1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT Books

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Dauntless, May 10, 2012.

1. Kamaline

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think the film was released this year:slight_smile:
    And I liked it, so I'd say it's worth watching^^

2. Broccoli

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Haven't read the thread so these may already have been mentioned: 'A Place Called Winter' and 'Rough Music' by Patrick Gale. These two have gay main characters and gay-themed plotlines but all the other books by him I've read have also been brilliant.

3. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Anybody read the All For The Game series?

4. Cool Bananas

Brisbane, but I seem to fly as much as superman
    A few books I have read in the past couple of years; only just found this thread, links are to amazon in case you were wondering.

The Glass Closet.
    The book is written by John Browne who was once CEO of BP, I used to read a lot of business books when I was younger so for me an interesting book to read, he talks about homophobia in the work place, in one way talks about how its getting better for LGBT staff but then he didn't come out when he was actually CEO, and the way its written John still seems to closeted.

The Velvet Rage

Written by psychologist Alan Downs who draws on his own struggle with shame and anger and growing up gay in a straight world, I read this part of a gay book club and some people suggested it was like Alan was giving the reader a lesson on psychology like you were one of his patients. The book does suggest some good theories and ideas why people might feel negative about being gay and it gives some hints on how to deal with those feelings.

5. Cool Bananas

Brisbane, but I seem to fly as much as superman
    Another couple of books that I have read, these books were written by Australians so I have listed them separately, I would guess they are almost autobiographies 2 different people who grew up gay in Australia. I have met both men, links to booktopia,

Tell me I'm Ok A Doctors Story
    Dr David Bradford is a retired sexual health doctor who discusses different parts of his life, growing up gay in a christian family, serving in Vietnam, working at Melbourne Communicable Diseases Centre at the time of the arrival of HIV/AIDS and then as a doctor in private practice. A few stories, some sad but also heart warming stories. the book discusses the HIV/AIDS virus in Australia so it provides some history on how it was handled in Australia.

The Devils Grip
    This book was written by Neal Drinnan as told to him by Bob Perry, the book centres around the murder of Darcy Wettenhall and 2 members of his family. Bob was the secret lover of Darcy Wettenhall who was a world renowned sheep farmer. Bob had grown up in Victoria and was married and had 3 children, the marriage broke down and he met up with Darcy Wettenhall and Bob helped Darcy on his sheep farm while they had a private affair. Bob eventually left Darcy and moved back to Melbourne and Darcy found another sheep hand who eventually killed him and Bob told the story to Neal about the story with Darcy and Bobs life.

So both books are Australian based, Dr David Bradford grew up became a doctor and had a long term gay relationship, Bob grew up and got married before ending his marriage and has had a few relationships during his life so it gives you a different view of gay life in Australia.

Happy reading.

6. zoro26

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ellen Hopkins- the you I’ve never known has bisexual and lesbian characters in it. She does a good job of talking about how some one feels while they try to figure who they are. Being bi I relate to what the main character went through. It’s a great book. She is my favorite Author.

7. Gabrielaxo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I liked reading The Gravity Between Us a lot!

8. Loves books

I just had a short argument with my mother about my unwillingness to read autobiographies and the fact she hates that I read, what she terms ‘lesbian love affairs’. I think she thinks I’m reading erotica and doesn’t seem to get that what I read is normal but with two women in the love story. I’m currently re-reading Unexpected by Jenny Frame. She has some great books her Royal series is great and her Series about a werewolf pack gets better with each book. There’s a third series set in a tiny village in England that is really good too.

9. Jacqui H

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    CW: many of the books are for adults and have strong language, sexual imagery and some include death, suicide or ideation.

As far as fiction with vampires: Anne Rice's vampire chronicles have a lot of gay or bi themes in the characters.

Most of what I have read that is LGBT was purely when I was coming to grips and accepting myself. They are mostly about or by trans folks although some are queer based. None of the following are fiction. I have seen at least two mentioned in the thread:

Whipping Girl by Trans woman Julia Serano: Interesting femminist book from perspective of someone who has lived in both Genders.
    She's not There: A Life in Two Genders by Trans woman Laura Finn Boyle
    Stone, Butch, Blues by Trans Man/Queer ‎Leslie Steinberg
    Transgender Warriors by Leslie Steinberg (basic queer/trans history)

Transgender History by Julia Stryker( what it says).
    Redefining Realness by Janet Mock is her story
    Becoming Nicole by Amy Ellis Nutt about a young trans girl who grows up mostly in Maine. She is now a trans superhero on Supergirl
    Gender Outlaw by Queer/Transwoman "Aunty Kate" Kate Bornstein. Many other books too.
    Read My Lips: Sexual Subversion and the End of Gender by Riki A Wilchins
    My Husband Betty: Love, Sex and Life With a Crossdresser by Helen Boyd. She is a therapist. This book and the following one are from the perspective of the spouse . She has a support site for SOs. Betty ended up fulfilling the old trans joke and the followup book is.
    She's not the Man I Married: My Life With a Transgender Husband by Helen Boyd. Once again, from the perspective of the spouse. Both are good to read to understand what your SO might be feeling.

There are so many more. I have read two or three others in this vein but don't remember at the time. Oh, I think history is important. Many feel that there were no gays or trans or.... over a hundred years ago. Now we're popping up everywhere. That is not true. This is part of why though i Prefer fiction, I read much history of LGBTQ+. There is a pod cast that is mostly trans based but fairly based in factual history. It is called One From the Vaults by Morgan M. Page too is pretty good and may be worth a Patreon donation from some of us.

Thanks for your time. Sorry it's so much,

Warmly,
    Jacqui

10. JESS2825

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Does anyone read any of the Melissa Brayden books? They are really good if you just want a good lesbian romance novel. She has like 20 of them too.

11. Loves books

I’ve read them all. I buy them as soon as they are released on kindle, she’s pretty dependable for a good book. She’s not my favourite author but I like her books.

12. JESS2825

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah, she isn't mine either but they are good quick reads and she is better at writing love stories than other authors but, they can be pretty cheese at times which I don't like. If I had to choose my favorite LGBT book it would probably be " Her name in the sky" by Kelly Quindlen. Its a YA novel but its really good.

13. Loves books

I’ve already read that too, a couple of years ago. It was good but nowhere near my favorite even in the YA category. For teen books I really liked the Clarksonville series by Barbara L Clanton. I also really liked Just Juliet by Charlotte Reagan. If you want something college aged the I Found My Heart In San Francisco series by Susan X Meagher is really good. One of my favorite authors is Robin Alexander. Her books are hilarious and have a great love story too. The Summer Of Our Discontent is one of my favourites from her.

14. JESS2825

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks, I haven't read any of them so I will be looking into them.

15. BlueMonday

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Love Dennis Cooper.

16. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If anyone likes poetry, I do know of a book recently released(today) (March 10, 2020). I’ve been following the progress rather closely.

“I Watched Through Windows”, by Chesca Christine.

Very much LGBT subject matter, the author is Transexual so I’m fairly certain a fair chunk of people here can relate.

The book is recommended for high school and older, simply because some of the content matter of the poems.

#396 Phoenix92, Mar 10, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  17. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm currently reading "Sorted: A Transgender Memoir" by Jackson Bird. Jackson is a trans man who is a YouTube star and public speaker. So far it's a really great book about his life, growing up as a girl, having gender dysphoria, and eventually transitioning as an adult. He writes so well and adds a lot of charm and humor to the book.

18. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Mama's Boy by Dustin Lance Black

19. JESS2825

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey Loves Books, thanks for the suggestions I really liked The summer Of our Discontent it was hilarious, I really liked Robin Alexander books, in general, I have read like 8 so far. I haven't able to read Found my heart in San Francisco, because the whole serious is a little bit out of my budget at the moment and I know that I will want to read the whole thing if I like it. So, yeah anyways thanks for the suggestions I really appreciate it. :grin: :right_facing_fist:

20. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Another new release, again by Chesca Christine:
    Into Dust
    The very brief synopsis:
    Samantha never thought she'd be much of anything, and then the world ended