1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Coronavirus seems unstoppable here in Iran...

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Vega222, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Coronavirus is spread everywhere here in this country and I have no idea what can stop it.

First, the Islamic government hid its outbreak because there was an election and they didn't want it to decrease the turnout.
    Then they accepted there is an outbreak, But they didn't take it seriously at all. They also refused to quarantine the holy city of Qom, Because it's a holy city!

Now there are probably tens of thousands of cases all around the country and there will be more and more day by day.

I'm really worried.

What will happen? What is your view?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51673053

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is a brazilian couple who are travelling around the world, posting videos of their adventure on YouTube. They near Iran right now and in their last video they were talking exactly about the Coronavirus case. They really wanted to visit Iran, but fear they might not be able to enter the country or, if they do, they might not be able to leave until the situation is resolved.

I just hope the people of Iran are safe and that everyone (including the government) is now taking the appropriate measures to control the virus and stop it's spread. I mean no disrespect, but I think that, if a quarantine is needed, then it should be done even if it is an important religious place, or at the very least create some sort of control to avoid huge agglomerations of people for the time being so to reduce the risks.

I don't think it's something to be extremely worried about, as I believe the media exaggerates things because of private interests (some companies wouldn't be able to sell masks with "special herbs to purify the air" and other kinds of bullshit if people weren't feeling alarmed about all of this). Of course, the virus is something that needs to be controlled and defeated, but I think that reporters comparing it to the Black Plague are just full of irresponsible nonsense.

3. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks and I hope you're right.
    But it's different in Iran. The government is the problem. This is not a regular dictatorship. They are a kakistocracy and they also believe in dangerous superstitious nonsenses. If foreign countries send aid for the people, They will probably steal them and then sell them to people!

Iran is a big country and it already spread everywhere. I don't see a good ending.

Noone respects these moron mullahs and their beliefs here.

4. Oliverrrrr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like an awful situation. The problem is if it becomes spread so widely that everyone is exposed - there is little known about whether you can get it twice, in which case it could last years. The upside of that is that it could possibly result in regime change - sometimes it takes hugely negative situations to create the push required.

It's already changing the way regular chinese folk think about their government, there is a huge and growing distrust now and it'll be interesting to see how that plays out in time to come.

I hope you can give updates on this thread about how things are in Ian. I feel for you and wish you and your family good health.

5. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks a lot. Yeah, I am fine. I'm at home these days and have not much worry about myself.
    But the situation is going to be really frightening. Everything is stopped, including football leagues.

It can result in a regime change, yeah, cuz maybe they can't manage the crisis at all. Maybe it will cause huge demonstrations. Maybe it will force the regime to give up, like the Soviet Union.
    Iran's government is much similar to the Soviet Union in its late days.

I wish the same for you and the UK.

#5 Vega222, Mar 1, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  6. Oliverrrrr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha, thanks. The only problem here (only? What am I saying?) is that we've already just had a regime change. Let's hope it's short lived!

7. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Was it that bad?

8. Loves books

It got scary when the virus started spreading world wide. There are books and movies about this kind of thing happening and they never end well. There’s even a game Plague Inc ( which I just found out was removed from China’s App Store) in which the whole point is to infect the entire world. The first confirmed case in the Republic of Ireland was a kid who came back from Italy and went to school. They sent the entire school home and parents have been told what to look out for. It literally seemed like China one day, the world the next.

9. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mean we live in a world where traveling is vastly inexpensive for a fair chunk of the population and where China is probably the biggest exporter worldwide meaning business with China has probably never been as high as it’s been in the last couple of decades. It wasn’t ever going to stay in China.

I blame mostly airlines/cruise and other transportation companies, who refuse to reimburse people despite the whole corona crisis. Meaning people WILL continue to travel even if they are sick, automatically spreading it to other countries as passengers continue to travel to their final destinations as they can’t afford to lose the money. Same for working rights in the US where, living in California, people cannot afford not to work or to take unpaid leave and therefore will most likely show up at work despite being sick as to not miss out on their paycheck.

Living in a capitalist society is what leads to things like Coronavirus spreading further than it would otherwise in my opinion.

10. Rin311

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We live in the same neighborhood, and like you, we're dealing with the virus as well. The government here didn't hide it, and they do test people and quarantine them, but they do a bad job at it - just the other day there was a video of people returning from Italy who said that they were not tested at the airport in any way. And those who get quarantine are usually sent to their homes to stay there, and of course on the way they use cars, taxis, etc... it's a mess. It also bring out the racism in people, unfortunately - as a Korean I feel it and see it too well.
    I really support the Iranian people in their fight against the Islamic government. You guys deserve so much better. I would love to visit Iran someday once the regime there changes for the better. Take care.

11. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks and wish the same for you.
    Which government do you mean? Korea? Answer if it's no secret.

12. Rin311

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry for the confusion - I’m a Korean living in the Middle East. I was referring to the government here. The situation in Korea is far, far worse unfortunately.

13. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...oronavirus-problem-lot-worse-it-seems/607663/

The average of these estimates is about 2 million, which is about 250 times the official number and 15 times the total cases acknowledged worldwide. According to models, Tuite told me, the point-prevalence of COVID-19 in Canada could rise to 5 to 10 percent of the total population when the epidemic reaches its peak. These numbers, which I have shown to experts, suggest that Iran might be at or near that point.

14. Loves books

The virus has really gotten out of control everywhere. My brother is no longer coming for a visit, my sister is considering cancelling a flight home and my mother won’t even hug me or my dad because she’s the only one getting out regularly and says if we get the virus it’s through her. Sh also convinced there’s going to be a toilet paper shortage. Schools and crèches are closed and people are encouraged to work from home if at all possible. How dangerous is the virus? Only one person has died in my country and my country does all this. If you’re not a young child, elderly or have an underlying medical condition you would probably have a good chance of recovering from the virus.

15. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I see. That's very sad to see it is spreading in so many countries.
    I live in an area that is not affected much yet. But some of my friends are living in the worst cities. It seems some major cities are like a ghost town.
    The clerical state seems to spend their bad hair days. :slight_smile:) They did/do nothing and they make it spread deliberately apparently.

#15 Vega222, Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  16. Oliverrrrr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It doesn't seem to be affecting children at all, at least, they don't seem to develope any bad effects from It.

I'm in a large city that's got around 200 confirmed cases though there will be thousands more untested. They're only testing people that have been to a 'restricted area like China or Italy or those that have been in contact with a person that's already tested positive. As with any virus, most times it'll enter through the mouth so a common first sign is a feeling of getting a cold in the back of the throat, a dry congested feeling. And if you're fit and well that is all you might have if you get this thing, and they won't be in quarantine, or staying home, but they are still panicking buying pasta and loo roll for no reason.

So there are likely 10's of thousands of people now carrying it with very minor symptoms all going to work and infecting others. Chances are that a huge percentage of people here have it already. 4 out of 5 people won't know they've got anything worse than a bit of a cold, and some not even that.

I have a bit of a cold. I could have it. The problem i have is in wondering about visiting my mum who's 85 and gets any cold going. Lucky she's in relatively isolated place, but i don't want to be the one that causes her death. And that's the dilemma with this thing.

#16 Oliverrrrr, Mar 13, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  17. Madge Beurde

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All theocracies are dangerous but so are totalitarian governments of any kind.
    They have little need of respect when fear and corruption are so widespread. What really repulses me is the hypocrisy of the religious police. I was in Iran not so long ago. A friend working with a foreign embassy invited me to visit a ’traditional’ all male bathhouse with him. Soon after arriving the place was raided by the religious police. If my friend hadn’t translated what was going on around me I’d never have understood what ensued. Those caught taking the passive roll in male/male sex acts were arrested on the spot. Apparently when later tried by the religious ‘court’ ( we can’t really describe it as a court in the Western sense) they would be given given a choice of being stoned to death or submitting to a sex change operation, often conducted by amateurs with fatal results. Those found taking the active role in male/ male sex acts were fined heavily with the proceeds going directly into the pockets of the religious police and authorities. One loud argument between the ‘police' and two men caught in the act was amazing. Apparently both were themselves Islamic clerics. They got off with a long reprimand some kind of penance.
    My friend told me the bathhouse itself continued ‘business as usual’ for months afterwards. I have no idea what the situation is now and can only hope all such facilities are closed while Covid 19 is rife in the country as were bathhouses in the US during the early days of the AIDS epidemic.

#17 Madge Beurde, Mar 14, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  18. Madge Beurde

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My dilemma is I’m 75 and have a serious cardiac condition which means if I do acquire Covid 19 I have a very high chance of leaving the planet. I’ve taken to wearing a mask which here in Tasmania with few known cases (5 at last count) wearing a mask has everyone thinking I’m infected when I’m not.

I was lucky to not be infected with HIV during the early days of that epidemic due to a friend working in the US laboratory that first isolated the virus phoning me and warning me about unprotected sex.

#18 Madge Beurde, Mar 14, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2020
  19. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, And this theocracy is a totalitarian one of course.
    About fear, Right! A few weeks ago we had a so-called election and many of my family members voted because they think it will have some consequences if someone doesn't vote!

Wow. Sexual behaviour in the bathhouse?!!
    Yeah, Sex change operation! That's how they think about these matters. That's their "solution"!
    We hear such stories here and there. But still, It's shocking and new for me. I didn't know these details! Shocking...
    Thanks for sharing!

You know, People are going to overthrow the mullahs' government and they won't let clerics live here. Even those who are not related to the government. People really hate mullahs and political Islam. They've destroyed everything and they've murdered countless people.

#19 Vega222, Mar 15, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  20. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Iran seems such a noble country with amazing people, history and culture. I hate seeing Iran suffering with this virus ... to say nothing of being relentlessly bullied by sanctions.
    Look after yourself and follow all the good advice about protecting yourself from this virus.