1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling like an intruder

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by love dont judge, Dec 29, 2019.

1. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know that I am mostly overthinking this, but I cannot seem to be able to get past this. Recently, I was accepted into an all-female honors and leadership scholar program. While I was initially ecstatic and in disbelief, it incredibly affirming. However, part of this scholars program is a retreat coming up 2 weekends ago, and a seminar with the other 19 people who were accepted into it. Normally, this wouldn't be a big deal. I've gotten used to going on various retreats with people who are virtually strangers. However, with this being all-female, I am incredibly nervous. I can't help but feel like I'm an intruder into their space, because I know my concept of being a woman is radically different than theirs, and I haven't shared the upbringing that they have. In addition, because I am physically male, I am worried about it being a little awkward. Obviously, the advisory board decided to accept me from the plethora of candidates, so I am not worried of any retaliation. But, I don't know how to get over this feeling and I really want to enjoy my time at the retreat, rather than constantly be thinking about my physical body and "not fitting in".

2. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This could happen to someone even for other reasons, without being trans. Imagine a woman who grew up in the countryside, drives trucks and tractors. Or a masculine lesbian. Or a woman who grew up in a conservative religious family and chose only recently to wear western clothes. Or whatever.
    Your diversity into that group could be precious. I don't know if you're stealth or not but, even being stealth, you can bring a different perspective into discussions.

3. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're definitely right. I think that it's part of why I was selected into the group. I definitely emphasized some of my experiences with being trans during the interview process. I am 100% open, mostly because I plan on doing advocacy work. However, I am also pre-transition, which I should have specified. That's mostly where my feelings come from. I guess I'm just worried about not being seen as a girl/respected by the other scholars, which is why I feel like an intruder.

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that is a really tough one and I think it is naturally to be a bit nervous, I dont really have any words of wisdom but I guess just to hope that the other girls despite not having the same upbringing are open minded. I dont think everyone has to be the same to get along as long as they have the right mindset.