1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to therapist

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by moxie, Jan 12, 2020.

1. moxie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My therapist pretty much knows I’m gay. I told her via email after a really hard session where I couldn't get the words out. We've since talked about it vaguely, but I've never actually said aloud that I'm a lesbian. In part because I'm in a 10-year marriage with two young kids, just figuring this out in my mid-thirties. She's very supportive of all of this.
    I am just worried I won't have the courage to say it and will avoid once again. But I need to say it out loud, I know I do.

2. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi @moxie

Yes, I told my therapist via email before I started therapy, so she knew the whole time, but wouldn’t mention it unless I did.

After this happened to me - couldn’t say what I wanted to and then emailed my therapist after the session - I needed a break, where sexuality wasn’t mentioned as it felt like it had become a big deal. Then I just mentioned it in passing during another session and my therapist didn’t make a fuss. She always made a point of not making a big deal out of it. That worked for me because I was in therapy about my relationship, with my sexuality being the secondary issue, so not talking about it for a few weeks was fine.

Be kind to yourself. It’s really hard.

I’m sure you’ve read/heard this before, but have you tried saying it whilst looking in a mirror? Some people find that incredibly helpful.

3. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps bring it up at your next session. I was married and have 3 kids, I'm a great father still. It's really hard but you will feel so free. Your husband, like my ex wife deserve someone who truly loves them. I'm separated from her now. It's a long journey but you will get there and probably change so much as a person. I'm a completely different guy now. I know I'm a guy but I do understand how hard it is. My kids were 12,9 and 5 when I came out 23 months ago.
    Big hugs. Jon xx

#3 Rade, Jan 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020