1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update: I’m gonna be a dad!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by justinf, Jan 26, 2020.

1. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to be a pretty active user on here, but I haven’t posted in years. I signed up more than 8 years ago when I started questioning my sexuality and was super confused about a lot of things. Since then, a lot has happened and I’ve grown into a completely different person.

I thought I’d share this happy update, for anyone who might remember me, but mostly as a reminder for those of you who are struggling that no matter how hopeless things may seem, life may surprise you and your future may be a lot brighter than you’d ever imagined.

Two years ago, I bought a beautiful house with my partner. May of last year, we started the process of surrogacy to have a baby. We prepared for a long and difficult process, but everything went a lot easier and faster than expected. In the beginning of December we learned that there was a pregnancy, and as of last week the pregnancy is considered “safe” enough to tell people.

It took us another while to take in the fact that this is really happening, and it still feels so surreal to say it, but we will actually be DADS this summer!

When I signed up here those 8 long years ago, I never thought this is what my future would look like. But I’m super grateful for the life I have right now, and have honestly never been happier.

I have no clue why EmptyClosets popped into my head again after all those years. I guess I feel like I have come full circle in a way.

- Justin

:family_mmb::family_mmg:

(I wasn’t sure where to categorize this. Perhaps it belongs in the Chit Chat section, but if so then I’m sure one of the admins can move it there).

Psique, D Artagnan, KaiOfBees and 8 others like this.
  2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Justin! This is absolutely awesome to hear! I'm confident you and your partner will make wonderful dads, and this will be the start of a wonderful new chapter for you.

I very strongly encourage you to read Gabor Maté's amazing book "Hold On to Your Kids" His perspective on relatively simple steps you can both take to work on your own issues and give your child the best parenting you can will make a huge difference. He basically says "If you get the first two years right, you'll be able to basically coast through the next 16 years."

I'm really glad you came back to share the rest of your story. If you have time to stick around and contribute your thoughts and experiences here and there, I think people would be very appreciative.

justinf likes this.
  3. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for coming back to share this wonderful update!

justinf likes this.
  4. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While we haven’t met before, that’s absolutely amazing news and I’m so thrilled for you!

justinf likes this.
  5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Justin! Your news is inspiring. Thank you for sharing it.

It is absolutely wonderful to read that things have come together for you in the way they have and that you are about to start a new chapter with your partner. :slight_smile:

justinf likes this.
  6. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for all your kind words! I really appreciate it :wink:

I will definitely add it to our list of parenting books we want to read over the next few months. Thanks for the recommendation!

I am super busy at the moment, but I will try and contribute my thoughts on here whenever I can.

Hope you all have a great start of the week!

7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations Justin! We are all happy for you! It’s so nice to see positivity in general support and advice. :slight_smile:

8. TrevinMichael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am so glad you are where you are. So much must have happened in the last 8 years.

Thanks for coming back to let everyone know where you are now.

TM

9. Psique

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just came by and I wondered, how is everything? I am happy to see you have a partner and a baby. I saw you previous posts some years ago in my other account and some much have changed for you. I really hope you are happy.
    Crazy question, is your partner your first bf?

I wish you and your familly lots of happiness