1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long did it take you to say "I love you"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tigermud, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Tigermud

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I'm seeing a girl but we're not in a relationship officially.
    I really like her and I've told her I've fallen for her.
    I don't think it's a good idea to say "I love you" I terms of us being single. Even though I have a gut feeling there's love there.
    I've only known her for 2 months , but I feel we really appreciate each other.theres no signs of toxicity.

About 4 years ago,I've told a friend/girl once "I love you" after about 5montgs of knowing her cause we had a connection. It didn't turn out well though. But that situation was different to the one I'm currently in now.

2. CactiCat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you are in the moment and it feels right, I’d say do it. Something to think about if she reacted poorly or didn’t feel the same way what would she do? Would she be understanding or would she not? I wish I could be of more help but I don’t have a lot of experience.

3. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Two months seems really soon, but that’s my feeling and everyone is different, so each to their own. Having said that, in your situation I think I would have a discussion around whether to call it an “official relationship” before saying “I love you”. That might give you a sense of whether they are on the same page.

I’ve only said it to one person and it was way too soon. The other person said they knew I felt it back, insisted that I said it, and due to the pressure, I eventually did. I never really meant it and I should have listened to my feelings a little more.

4. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @LostInDaydreams I agree. I'd have the relationship talk first.

We made it "official" after a month, and said I love you like...5, 6 months in? It was the first relationship for both of us and if I wasn't the anxious person I am, I probably would have said it a month or two sooner.

In my opinion it could be huge redflag if you take a superrr long time to make your relationship official, but it's nearly the redflag if you take quite awhile to say ily.

5. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Current relationship it took maybe 6 or 7 months and she actually said it first. Also my first same sex relationship, and first relationship in which I said I love you to the other person. Haha.

6. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I've only dated one girl who said I love you. We had been official for a little over a month, and she said it first. I know that sounds really soon, but we'd been very close for a good amount of months prior to dating (basically becoming best friends over that time), and we had said it to each other in a friendly manner prior to that point.

So yeah, it's not something I say in an "unofficial" relationship, but I also don't know if there's a certain point it's okay or not. I've heard people generally say around 3 months?? But I have no idea.

7. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Three months after we started dating. It would've been sooner but all of my previous relationships had ended just before the three-month marker and I guess I just didn't want to "jinx" it or something. For weeks before we actually said "I love you", I'd been answering requests with "As you wish" both as a Princess Bride reference and a way to say it without actually saying it.