I am not broken!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by BlueBoy2, Feb 7, 2020.

1. BlueBoy2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out about a year ago. Today, while talking with one of my closest friends, he told me that he wished he could "fix" me. Kinda hit me hard!

2. Oliverrrrr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's tough isnt it? To realise that someone you like, a friend, thinks that way. I'm sure you explain things to them a bit but that kind of change can take time. All you can hope is that in time they'll grow and learn.

:slight_smile:

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there, sorry to hear that this happened. It is never pleasant when a friend makes a comment like this (even as a light hearted remark, which doesn't seem to have happened here). Have you indicated to your friend as to how the comment made you feel?

Hopefully, over time, your friend will come to understand that there is nothing that needs to be fixed, aside from his understanding of human sexuality, sexual orientations.

Has he said other things along the same line in the past? When you came out to him, what did he say? What was his reaction?

4. BlueBoy2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't yet told my friend how that comment made me feel. I didn't really want to "get into it" at the time. At some point though, I'd like to discuss it more with him.

He hasn't said much along the same line before. And when I came out to him, he said "oh I've known for a long time about your "bi-ness". I don't really remember this, but I guess years ago, I had confided in him that I felt I was bi -- which I only did because I felt it would be easier for him to accept my non-heterosexuality. I've always been gay though.

So it seems he wasn't surprised; moreover, he hasn't made me feel like something was "wrong" with me -- until yesterday. It's been about a year since I came out to him.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, I think it would be good if you were to try speaking with your friend about it; it might be worthwhile to have it of your chest as it were. As a friend, and if he is a good friend, he should be able to understand and hopefully realise that what he said, wasn't appropriate, and needs to think about the meaning of it.

6. BlueBoy2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you Mirko for your thoughts.