1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do I deal with top dysphoria at night??

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by wolfxinxchains, Mar 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfxinxchains

OK so I literally just got into pajamas, unbound my chest, and then I turned around. there, right in the mirror, my damned feminine body, long stupid hair and stupid female pajamas. I just looked at myself with anger and annoyance that I just HAD to be born damn female. Once again I was ready to rip my "boobs" off. I can't STAND this any more and I just hate it. I'm going have to approach my parents soon and tell them just how annoyed and sad this is making me. I'm about ready to burst into tears. :bang:

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, night's always the worst, eh? I've had loads of nights where sleeping's an issue because I feel my chest. There's ways to alleviate it, just gotta experiment with what works.

Is it possible, for instance, to maybe wear a t-shirt to bed? Won't work wonders but it'll be gender neutral enough. I sleep in boxers and a shirt. And I'm not sure how safe it is, so I wouldn't take it as gospel, but most of the time, I'll wear a sports bra too, just to minimize the chest. If you're anything like me, might want to consider sleeping on your back or side, so you're minimizing having to feel it when you sleep.

As for your parents- I take it you're out to them, so yeah, go to them. They gotta know how you're affected. And if they're decent sorts, then hopefully they'll want to help.

Seriously, man. Hope this helped.

3. wolfxinxchains

It helped loads! thanks for all of the ideas I'll try to sleep on my back and wear a t-shirt one night. I still have yet to get any boxers. probably gonna ask my big bro for help. lol anyways on a side note I love your name. I just finished season three of doctor who and Castiel is my favorite angel and metratron is evil.

4. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, no prob. Dysphoria's never fun, just gotta do what you can to feel better in meantime to deal with it.

Thanks. Yes sirree named after Doctor Who and not the rifles. :wink:

5. Tetra

It's funny, because as I read this, I'm wearing a tee shirt and boxers. It's probably the MOST comfortable thing to sleep in anyways. Also, do you dislike having long hair? Because if it's something that bothers you, maybe you could convince your parents to allow you to cut it short? Maybe it'll help with the dysphoria?

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, sleeping in a tee-shirt and boxers or men's long sleep pants are the best thing ever. It has helped my dysphoria during the night a ton.

7. wolfxinxchains

I am going to get a haircut, but it's in about 2 weeks. I've been really tempted lately to grab scissors and just cut it short myself. I try to avoid looking in mirrors but thats nearly impossible at night when I have a huge @$$ mirror in my room parallel to my bed

8. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Can't you put something on it, like a blanket or something? Or, even better, can you get it out of your room altogether? I know what you mean, mirrors really suck.

9. wolfxinxchains

Its attached to my dresser I'm pretty sure but I can ask my parents if we can get rid of it!

10. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I usually sleep in boxers and a tshirt, just boxers, or nothing (tmi maybe but it is what it is man), and change in the dark so as not to catch a glimpse of the moobs in the mirror. I ended up passing the big mirror that mounted to my dresser on to my little sister, who previously had no mirror, and got a smaller wall mirror to replace it. It's much easier to walk past without seeing myself. If you can't get rid of yours, you can do what I would do - just throw a batik tapestry over it and call it done. :lol:

11. anonym

anonym Guest

A couple of months ago my dysphoria was excruciatingly bad at night. Some nights I'd have to go to bed because I couldn't stand living a second longer and I also couldn't bear to get unchanged so I'd often go to bed fully clothed (with tight sports bra). I'd wake up in the night feeling really sick and not being able to breathe properly so you've got to be careful with these things. I had to wake up and take it off but fortunately I was too tired to be worried about dysphoria.

This is strange but now, I haven't bound for weeks and I actually find it quite liberating not to be wearing a bra for bed. I just wear a t-shirt and pj bottoms that are kind of gender neutral.

I think before I was actually making my dysphoria worse by wearing a sports bra. I can wear a normal bra so long as it's plain. I can wear a binder. I can wear no bra for bed. But not a sports bra. :-/ It actually makes me feel ill

12. Niko

I usually sleep in a T-shirt and boxers as well. In the past I have worn a sports bra to bed, but my back was starting to get major knots and just really messed up, that I stopped. You really need to be careful binding, how ever you do it, when sleeping, its not safe.
    Also sleeping on your back does help too, that way you can't feel those evil tumors in the way.

13. Ashton

Get yourself a Velcro sport back support. I wear mine to bed every night otherwise I feel like shit. Binds pretty well and you can wear it all the time without injuring yourself.

14. Blakerbake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My top dysphoria is so bad that I sleep with my chest fully binded every night. Had to take it off tonight because my chest was hurting, which is how I ended up here trying to find a way to alleviate some of my dysphoria.

15. Regaen

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dysphoria does suck, but sometimes binding even with a bra can make it worse... You feel the pressure, and you know, and it just niggles at you all night. I don't wear bras, because they are feminine and I am not a female. Typically I wear a normalish outfit to bed, I have that outfit specifically for sleeping. A snug but not tight tank top, and a pair of leggings. Nothing's hanging in the way but it isn't bound to the point I notice it.

16. Jedi

On some nights I sleep in a loose binder. It works fine for me, I just have a stiff back in the morning, but dont do it too often.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.