1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Love, Simon TV Series Renamed & Moved to Hulu

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Chierro, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    https://deadline.com/2020/02/love-s...-date-opens-season-2-writers-room-1202866549/

Many updates on the Love, Simon TV series today!
    • It's been renamed Love, Victor after its main character and honestly makes so much more sense.
    • It's premiering in June!!
    • A Season 2 may already be in the works...?
    • It's been moved from Disney+ to Hulu. And Hulu may be releasing a trailer soon.
    There have been many reactions from people about the move and, personally, I feel they're unwarranted.

Ever since Disney+ got announced, Disney has been clear that some content will go on Disney+ and some will go on Hulu (which Disney also owns). This is Disney we're talking about so some things are to be expected from them. They don't typically advertise underage drinking and, well, actual problems and lives of teenagers in their shows.

A lot of people reacting negatively to the news (a lot of LGBT authors I've seen on Twitter) have been treating the move as if it's because of the main character being gay and it being a gay love story. Except, the show was always going to be gay. It was literally picked up that way. And developed that way. Not to mention, Disney has Andi Mack (which yeah, was cancelled) and High School Musical: The Musical: The Series with one character having two moms and two gay teen characters.

From the Deadline article (which Becky Albertalli shared as a citation for more information when she posted about the news), there's no indication that the move is due to the LGBT content but instead due to things like underage drinking and a subplot surrounding parents. Which, honestly, knowing Disney, I can believe them treating those kinds of things as content they would rather have on Hulu. And I think having that content is going to make the series feel much more genuine and on par with the movie.

Thoughts or excitement about the series?

2. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm still excited for the series but now I'm annoyed because I have to pay for another streaming service just to watch it, instead of leaving it on the one I already pay for. Ugh!

3. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    See, that's a valid reason for getting annoyed. I already have Hulu so it doesn't bother me as much. Now, two of Adam Silvera's books are being adapted to HBO Max...so I'm mildly annoyed at having to pay for that eventually.

4. BlueMonday

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm tired of the innocuous love story angle, we need more gay fiction like Dennis Cooper's.