1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wondering if I'm gay

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Shadow N, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Shadow N

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    wow, I don't identify as gay (maybe bisexual), after having a sexual experience with another man in a sex theater (I was bicurious and the bicuriosity was killing me to death so I decided to experiment to get a straighter answer to the issue and be rid of it). But found out that I liked it, which left me wondering what just happened did really happened? and in shock and my mind felt like processing a whole lot of information at the same time and it felt like it learned a lot from that single experience (it took me one week and a half to sort the event out). I still like women but know that like men at least sexually if the opportunity presents itself with the right guy. I believe that I might be bisexual. Regarding my wife and daughter I love them a lot and don't wish them I'll but in the same page I want to answer this question that is killing me.

2. Shadow N

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    the bicuriosity have been present in and out during my lifetime since high school but didn't paid any attention to it and focused on my studies and not in my personal life (I was raised in a private Catholic school) , now at 39 years old I dared to experiment sexually to get a solid answer and feedback to my question (that is why I believe I am bisexual)

maybgayguy likes this.
  3. BaconBacon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I have had a similar experience to you. I have always been bicurious, well had lots of fantasies and no had a crushes on a guys.

So, now you know your solid answer. Are you at peace with yourself? Any ideas to explore further?

Shadow N likes this.
  4. Dreamsexul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I might be looking at it all rather simplistically, but doesn't the desire to have sex with men and women, even if only on rare occasions, make one bisexual pretty much by definition?

Shadow N and BaconBacon like this.
  5. BaconBacon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like your message of simplicity. That actually has really helped me realise it isn't my bisexuality that was confusing me but how I relate to that bisexuality and the components. I am bisexual but my attractions to men are rare. I feel that defines me.
    Thanks, Dreamsexul.

Dreamsexul likes this.
  6. Dreamsexul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No worries @BaconBacon :slight_smile:

I think that bisexuality can actually be quite varied in practice. It's not always a 50/50 split or something.

A lot of bisexual folk I've spoken to seem to either go in phases as to which gender they are attracted to, or fancy one more than the other, or are much more picky about a certain type for one rather than the other, or something like that. But they're all bisexual, just as a straight dude who is really picky about hair colour or something is just as straight as another dude who fancies every woman.

At least, that's the way it seems to me.

BaconBacon likes this.
  7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes and no. It gets complicated, especially if someone is just coming to awareness of same sex attraction.

For example, it is not uncommon for a guy to discover or pay attention to same-sex desires while in a relationship with a woman that they genuinely care about.

And as the guy explores his feelings, he starts to realize that feelings for guys are there... and as he explores the feelings, perhaps ends the relationship with the girlfriend or wife, and discovers that the feelings for guys are growing stronger while the feeligg by a for girls might be fading away. We see an awful lot of folks here talking about that.

Now... according to Kinsey, that person would meet the criteria for bisexuality, but we might see that, two years later, the guy really has no interest in women any longer.

in reality, this person probably hasn’t *changed* his orientation, nor is it fluid. It’s a lot more likely that the same-sex attractions were always there but socialization and shame kept it from coming up.

So in reality, we usually can’t know for sure when someone is first coming out whether they are bi or gay.

And for those who are bi, they are rarely in the middle; there is usually some level of preference. Additionally, the same applies for those who identify as gay. Kinsey tells us that only about 10% of the population is at one extreme or the other; most will cluster toward one end or the other but will not be absolutely one end or the other.

So figuring this out is rarely something that’s black and white, and also takes time to definitively determine.

Dreamsexul likes this.
  8. Dreamsexul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Chip
    Wouldn't the real issue in the above, then, be whether or not they were ever attracted to women, rather than were they ever attracted to men?

If they were always attracted to men, then sure, they've always at least been gay. But if they developed a genuine attraction and affection for a woman at some point, then they were, at least for a while, bisexual (or at least biromantic).

Also, why did you put 'changed' in asterisks?

9. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Again, it depends on how you define 'attraction'. If you talk to many of the gay men here in the 'later in life' section, you'll hear them say that they thought they were attracted to women, or convinced themselves they could be attracted to women, or something like that, thus they got married. But they eventually realized they weren't really attracted to women, and thus, left their marriage, came out, and got into a relationship with a man. (Similar experiences for women; I'm using men simply because my experience base with them is larger.)

So when you talk to many of these folks, they'll say that they realized they never really had attraction for women in the same way they have attraction to men. Now, by a technical standard, one could call them bisexual. But from a practical standpoint, if they never really had attraction in the same way they do for men, and were essentially in denial, or in a marriage of convenience, then it's hard to argue they're genuinely bisexual. Again, this goes back to what I've said elsewhere: if language is to have any meaning, we should really be focused on labels that are applicable to someone's actual situation, rather than technical definitions that aren't really helpful in advancing understanding.

There's no credible evidence of discordant sexual and romantic orientation, and thus 'biromantic', at least according to the credible research and consensus among professionals, can't be separated from 'bisexual'.

*changed* was for emphasis. I was on a device that makes alternate fonts less easy to post.

Adz6 likes this.
  10. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’m going to contradict some of the above, but not take away what was said. Maybe what I’m trying to do is say “both / and” about the gay vs bisexual orientation.

Kinsey is really great for the situation Chip talks about, where a person has led a suppressed existence, and then realizes over time they are really gay. Maybe they don’t have to be a Kinsey 6 at the end of the scale, but still close to the end at a 5, not the middle. 30 and 40 years after Kinseys 1940’s research was published there were contributions by other researchers to try to get a better handle on bisexuality. Because Kinsey was a start, not an end, to the research. Klein and Storms are two from that period who still get quoted in current textbooks. There are other scholars since the 20th century too. I’m pretty sure I’m better tested with Michael D. Storm’s graph than with Kinsey, in large part because Kinsey assumes you pull away from heterosexuality as you move into homosexuality, and Storms doesn’t — both those things can be plotted at the same time on Storms’ graph, and you can be 100% both! I’m not pulling away from my wife as I realize my bisexuality, therefor Kinsey doesn’t work for me.

Kinsey is great to help convince you you are moving to gay and away from straight. Kinsey was great back in 1948 by saying there can be something in between too... yet had the weakness in his model that the old end of the scale just feels more and more distant if you move anywhere away from that end.
    Kinsey is only moderately useful for bisexuals if they don’t feel less attracted than they did before.

Personally, I just took my own assessment, and talked about this with a LGBTQ-friendly therapist. I know my physical reactions to girls were real in the past. I know my love for my wife is not fake. I know I am now fantasizing about guys, and at the same time I still like being intimate with my wife.

Maybe think about if straight is fading away, maybe 1948 Kinsey is good enough for you. If straight isn’t feeling it was fake, maybe you need a different, newer model. Mostly just accept yourself and the fact that you can love people who were not on the radar before, or society and convention told you to ignore. Be you, regardless of labels.

Dreamsexul likes this.
  11. Dreamsexul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Chip
    But surely the issue is genuine attraction (sexual desire) not behaviour? I wouldn't say having sex with a man and a woman makes one bi, rather the attraction/desire - else we have a real problem with virgins and those who have sex unwillingly!

So sure, I can understand that someone who had sex with a woman but didn't really ever desire them sexually is gay rather than bi, but I thought we were talking about cases where someone did genuinely have desire and attraction towards a woman, but then later started to also desire sex with men. In that case they either always were, or have become, bi, surely?

@DecentOne
    Very interesting, thank you. It seems human sexuality is highly complex and even now not wonderfully well understood.

12. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sure. And the point is. you ask these folks who come out later in life, and many of them say that they realize that they never realized what attraction is until they were with a same-sex partner. Thus, they identify as gay even though they've had same-sex partners. (And of course, there are plenty who identify as bi, and plenty who start out as identifying as bi and later figure out they're really gay.)

Yes, definitely.

Certainly someone who has attraction to both sexes is bi. What I'm saying is that many who thought they were attracted to the opposite sex later discovered that what they thought was attraction wasn't really attraction, and they didn't realize true attraction or desire until their same-sex feelings were unlocked.

Dreamsexul likes this.
  13. Dreamsexul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In that case we totally agree!

But there are cases of people who are simply bi, but don't figure it out until later, or bi and go through phases fancying one gender or another, or people who actually change, yes?

It also seems that 'attraction' is a complex concept and one that can easily be mistaken. That's worth exploring!

#13 Dreamsexul, Jan 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  14. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From what we currently know, the first two are certainly common, but the third, from what we know is either exceptionally uncommon or simply doesn't happen; it appears that the third is people who were completely out of touch with, or otherwise cut off from, their feelings.

Yes, and that ties back into vulnerability; without emotional vulnerability, we can't really connect to anyone on a deep level. And unfortunately, many folks are unable to allow themselves to experience vulnerability, and are thus cut off from emotions. Those relationships are therefore not as deep or authentic or profound as those who can be fully vulnerable. Basically, if you don't feel devastatingly, horribly awful when a breakup happens, then you haven't been vulnerable during the relationship. And that, unfortunately, describes a lot of people.

Dreamsexul likes this.
  15. Dreamsexul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Chip

I agree change is uncommon, but to say it doesn't happen just seems to massively invalidate the lived experiences of a number of folk I've spoken to (and myself). To claim on behalf of these people that they were 'cut off from their feelings' seems like some sort of post-hoc rationalisation to make their experience fit into a predetermined system.

I mean, what's the difference between a) someone being so cut off from their feelings that at one point they truly believed and felt that they fancied men and not women and later became emotionally attuned enough that they stopped fancying men and started fancying women; and b) someone who changed from being straight to lesbian?

And who gets to decide that? And how?
    Isn't the only viable way to accept people's sincere self-reporting with an attitude of charity and credulity?

Regarding attraction, sure I understand the role of vulnerability in romantic relationships, but it seems largely irrelevant to sexual attraction - which at base is 'I think I want to sex that dude/lady' or 'I am aroused by that dude's appearance, I'd like to sex him' etc.

That kind of sexual attraction seems very intuitive and wide spread (excepting asexual circles), whether straight or gay or whatever. I don't think it requires anything more than a libido, imagination and are certain orientation.

And that kind of attraction is all that is required, I think, to decide if one is gay, straight, bi or whatever. And it doesn't really seem to matter if something else is desired more - simply that the desire is there at all. Someone who prefers sex with men over women is still bi rather than gay so long as the desire to have sex with women is there at all, at least some times.

If I want to have sexual activities with men but not women, regardless of emotional aspects, I'm gay/bi etc. It might be that I'm never going to be emotionally vulnerable enough to ever actually do anything about such a desire, but if I have the desire such that in a perfect world of my creation I would have sex with a guy then I'm gay - the rest is just the messiness of life circumstances getting in the way of the expression of that desire, not the desire itself.

Thus, it seems to me, that if a man has genuine, even if muted or non-intense, sexual attraction to a female for the first half of their life, then later finds those feelings receding and experiences an even more intense attraction to males, it's not that they were always 'secretly' gay and just needed to discover that, but rather they either were always bisexual (and the phases shifted, or they needed to discover that), or they were straight and now gay.

Drizzle likes this.
  16. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My experiences mirrors Chip’s comment where what I thought was real attraction to females was not really the case. As I became aware and more comfortable in exploring my same sex attraction it began to dawn on me my attraction to men was much more intense. At the very beginning I called myself bi however my attraction to women faded to zero as I became intimate with the man who became my BF. Within a very short period I acknowledged I was totally gay. My attraction to men both physically and emotionally is so much more than anything I felt towards any woman. I think I fooled myself for whatever reasons that I liked women for so many years. Don’t know about the actual physiology or labels involved and frankly it doesn’t matter anymore as I identify as gay.

Pole star likes this.
  17. Adz6

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I’m the typical later life gay male Chip mentions in an earlier post.
    I have always been attracted to males and I thought I was attracted to women as well, and I followed societies norms and I married a woman who I dearly love, and still married to her.
    I have never been able to shake my sexual attraction to men and I think as I age this attraction to males is intensifying, and my urges to have sex with my wife is non existent, all my desires are to be held and to kiss another man. I can’t explain this but looking back over my life, I don’t think I was Bi I am definitely a latent homosexual.

18. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you wish... but that's pretty much what has been found when we look at it.

The difference is that (a) was unable to connect to the emotional vulnerability where feelings of attraction and arousal lie. So this person then responds the way society expects him or her to respond, not out of genuine feelings. If/when those feelings start to come to the surface, then s/he realizes what real love is and is able to connect at a deep level, and thus understand what love is. This doesn't, by the way, always mean someone will discover s/he is gay; it could just be that the rush of emotions will suddenly become accessible and the person will feel a deep level of connection to the opposite sex that s/he has never been able to feel in the past. (b) on the other hand... there's simply almost no evidence of this (in either direction) in six decades of research, representing over 100+ studies, and thousands of people, that the APA looked at some years ago.

As I've said ad infinitum, everyone is entitled to their own labels, their own experiences, their own description of those experiences. I can describe myself as 'unicornsexual' if I want. And I can say that the sky is pink, and that grass is orange. But my view doesn't match the prevailing perceptions and consensus reality of most other people.

Likewise, we have decades of research looking at these sorts of things, and a pretty good understanding of human interaction. And so we're able to make pretty good evaluations about the lived experiences of people, and thus, draw pretty accurate conclusions on society as a whole.

There's certainly some kind of rote instinctual sexual attraction/arousal that people experience. And a big part of that is driven by hormones. But for the most part, that isn't the same as deep, emotional attraction, and again, there's no credible research that shows a discordant separation between romantic and sexual orientation, so when we look at those together, the deep, emotionally intimate sexual attraction we associate with sexual orientation requires vulnerability and emotional connection as well as the more instinctual, animalistic sexual drives.

OK, you're certainly entitled to have that perspective.

Yes, and again, there may be no emotional connection there, and thus, that individual won't be able to experience the full depth of what is possible for someone who is able to make that emotional connection. If the person is on the autism spectrum, that lack of capacity for emotional expression may be hardwired; for others who don't have that capacity, it is not hardwired, and is usually a byproduct of early life traumas or bonding failures, which can be addressed and resolved in therapy.

Again, you're certainly entitled to your perspective, but the research and data shows otherwise.

#18 Chip, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  19. Dreamsexul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Chip
    I'm a bit confused. I trust your comments reflect the current understanding, since you obviously are educated in the field and know the research. But to someone like me, all I have is Google, forums and wiki etc. And I note that the wiki entry for sexual fluidity says stuff about research into sexuality change that doesn't align with your comments. Help?

20. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are differing viewpoints on these sorts of things. EC and our parent organization have always taken the perspective of relying on credible peer-reviewed research and/or the consensus of the majority of professionals in the field.

Unfortunately, there is an awful lot of misinformation and/or information out there, sourced from opinion, and/or research- and science-free consensus of people who have nothing to ground or base their statements on. And even more unfortunately, some of these small-but-loud groups manage to spread their misinformation into a lot of places. This, in turn, creates a lot of (at least from those basing their perspectives on science and research and credible peer-reviewed study) viewpoints that aren't informed by factual information. An awful lot of wiki, popular magazine articles, Youtube videos, and even some fairly large discussion communities use poorly sourced or utterly ungrounded consensus groupthink as the basis for their statements. They're certainly entitled to do that, but it doesn't meet an evidentiary standard that EC has always held as pretty crucial to our charitable purpose.