1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this professor attracted to me?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by love23cali, Mar 12, 2020.

1. love23cali

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've noticed this professor looking at me perhaps inappropriately - staring often at my chest or further down at my crotch when I'm wearing gym pants as I'm looking away. I've caught her doing this now more times than I can count. I do have a larger chest but I don't show it off. Admittedly, I think yoga pants might show a bit of a camel if standing a particular way... But I certainly have seen her looking at my body a lot - crotch and breasts in particular. Even when I commented yesterday that I used to work out a lot and needed to get back to it, she took the opportunity to look my body up and down. I paused to scratch my knee as we walked yesterday and I saw her look down sideways at my crotch.

I left one day immediately after lecture - as opposed to staying around to chat as I usually would - and the following day I felt she was giving me a little attitude in front of the class. She even tried calling me out as though I wasn't paying attention, though I was actually following along the lecture slides on my computer. Other students turned and were looking at me as I explained this. She tried arguing that the slides hadn't been posted but then she realized they had been. It was a fairly tense moment...Her demeanor had changed entirely. I did stay behind a little to chat after the following lectures with another student present. Then today, I mentioned that I couldn't wait to get to the beach once finals were over and they asked if I had been to a particular beach nearby (known very well to be a nude beach).

And I know that body language isn't always clear enough to be considered to any great extent, but when we do talk in a group of three, I've noticed her a couple times moving closer to me and leaving a bit of distance between us and that third person. Though we still face that person and interact with them, she's standing by my side like she feels closer to me than to them.

Though I am female and love women myself, I'm not particularly interested in her. I do feel the desire to talk to her for some reason but do not feel as though I want to be with her romantically. I have at times felt uncomfortable realizing that she looks forward to chatting with me after class. That day I left early, I was actually unlocking my bike and I saw her leave the room, look around momentarily (for me?) and then walk off with her head down (and the following day was when she seemed to have attitude toward me)..but again, I admittedly do stay behind to chat because I want to. I suppose it's possible this may just be because I don't have enough older friends to chat with (I'm in my late twenties at a university in a new area among students who are several years younger).

Anyways, what do you think?

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is extremely inappropriate for a professor to behave like this, especially towards a student. Sure, body language isn't always clear, like you said yourself but, based on your post, I understand that her inappropriate looks are quite clear, right?

Have you expressed to her (verbally or not) that you aren't comfortable with this?

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What you are describing is concerning. However, I an curious whether you are you certain that what you are describing is what is objectively occurring. Or is it possible that you are (in Brené Brown language) making up a story with your interpretation of events that are happening that could fit a completely different narrative.

The latter is a lot more likely, but the only way to know would be to ask other people in the class in a neutral way what they have observed. For example, "Hey, I wonder if you have noticed Professor So-and-so paying any special notice to anyone in class" or "Hey have you noticed professor so-and-so showing particular favor or lack of favor toward anyone?"

4. love23cali

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I am certain about her looking at my crotch and my chest. I have seen this several times and she looks away just as I'm catching her doing it. I wasn't sure why she was doing it. I wondered if I had an obvious cameltoe showing. I'm a 5'8" female and it actually made me self-conscious enough to wonder if she was looking for a penis.

The rest of what I had written is conjecture. I've definitely seen her looking though as we are standing and talking.

5. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So given that the only thing you really have to go on is her looking at you. I'd go back to the suggestion to check in with others in the class and see what their perceptions are. I suspect you are reading something into the situation that is not objectively happening.

6. love23cali

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm not sure how one can make up someone staring at their parts? You're suggesting that instead of my crotch, she was looking at my knees? I'm not understanding. I'm not sure what else you would expect me to have to go on that isn't her straight out saying she wanted me.

I don't consider it reasonable to ask other students for their observations.

Last I talked to her, she was trying to find out where I lived. I answered that I lived about 15 minutes away and she responded "yes but that could be anywhere - 15 minutes up there, 15 minutes down there...where is it that you live?" I thought this was a little odd. I had merely answered "15 min away" because I couldn't possibly see how she would need any information beyond that.

7. Nelalvai

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think Chip's advice is way off. You don't need to check in with your classmates or anyone. You checked in with yourself and found that your professor is behaving strangely and it's making you uncomfortable. That's enough to act on. Maybe your professor is oblivious, or socially awkward, or whatever, IT DOESN'T MATTER, she is still making you uncomfortable. That's all you need to know, but if it wasn't enough--here you are, you checked in with us, and I say that the behavior described is not okay.

Your stats say you're in San Francisco--if your college receive any federal funding, it's subject to Title IX and has a vested interest in dealing with this. (Title IX protects students from sexual harassment and discrimination.) Find someone who deals with Title IX issues and ask them for advice. Bear in mind, most college staff/faculty are mandated reporters. This means under certain circumstances, they cannot keep what you tell them confidential. I still think you should talk to them--you can leave out names and focus on behavior. It doesn't have to turn into a report or an investigation unless/until you want it to, but you need someone local in your corner. If your college doesn't have Title IX resources, find another professor, or adviser, anyone you trust.

Sending you cyberhugs! Trust your instincts.

8. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With this most recent part, I concur that this is not a misperception on your part. It seems grossly inappropriate, and as the previous poster suggests, this is a very clear Title IX violation. I'm near certain that every college is required by law to have a Title IX coordinator/designee. I would talk to that person immediately. I agree that talking in general/theoretical terms first gives you options to see what would play out. I believe that these sorts of things cannot stay confidential -- the professor would know that you accused her -- so it isn't fun.

It's also a near certainty that this is not the first such incident this professor has had. It's possible the school has a file; you might be able to ask the Title IX coordinator about that, though s/he may not be able to tell you.

I'm sorry you're experiencing this. And I also apologize for misreading/misinterpreting what you described. Very often we do have situations where people read things into situations like this that don't happen, and so that was where my mind went first. This serves as a reminder to me to pay closer attention to these situations and not make assumptions.