1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should be in place before pushing for divorce?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Fuzzy, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Fuzzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Because I have kids, I am waiting for a stable living situation prior to pushing for divorce. When it comes to having kids, what should and should not hold me back in moving on with life in terms of a divorce? I have been putting it off a couple years already...

2. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey @Fuzzy,

You’re not alone in putting it off, I put leaving my ex off for about three years.

I partly put it off for financial reasons. For most of that three years I was either unemployed, a student or not doing well at work, which made my job unstable. Whether or not this is a valid reason for not leaving yet, will depend on your situation. At the time, I felt that I couldn’t leave without stable employment. In the end, I left without it and got a new job within two or months, which I really enjoy. Though, I wouldn’t have been able to do it without family support.

The other main reason that I stayed was fear of the unknown. I didn’t know how my ex would react, I was worried about what other people would think and it felt like I would be losing control of the situation. Whilst my situation was slightly different from some others (I never had to tell my ex that I was planning to leave), I did actually feel better and more in control once I had started taking actions and doing things. I took it slowly, one week at a time, and planned what I needed to get done that week. I was still nervous at the point of leaving, but afterwards, I wondered why I didn’t do it sooner. I think I’d built it up a lot in my head and the reality was simpler than I had imagined.

If there’s any kind of physical or emotional abuse (which I hope there’s not), then leaving needs to be your main priority. There are lots of support services out there for people who need to get out of a relationship quickly.

That said, I think financial and practical things need to be considered, but if you really want to make it happen, then I think most people can. Baby steps to begin with. I didn’t think it was ever going to happen, then six months later I’d left him. If had waited for a perfectly stable situation for my daughter, then I would still be with him now. I really don’t think that there’s a perfect time.

moxie, Fuzzy, Fritzcoop and 2 others like this.
  3. Fuzzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think the other thing I need is for other stressors in life to lighten up a bit in order to have the energy to face the stress of the process... what part of the process requires the most time and emotional energy?

4. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, most of the other sources of stress that I had (work, housing, etc) still existed as I went through the process of leaving, but they were all tied up in the question of what I was going to do after I left, so I just had to take it one week at a time and try to worry too much about the other side.

I think *what* the most emotionally draining and/or time consuming parts of it are will vary from person to person. So, the practical side took most of my time, actually getting myself in a position where I could just walk out the door and not come back. The most emotionally draining part was having to hide everything that I was doing from my partner and pretend that everything was fine. For other people, telling their partners and then living with them whilst everything is sorted is probably really difficult.

Do you think it would help to prioritise this over the other stressors? They might feel more manageable after you’ve dealt with this.

#4 LostInDaydreams, Jan 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  5. Fuzzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, the stress of work is not constant. It has its highs and lows. January was a more stressful than usual month. February will be better, but still a lot happening. Also there are other things I have done that have caused stress in the short term but I hope will make a split easier in the long term. But on the other hand, I need to know when life is good enough for moving forward as it will be hard no matter what.

6. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, it is going to be hard no matter what. As I said above, there’s really no perfect time.

Only you can decide when the time right for you. For me, looking back I was probably making excuses to put off the inevitable. I’m not saying that you are too, but I think it’s easy done.

7. Fuzzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have been slowly backing myself into a corner to where I will need to take action, but I definitely could have taken action a year or so ago.

8. TrevinMichael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When it is time you will know.

I think the time is soon by your posts.

Just know others here including me understand.

I am here to support you decision no matter when or how it looks.

Thanks for posting and speaking your truth.

TM

9. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It’s not uncommon to put unpleasant things off.

I did it too. Left things until the situation was unsustainable and I had no option but to act.

You’ll find a way to make it happen. Keep posting.

10. cjmiller

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've been waiting for my children to go off to college which should be in a few years; however, since coming out to myself last year, I'm not sure I can wait that long before telling my wife.