1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You In or Out? Trans closet discussion

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by LaurenSkye, Mar 1, 2020.

1. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Since being a trans person and being in the closet is tougher than just being gay or lesbian, I thought I would open up a discussion about being trans and being in the closet. This can be for anyone who is trans, non-binary, genderqueer, gender-fluid, or any other gender identity that falls on the trans* spectrum. It also doesn't matter if you are fully in the closet, partially out, or even fully out.

If you are still in the closet, why are you? Do you know people around you will not accept you or is it just the general worry that they wont? Have you ever seriously considered coming out? Are there changes you have to make from day to day to stay in the closet? How does being closeted make you feel?

If you are fully or partially out, what made you decide to come out? Who was the first person you told, how, and why? How did they react? Were you forced out of the closet or discovered to be trans by someone?

You can talk about any one, two, or all of these things if you wish. You have something else closet-related you want to share that I didn't mention feel free. If you want to ask other people a question that wasn't mentioned here, you can do that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I, myself, and closeted with my family and that's all. I never really see them with out knowing I'm going to see them. When I go out during the day I dress somewhat feminine, but when I get together with my family I have to butch it up to stay in the closet. It can be frustrating sometimes to have to change when I'm around them. I also wonder when I am around them and I see someone I normally see while dressed femme, what does that person think. I'm pretty sure my immediate family would support me personally (regardless of their overall views) but I'm uncomfortable with the physical act of telling them and having to talk about it.

#1 LaurenSkye, Mar 1, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  2. VeetotheX

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am mostly closeted, the only people who know are my parents (in order to help me get the medical aspects sorted) and my best friends. I told my friends it was something I was thinking about first, but the first people I really came out to was my parents, telling them I was going through with transition. Most of the reason I'm not out is because I want to start medically transitioning before I do anything socially. I just don't feel comfortable calling myself a woman until I start seeing some of the physical changes.

I don't really worry much about coming out to friends and immediate family. I have some doubts about one of my sisters who is a radical feminist, and while she respects that trans people need to transition and uses correct names/pronouns, she doesn't fully recognize them as their gender and says things like 'you can always tell'. My main anxiety actually comes from my athletic life. I do competitive rock climbing and I love it, but I'm worried about judgement once I come out, even though I plan on competing as male for the first year or so.

Being closeted doesn't give me pause for the most part, but sometimes I get hit with a request for pronouns, or a gender checkbox on a survey, and I feel torn. It's like I'm being actively made aware of my gender in an uncomfortable way.

3. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am fully out, yet stealthing it.

‘Meaning I’m open about my transition if people inquire but I don’t broadcast it

NoName87 and VeetotheX like this.
  4. Katelyn93

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm sort of in-out?
    At one point I was more certain than ever that I wanted absolutely to transition and live my life as a woman, no matter what. (spoiler alert, I wasn't ready). Anyhow, my girlfriend, best friend, some uncles and aunts and several psychology docs knew but I decided to just let most of the rest know too, so several close coworkers, more family and pretty much all my friends, my mother and father and my 6 brothers and sisters.

At the time I wanted to start presenting so I went on a shopping spree and got myself lots of feminine clothing and shoes and stuff that I thought I would wear and makeup and all the stuffs. I started just wearing it at home and at my parents home and around friends if it was good and safe. Then I went to my friend's band shows dressed up and used the relevant bathrooms and whatever have you without too much issues. It was going well I think, I even found an informed concent clinic to start hormones once the blood work was done.

Just as I got more or less used to it my girlfriend had a massive meltdown about our failing relationship, about how she didn't want to date a woman and how she can't stand me whan I'm me and not the old me. At the same time several family members and friends were still calling me dude, and bro and by my given name and just sort of treating it like it never happened. This was especially true for my parents too, I'd be there in a dress and heels and makeup and feeling like the world could not tople me, just to be called Leon and bam, I'm an uncertain mess feeling yuk in my own skin. Eventually uncertainty got the better of me, I started doubting if it's what I was and if what I felt was valid and of I really wanted to lose what I felt like I was losing and before I could actually makeup my mind and figure things out, I had let my shame steer me back into the closet.

I'm permanently in male mode, not because I want to be, not because I don't want to go ahead, but because I'm emotionally stupid and let my fear and worry and especially the thought of being without my girlfriend push me right back into hiding.

So most folks around me know, they might consider it a phase or a kink or something, they might think it's over and gone because they don't see it all the time, I don't know. I just know I felt better about myself and had a sort of acceptance of myself in that brief time that was better than ever and I miss it and the friends who left when I turned my back on myself for my relationship. Apparently they couldn't handle me putting myself down for a lover like I did and the resulting depression and negativity.

Whatever. As I said. In out.

Katelyn.

NoName87 likes this.
  5. HoodieClub

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm in a weird sort of position, because I'm out to my parents, and most of my friends. At school, if anyone asks I'll say that I'm non-binary to most, if not all, but I'm not really sure how one of my oldest friends will react, seeing as her christianity led her to not be totally comfortable with gay stuff. I'm planning on just getting a pronoun pin and wearing it to school, which will be nerve-wracking, but I'm tired of people not knowing who I am. Plus, I just moved this year, so most people won't care.

Almost every time that I've come out, it's been on impulse. For my dad, he said he was glad I was being such a supportive allie to my trans friends, and I said I might be more than supportive. With one of my friends, we were with some friends at lunch running around with pride flags, and I ended up with the non-binary one. I looked over to my friend and said that I was glad I was able to carry my flag. She was like, do you know what that flag means? And I said yes. Both of those times and all the others, I wasn't planning on coming out, I just decided 'welp, I'm doing this now'. I like that way of coming out.

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a bit of a mix. Most of my coworkers know. Some clients I work with have an idea. For reference, I work a job where I work primarily with men. I don't really worry about being in or out. If it comes out, I handle it, but I don't worry too much about it. Most people just read me as being "super gay". So, that throws a lot of people off. At the end of the day, I'm lucky to be in a position where I pass, so that helps me to not worry about being in or out as much.

#6 BradThePug, Mar 7, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  7. Squeeze

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well for me it's tough since I'm very much fresh at this, I only just found out that I'm non-binary and I feel super paralyzed when it comes to doing anything to change my presentation. So I've technically told my parents and my two closest friends, but really I doubt any of them actually understand how much of a drastic change I'm going for. So I'm currently in a rather upsetting sort of limbo, where I've already come out to the people closest to me, but that hasn't helped me nearly as much as I'd hoped in getting me to work towards being comfortable with myself. I feel like I'm still closeted to basically everyone I've told, just because they don't understand that I'm not just asking for different pronouns (which I haven't even done yet either so :L).

Anyway, it's not quite so frustrating in all honesty, I do have moments of clarity that are pretty awesome and I did just recently come out to an older sibling of mine who is almost unquestionably going to break the mold regarding my experiences coming out up until now. But still, where I am now I feel rather stuck for the most part

8. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It can be difficult for other people to understand what non-binary is. That's a big reason why I haven't told my family. Did you feel comfortable telling your family? If so, then maybe you should next tell them what being non-binary means to you and what kind of changes you are going for. I also do have those moments of clarity that are awesome. Mostly when I'm with the non-binary support group I joined recently. They are some really great people who I enjoy being around.

#8 LaurenSkye, Mar 9, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  9. Marble Jar

Marble Jar Guest

I told two people how i feel, one relative and one friend. I chose those two because i thought they would be the most understanding. My friend was great about it and the family member not too bad after the initial shock. It felt good to tell someone because it helped me to clarify where i stood on things. So far i've not felt ready to tell anyone else, mainly because i would like to alter my appearance more before i do that so that i feel more myself. Also there are definitely people i know that would have a problem with accepting it. It is frustrating sometimes to be half in half out and worrying about reactions, but it is a work in progress.