1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Russia

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ryu, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Ryu

Ryu

So I'm off to Russia this week as part of a school history trip, which is very exciting. Less exciting is knowing that I'm not really welcome there.

So, has anybody here been to Russia? And if you have, do you have any advice as to how I can not get beat?

Thanks very much xoxoxo

2. BadassFrost

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As long as you won't show affection in public and won't be shouting something like "I'm gay, lesbian, bi, etc.." to people around you, you should be totally fine.
    Russia is a beautiful country when it comes to culture and nature, but it is indeed pretty conservative, and you have to bear that in mind when being there.

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think the big cities are more tolerant than smaller cities and rural areas. I hear it's expensive. That takes it out of the running. I am more interested in visiting less expensive Balkan countries. Enjoy your trip and be safe.

4. Ryu

Ryu

Well I'm back from Russia now. Honestly I had an amazing time, went to Moscow and St Petersburg, St Petersburg is so much nice in my opinion, quite successful as well, came back with a load of Russian stuff I've wanted that's hard to find in the UK for decent prices.
    So I personally didn't have any problems, probably cos my bf doesn't take history so didn't come.
    The people that did have problems were the girls in my group. One girl in particular seemed to be very popular with gropey drunk men, which got quite serious at some points, which was genuinely scary as it's not something that really happens around where I live.
    Suprisingly though, I counted at least 5 potential lesbian couples, but no gay couples which I find interesting.
    Disclaimer: not sure if they were couples or not but just holding hands in public over there is still risky business from what I experienced so

But yeah definitely would recommend just go with a group, I really wouldn't want to go to Russia with less than 3 people, preferably more.

5. Halolala

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I would love to visit Russia one day, but I have heard a special written permission is required. Can someone confirm or deny it? Is that even true at all?

6. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sure it is a nice country, but definitely on my blacklist. I will not put money into the economy of a country with hateful and discriminatory laws towards the LGBT community.