1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Someone accompanying you to drs appointments

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dano218, Mar 13, 2020.

1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is something i was having a discussion about and was wondering what others thoughts were. My and my boyfriend accompany each other to drs appointments because we are both hard of hearing using hearing aids and for other reasons. and we always get asked who we are with. Sometimes we will downplay it because we are just private people. I notice how some doctors or other employees are always sometimes very intent on knowing who is with you and knowing why they are there and when it comes down to it why it is their business anyways. Can they just trust your ability to make that decision of who can be in the office with you and leave it at that. Sometimes I feel it is about the paranoia in regards to us being disabled and worried we are being taken advantage which is still not right.

2. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It’s a HIPAA requirement that anyone who interacts with PHI, releases, or discusses PHI, medical information, etc that they take “reasonable precautions” to safeguard your information. So in my experience it’s quite normal for them to be aware of who is with you during appointments, especially because they may be discussing something private and confidential.

3. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it still would be fair to assume if you bring someone in the room with you and keep them there that means you are comfortable with them knowing what is going on. I do understand what you mean about policy but sometimes it sounds more intrusive than it needs to be. It sounds like they are invading your privacy while thinking they are protecting your privacy.

4. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Right but the thing is, the doctor’s office can’t assume anything when it comes to HIPAA.

5. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just curious what happens than if you give them permission to be there and than say who they are is none of their business in a respectful manner. Is that acceptable?

I mean you wouldn't believe the kind of rude behavior i encountered when dealing with that kind of issue. Sometimes would get asked to leave when my boyfriend wanted me to stay in the room and they would keep pushing the issue until they gave in. Because of our disabilities we are there to protect each other and help each other out.

6. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’d assume so. I’m not an expert but normally unless it’s pre-established policy like in the icu or something as long as you make it known it’s okay for them to be there it souls be ok.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They might, if they are being super careful, ask you to sign a release allowing the other person to discuss the information. However, it is my understanding that if the doctor simply asks "are you OK with this person being present while we discuss information" that HIPAA is covered.

I have on multiple occasions either attended an appointment with a friend of mine, or had a friend attend an appointment with me. Kaiser (closest thing we have to socialized medicine in the US) is extremely precise and careful about HIPAA, and they have never given any grief about this at all. Sometimes they will ask just for informational purposes, but saying someone is 'a family friend' is no less legitimate than 'a family member' if you have given permission for them to have access to health information.

Also, quite honestly, if it is your boyfriend/partner, I'd disclose it. Doctors, especially in MN, should be pretty used to this and totally comfortable with it.

8. Chaosbi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After I was diagnosed with Bipolar I started taking my wife to all of my appointments because I sometimes have trouble paying attention and recalling everything was said during the appointment. I've never really had any problems after introducing her as my wife and most doctors are ok with it. I have however, had a few doctors that make me sign a consent form saying that I'm ok with them talking about my medical issues with her present or with her if she calls.

The only problem I really had was one of my psychiatrists would not let her in for any reason, even though we said it was in my best interest. You could easily tell it was because we were a same sex couple because we saw straight couples go in and come out together with no problems. So after the first two or three appointments we asked for another doctor, one who wouldn't have a problem with her coming in with me.

9. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    See when I go to my appointments my s/o goes in with me but he puts in his headphones and watches Hulu or YouTube listens to music whatever. Which for me, my anxiety and everything goes through the roof if he’s adjusting my meds or any thing like that so I like having my s/o there with me. Because he’s the type that if you tell him something he remembers it. Makes perfect notes. Possibly because of his law enforcement experience but. Then later when I’m freaking out because I can’t remember what my psychiatrist told me he’ll calm me down and explain in more simpler terms.

10. Loves books

I think if you bring a person in with you it should be obvious that you are fine with them knowing what’s going on but maybe it’s just curiosity to ask who it is.Most of the time I go to the doctor my mother will go in with me. I don’t have a problem with it. I am a grown adult but I live with my parents and talking about our health problems is daily conversation in my house. My mother went in with my dad to his last appointment taking along a small whiteboard I bought since my dad is recently deaf. According to her it made the appointment way easier.