1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What’s excited you lately?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by musicteach, Jan 24, 2020.

1. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because the World needs more good news and excitement let’s stare some stuff that’s made you happy/excited lately!

• The band’s uniforms came in and they look absolutely fantastic. Makes me so happy.
    • Gear order (t shirts/hoodies/etc) came in too
    • Being named one of your state’s top music educators.

2. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I got a rather substantial raise and bonus a couple days ago. It's silly in a way but it made me feel appreciated.

#2 OGS, Jan 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  3. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heck yeah! That’s great.

4. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think my work crush likes me back. I'm still not 100% certain, but I'm more sure than I have been with any other crush I've had.

5. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That’s great :slight_smile:

6. Oliverrrrr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Now that is particular nice! We'll done Teach!

What is making me excited right now is.....rollerskating.
    The joy of learning a new physical skill that is both technical and hugely expressive. And who knew Roller-discos we're such inclusive places? The music is dope, folks make friends based on appreciating how you move as much as what you say, there's loads of gay dudes and dykes and tattooed youngsters and old groovers and more all getting on and looking out for each other. I've found another very happy place.

#6 Oliverrrrr, Jan 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  7. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you! What’s so amazing is that the nomination didn’t come from one of my students/BPA members. This actually came from one of the band parents from another school — one we play in football/other sports but they’re an hour and half away. This past season we played them at their home field, so naturally the marching band went (and our two bands had a fantastic time going back and forth with each other. It’s always amazing when you get two marching band together that feed off each other’s energy).

They reached out to my principal and our BPA in order to get extra info or whatever they needed. I mean it really made me feel great because those aren’t my students. I feel like if it was coming from MY students and MY BPA, that it’d feel a little bias. Like of course my crew is a little bias towards me. But no this was a band parent from a school an hour and a half away.

Roller skating is amazing! I feel that way about hockey. Absolutely amazing. Not to mention it’s so physical and such a great work out. Our athletics director has been trying to rope me into coaching the hockey team for a couple years now. But with band and everything related to, I feel like it would be way too much on my plate.

8. Will S

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have been singing alot of opera to help me with my depression and it is healing for the soul. I also have been doing a lot of knitting and crochet!

9. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ohhh opera!! Music in general is such an amazing release. But opera is killer.

10. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I introduced the band to our main competition piece for our spring trip yesterday. It’s called “Ghost Train” by Eric Whitaker and we’re doing the full 19 min performance. The band picked it out and wanted to play it, so I got the music. Yesterday I had the copies on the counter on the side of the band room. I told ‘em straight up that this is complicated music, it’s where we separate the musicians from the wannabes. They’re gonna have to step their game up and big time. Then I had my section leaders start handing out the music. Looks on their faces? Priceless.

(sorry about the ads)

11. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I recently joined a peer support/social group from trans and genderqueer people and have met some wonderful new people.

12. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That’s great! Is it helping you?

13. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To be honest, I'm more excited by things I'm looking forward to
    *I should hear back sometime in February if I got a job much better than my current one
    *I have a bunch of houseplants. Spring is right around the corner, perfect for transplanting, pruning, and buying new ones
    *My friend and I are vaguely planning a trip to Wonderland this summer

14. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I didn't join it so much for the support as I did to just generally meet people. I've always avoided social groups so this was a step forward. And in that regard, it has helped me very much. Everybody has been so wonderful to me. Every meeting is followed by social hour at a nearby coffee shop, and it has helped me step outside my comfort zone and make new friends.

15. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've got one last week working with my 6th graders and then I'll be working at my home high school from February until June for one of my former teachers who's retiring. Hopefully, this will lead to something more permanent, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much considering what happened the last time I applied for this district.

16. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm taking my friend (the one that I'm in love with) to see a movie in February, so I'm looking forward to that. We're going to go see that goofy Sonic the Hedgehog movie. I figure that's a good low key date date movie, even though this isn't really a date we're going on. I know he's probably not interested in me romantically and as sad as that makes me I want to make him happy and he's looking forward to a day out with a friend, as am I.

17. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very nice! Good luck on everything!

That’s great though! I’m glad.
    Don’t be surprised if you start missing your 6th graders, though. Good luck! Hopefully it turns more permanent. So many people don’t realize how important substitutes are in a school’s ecosystem.

Aw that’s sweet. If nothing else, at least you can have a good time and enjoy the time spent together.

18. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sort of getting the hang of using FreeCAD for designing my own parts to 3D print. Just got a fuel tank printed out for one of my RC trucks and it turned out really well.

19. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That’s great!

I just got off a phone call with our principal and our BPA Vice President. One of our band parents has been deployed overseas with the Army and he’s finally coming home. Except, he’s not supposed to be here for another two weeks. He was able to move it up a bit so apparently he’s actually flying in early tomorrow morning and they were wondering if it’d be okay to interrupt my rehearsal to give two of my students a wicked surprise. Very nice of them to ask — but of course I said yes! His oldest son is our tuba section leader, middle son plays saxophone/percussion. And the youngest son plays tuba at the middle school (he’s in 8th grade and coming up next year). That’s gonna be great, I’ll post an update tomorrow.

20. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh, I know I'm going to miss my 6th graders. They drive me absolutely insane, particularly one of my boys who tells me literally everything and I've become his confidante about things, but I'm going to miss them. They were sad when I told them, since my original plan was to day-to-day sub once I finished this but since this long term is going to the end of the school year, I won't be seeing them again.

I'm really hoping it turns permanent. I'd be working with all of my former teachers from high school and I could finally stop applying all across the state.