1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valentines Day Thread

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by CactiCat, Jan 24, 2020.

1. CactiCat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So Valentine’s Day is coming up and I thought it may be a good idea to make a thread for things like opinions on it and advice or anything otherwise Valentine’s Day related.

I’ll start us off. How do y’all feel about this coming Valentine’s Day?

2. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm single and I've never celebrated Valentine's Day. Ever. Unless you count grade school (Elementary/Primary) when you were forced to make red, pink and yellow hearts out of paper and give them to your fellow students. Talk about encouraging popularity contests from a young age. Yuck. So to me Valentine's day is overrated and isn't really significant.

But ask me again in a couple of years when I might have a boyfriend and I might be a lovesick puppy then. :grin:

3. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Valentine's Day???
    [​IMG]

4. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My Mom gets furious if I don't get her a box of chocolates and a card every February 14th. Like, she'll spite me and say "You better make it up to me in your Mother's Day gift!"

5. CactiCat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Personally I didn’t used to mind Valentine’s Day but now that I have a boyfriend I’m actually not looking forward to it just because I don’t like getting gifts. Idk why it just messes with me.

6. Oliverrrrr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's an invented day designed for selling stuff, initially cards but now gift, holidays, cars, you name it.

Personally i dislike it as it makes my gf expect grand romantic gestures which are not natural to me. I dislike looking into people eyes as it is, 2 hours of mooning across a dinner table somewhere.....no thanks.

But we do have plans. Contemporary dance from a big name in an intimate venue, then next day a drag roller-disco. We'd have done those things anyway though. :grin:

#6 Oliverrrrr, Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  7. Cas girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don’t like it.
    The concept, the misinterpretation of why it is actually called Valentine day.

The guys here decided whether you are looking for a relationship or not based on the colour of the dress you wore that. I had to hound my friends ( who had boyfriends) for the neutral or ‘ I will gut you ‘ colour.

Thank goodness I am not in college anymore.

I find the day as more of an inconvenience than something to celebrate.

8. Chizu

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never had a boyfriend during Valentine's Day. I don't like it. There should be a holiday where couples have to give gifts to single people. I want a box of those fancy $50 chocolates the day before Valentine's day every year I'm single so I can stomach the pain of being reminded I'm single. It better be expensive to, none of that cheap crap from the supermarket.

9. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wanted to take my friend to see a movie for Valentine's Day, but he was a little uncomfortable with that so we're going the day after. I asked him if there was any specific reason he didn't want to go on Valentine's Day and he said "I just don't want to go on that day." I said "fair enough." But I was really hoping we'd go for Valentine's Day because I really like him but at the same time I don't want to make him uncomfortable in any way because I really love him as my buddy and want him to feel as comfortable with me as possible. So I guess that's good enough.

10. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On the positive side, chocolate is often on sale the day after. :grin:

I sometimes think about how we live in a world where two symbols from different cultures have become almost synonymous with each other. You'd think that on St.Valentine's day there would be more imagery representing St.Valentine. However, this is not the case. Instead you tend to see companies put up miniature Cupids and/or a love-hearts with arrows stuck through them. The day represents a larger theme of love; specifically focusing on the romantic kind. Despite picking a Roman God associated with physical attraction to represent this; which makes it seem rather superficial and unintentionally cynical of itself. Without the cultural context of what an arrow through a heart means, that imagery would seem rather gory for a day that's marketed towards us with pink, red and lots of gold glitter. Although, in Western societies red is often associated with both danger and love depending on the context. Sometimes both combined together.

Anyway, I'll be spending it alone this year again. I hope that some day I'll spend it with a girlfriend. Oh well, no use moping about it I suppose. I'll be waiting for the cheap chocolate. :sunglasses:

11. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is my first first Valentine's single in 4 or 5 years :frowning2:

Normally I always order flowers for my partner and make them a card and give them a little jar of candy but now.... I guess I'll get wine drunk at the club? Lol

12. KnucklesNation

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Looking forward to seeing my boy!
    [​IMG]

#12 KnucklesNation, Jan 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  13. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've never had a boyfriend.

14. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've noticed a pattern where I only like Valentine's if I'm not single.

Even then, when I was seeing someone at Valentine's last year, it was more stressful than anything else to try and get our schedules to align to have lunch together.

15. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I try not to pay much attention to holidays. If I treat them just like any other day, then they don't bother me as much.

16. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This year I'm not too bothered. I've got things to focus on besides finding some bloke.

I'm not anti-Valentines Day, I think it's a nice idea to make a romantic gesture to your partner or somebody that you're interested in for the occasion, but I think it should be personal and intimate.

I think it's stupid that restaurants become flooded with customers having their romantic meal together on Valentines Day - if hundreds of other couples are doing the exact same thing, then it's not romantic. You've got waiters and barstaff running around like headless chickens trying to keep you and every couple in town satisfied.

I think its much better to have a home cooked meal in the privacy of your own home, or invite other couples to join you, whether its your parents or siblings with their partners, or close friends. At least then you're surrounded by people you care about, not in a crowded restaurant with hundreds of strangers.

And you can have a meal together in a fancy restaurant on your birthday or anniversary, when it's less likely to be full of other couples doing the same thing you are.

My ideal gift for Valentines would be wine, a small hamper, a nice book that you think I might enjoy, or if you're feeling particularly bold and generous, theatre tickets. I've never been given flowers before, so if that ever happens I'll be incredibly touched.

17. Denial

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I'm currently single and am not having any luck meeting anyone so I will most likely be single for Valentine's Day. I may buy myself chocolate and flowers just because. The holiday is very commercial but I do like the idea of it, I just wish I had a girlfriend.