1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone into gardening?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Austin, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm, I was looking to buy some horticultural charcoal to mix into my orchid medium and I realized I have no friends to ask recommendations or talk to about plant stuff! Lol. So curious how many people or if anyone here is into gardening and what you grow? (;

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I will have to get back to you on that when I have more time. Also, I don’t know why but I feel like a lot of people I know are starting to grow plants. Are plants trending right now?

3. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like more people are starting to get into indoor gardening but that might just be an awareness thing. I never did indoor plants until I moved to a place without a yard.

4. TrevinMichael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love growing plants. Choose the right place. Orchids such as window sills, look to the east and west. Strong, direct sunlight tolerate these tender plants are not good, and projects. On the other hand you like temperatures between 10 and 25 degrees C (50 F and 75 F), airy space, with over 60% humidity. In the winter, you need a lot of light. Irrigation - the land and the root between the two seasons completely dry - carefully add the flower once a week. You can fertilize orchids in late spring or during the flowering period. When the cold weather and good light, you can replant the orchid. Orchids breathe through their roots, so use the special mix for orchids. Pay attention to light conditions - when the leaves are dark green orchid, is a sign that your orchid needs more light. The room temperature can vary at night you can have a little cooler temp. If the leaves start to turn yellow, it usually means that it is necessary to increase the temperature in the room. Fill a bucket with water and soak the plant beneath the surface for a short period of time. This should help, I have never added anything to the Orchid mix.

#4 TrevinMichael, Jan 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  5. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^orchids are the best!

My two new babies...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wish my yard was better suited for gardening, but it's way too shady and small to grow most things.

However, I shamelessly have hopped on the houseplant band wagon. I have a couple I bought at the greenhouse last summer, and a couple I'm trying to propagate from friends/family. And the second Spring rolls around I'm going to buy more lol.

7. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not really, my parents love gardening and they grow their own fruit and veg, but it never rubbed off on me. I have, however, started to get into conservation, and I've been helping to maintain a local woodland and been learning all kinds of things I didn't have a clue about back when I was a city boy.

8. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Which ones? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

My patio is also north facing and shaded :frowning2: everything seems to stay too wet and die.

9. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a spider plant, a snake plant (laurentii), prayer plant (leuconeura), 3 sad African violets (just put in soil after propagating), and trying to propagate another snake plant (vipers bowstring)

#9 HM03, Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  10. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm attempting a grow a cactus in my apartment. It's working somewhat well so far. It has a little pink flower now.

11. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ohh pretty much all the plants I don’t have! Except for snake plants, but I got those recently, since they seem to have become cheaper! Spider plant is on my list someday. And I always wanted African Violets but I think their potential window space will be taken by orchids... hmm, maybe. Why are they sad?? You propagated them?

More plants I haven’t grown! I used to, possibly illegally, collect tiny cacti from the wild when I was maybe 8 years old and lived in Arizona. But I haven’t had them since. I love their flowers!

#11 Austin, Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  12. Jesuis moi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've grown all kinds of plants all my life . Since I was 7 years old , My mother used to have a magazine style garden and I was her helper . I specialize in Orchids , aquatic plants and bonsai trees. I grow the Orchids and the bonsai trees indoor using LED lights . The aquatics grow outside in the summer and hybernate them inside during winter months.
    in the summer time the manager of my building allows me to have a vegetable garden that grows very well and I share the vegetables to all the neighbors
    Gardening like anything else is a lots of research and learning.

13. sagebrush

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I started my tomato seeds indoors today.

I've been gardening -- indoor and outdoor -- for years, and spring is my favorite season. Indoor plants bring life into my home and make me feel like I'm getting free air-cleaning during the winter, and outdoor plants create a sanctuary for me to relax in. Gardening for me is meditation, exercise, stress relief, and therapy — and I get beautiful flowers, beneficial pollinators, and fresh-picked food for a little bit of effort.

14. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Because it's been almost 7 months and they still aren't growing roots.

I also forgot about the geranium my dad wanted me to over winter.

15. Loves books

Last year my mother and I went to a garden center, she bought the flowers she liked and I bought the flowers I liked. We got home and filled every pot or window box we could find full of potting soil and flowers. I plan to do the same this year but I want to plant some seeds this year. It was too late last year but I think around March/April is the recommended time to plant seeds. I want to find something I can throw in mud outside and leave to it’s own devices. Ideally something that comes back each year.