1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel guilty that I’m even considering getting a disability pass for Disney World

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by CactiCat, Jan 4, 2020.

1. CactiCat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I’m going to Disney World in about a week and a half and I was thinking, “man when I’m done with all of that walking I’m going to be in so much pain. That sucks.” So much pain is an exaggeration though. I have some issues with my joints. All of my joints are hyper mobile and my tendons are very loose. This causes my hips and knees to turn inward. I also have frequent very minor subluxations of my left hip and my shoulder is pretty loose too. I also have impingement of my right hip. The impingement is really the issue here. When I walk around for a long time, it causes the muscle deep in my hip to swell up and put pressure on my sciatic nerve. And the only thing that really makes all of this act up is walking, which I will be doing a whole lot of. Just reading this seems like an ok cause to get a disability pass, but the thing is I’m actually not terribly bad off. Yeah sure I’ll be in pain pain for a bit, but it’s not like it’s horrible. I can still walk and do everything, I’ll just be in a bit of pain while I do it. And my knees turn inward, but that’s nothing a few days rest can’t fix. I won’t be allowed to take pain meds if I need to, which sucks, but I don’t ever take anything strong. I’m just afraid if I get a disability pass I could be getting in the way of people that actually need it, like my friend that has heart issues and severe arthritis. I feel like I’d be taking advantage of the people that give out the disability passes. And I wouldn’t even consider myself disabled, which makes me feel even worse. If it weren’t for the fact that you can’t have over the counter pain meds on this trip and the fact that my knees turn inward even more, making it odd (but not impossible at all, just a slight annoyance) to march (oh yeah it’s a marching band trip btw), then I wouldn’t even be considering getting one. Help?

2. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @CactiCat Don't worry too much about it. That's what I'd say. At some point or the other, we as humans, have to stop thinking about others and start thinking about ourselves. We have to be a teeny-bit selfish sometimes.

The fact that you're thinking so much about other people and putting their needs/problems before yours, shows how much of a good person you are. :slight_smile:

I'd say you've got an equal right to enjoy Disney World as best as you can. And if you think taking the pass would enable you to enjoy it more comfortably, I'd encourage you to go for it! :grin:

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a big problem with people who abuse the system and get things they aren't entitled to.

And in NO WAY are you abusing the system. Disability in your case refers to limited mobility without pain. There are lots of people with severe arthritis or other disorders where they can move, but it's incredibly painful to do so. It sounds like your situation is absolutely no different than people with other severe mobility-limiting conditions, except for the name of the disorder.

I understand why you don't want to take advantage. And the policies for disability are specifically for people like you, who would otherwise be in severe pain, and for whom minor accommodations can make their experience more pleasant.

Go for the disability pass. You should enjoy your time at Disney, and you aren't going to enjoy it as much if you're in constant pain.

4. CactiCat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you both. I’m going to get it. I still feel weird about it though. Maybe it’s because I’ve been heathy my whole life and it’s seems odd that suddenly I have a lot of pain. I still think of myself as healthy, so for me it feels like I’m a healthy person getting a disability pass.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally get where you are. I had a pretty major health issue a couple years ago, involving a lengthy hospital stay and two major surgeries. I'm super independent, and not used to relying on others, but needed help while recovering. It's hard when you are used to seeing yourself in a different light. But it's also where you are right now. So there's nothing wrong with taking needed help... it just takes a bit of getting used to.

Ultimately, Im a stronger and better person for being able to accept help... and I think you'll find the same.

#5 Chip, Jan 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  6. CactiCat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for everyone who helped me out here. I just got back and thank goodness I got a the pass. It was much more rough on my body than expected. I actually became pigeon toed from walking and I attempted to wait in a line and partially dislocated my hip. And if I hadn’t had the disability pass I probably would have been in a lot more pain.

7. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm glad you say you had a good time. That's the important thing.