1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help with my relationship tendencies

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by jordli, Dec 12, 2019.

1. jordli

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi everyone,

First post here :relieved:

I'm looking for advice on how to cope with unhealthy relationship habits. Me and my current boyfriend have been dating since early August and made things official mid-October. When I spend time with him I feel great and we really enjoy ourselves. He is great with communication and being understanding, and I guess you could say I'm falling for him.

However, I have some behaviours which are cause for concern and I want to try and get rid of. Firstly I overthink every little thing to the point I can make myself believe that I'm not good enough for him, that he isn't invested in me or that he's cheating on me. I'm often very defensive and can't take jokes. I got mad recently because I felt I was ready to post a picture of us on my instagram story and he didn't do the same - I asked him why and he said it's because a lot of his followers are family and old friends from school days who don't know he is gay. Which I understand and shouldn't be mad at, but I still didn't feel satisfied. I even have dreams of him cheating on me and laughing at my suffering and wake up feeling sad - I haven't told him about this. There can be moments when I'm with him where I will be having a good time and then suddenly just go quiet and start feeling sad or angry, although I try not to outwardly express that to him. He doesn't often post to his social media but when he does I look at who has liked his pictures and work myself up when I see another gay guy who fits the description of his ideal type has liked his photos, and this same guy still messages him every now and then (they spoke on ###### before we met each other). He told me that nothing is going on between them but I find it hard to fully believe it even though I trust him. He still has pictures up with his ex on his instagram (they were together for 2 years and it was his first and only relationship) - I understand why they are still up because they are part of posts containing several other pictures from holidays they went on together. But I can't help but compare myself to his ex and think that I don't live up to what they had together. Me and him are going on holiday in 2 months time, and I'm thrilled to be going with him - but my stupid overthinking makes me think he is trying to replicate what he had with this other guy even though that's likely not the case.

I know these thoughts and behaviours are really toxic and if they continue could spell the end of things for us. And I don't want that, I really want this to work out because he is the first person I've managed to open up to, share my feelings with, even have sex with. I really care about him and want this to work. But I'm super insecure at times, I overthink far too much and have low self-esteem. As a note I think a lot of my issues with intimacy, trust and commitment stem from my father's absence in my life - he died when I was 6 years old from a drug overdose, he also had several affairs and treated my mother badly. Sometimes I believe that if my own father didn't want me and chose to walk away from my life, what man could?

But I want to change for the better and I want things to work out with my boyfriend, when things are good and when we are with each other's company I feel on top of the world and I think I am falling for him.

Any advice would be greatly appreciate, thanks :slight_smile:

2. Lek

Lek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like you are open to dealing with issues that relate to your self-esteem (feeling abandoned by your father and that you may be abandoned by your boyfriend) and your tendency to immerse yourself in jealousy. This makes me optimistic for you. I fear that jealousy can be a kind of subconscious sabotage of the relationship, so I suggest your need to explore what is the foundation for all those painful fantasies and dreams of him cheating on you.

Since he's "great with communication and being understanding" (congratulations on finding someone like that), exploring these issues with him (if you haven't already) may be very productive. If you withhold dealing with your fear, pain, and jealousy, it will, as you said, be toxic for your relationship. Building trust from the start of a relationship is very important and worth the work it takes.

I had a boyfriend who was intensely jealous. I took it to mean that he wanted to own or control me, though he thought jealousy was an expression of love. Also, I suspected that he felt that he wasn't worthy of happiness and a good relationship. I was helpless in trying to convince him that I wasn't secretly cheating on him. The "evidence" he produced was astonishing sometimes. It was painful to see how his jealousy hurt him. Unfortunately, our relationship didn't survive.

You can help yourself see that you are worth being loved by learning to love yourself. When you start feeling bad about yourself, do something to affirm yourself as worthy. Tell your boyfriend what you're feeling and try to explore why you feel that way. When you're feeling bad there are other things to do to show yourself you love yourself: Call a close friend, have a hot bath with scented candles and smooth jazz, buy a new shirt, go to a nice restaurant, hug yourself, cry ... I'm sure others will have some good suggestions for you.

I truly hope you can work your issue out, love yourself, and grow in love with your boyfriend.

3. Regaen

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't express this enough, therapy can do you a world of good. Clearly you have abandonment issues and low self esteem. You clearly don't want to sabotage this relationship, and it seems like you have a good man. I'd say, if he's good at communicating, then explain your situation. Tell him that you have these behaviors, and then make plans including him to get over it.

I know you probably feel some shame over these tendencies, most do. Don't hide from them. If you don't explain to your man, then how is he supposed to take it when all of a sudden you do something that, to him, is out of character, like going off over his ex or something? It would ruin your relationship when if he knows these things, he can take it differently.

One last thought. A lot of children feel guilty because of things their parents do. It's normal, but it's also wrong. What your father did was because of issues he had in his own life- maybe he had something to escape, and fell too deep, maybe he had a screwed up childhood, maybe he just got hooked at a party one night, who knows. But whatever his reasons were he never got the guts and determination to pull himself out, and that is not on you. No one stops using drugs for their parents, or children, or what have you. They might take a break for those reasons, but recovery is a long and painful process and if it isn't done for yourself first and foremost, it isn't done. Your father's issues were his own, and had nothing to do with you, or your mother.

I have this friend, who was born legally blind. His mother drinks, she's a total lush, and she loves to blame her alcohol problem on the troubles she had raising him. Some people even believe her. But in my case, I call bull every time she starts. For one, she was drinking while she was pregnant, heck that probably caused the blindness. She also kept drinking long after he left home. She drank because she was too weak a person to deal with herself without a crutch. Had nothing to do with my friend. Your father likely did drugs because he was too weak a person to do otherwise, and no child can hope to overcome that.

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's good you're asking for advice and recognizing potentially self-destructive behavior. That means you have potential to grow in self-confidence.

I agree about seeing a professional counselor. You will never be able to 100% guarantee a partner is not cheating, but eventually there will be a place where you learn to trust based on your shared history and his actions. Also, don't put so much emphasis on social media photos; it sounds like your boyfriend may not bother cleaning up his old photos; I have both straight and gay friends that have pictures of old relationships (men especially seem to be lax in reviewing old content).

Another thing I would say is not to feel constricted this is your only chance at dating or that you have to constantly compete with other guys for his attention. There was a recent research article that said short and long term relationships are identical at the beginning, and the length often has more to do with whether their is a plateau in interest or a constant buildup.

5. Rin311

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with the posts above that it’s excellent that you understand the dynamic you’re stuck in and want to change things. I agree that therapy could be a good idea to sort all this out.
    I’m dealing with parental abandonment too. Time and distance helps, therapy helps, but most of all working on myself and my own sense of safety in relationship and people in general helps.
    I started writing and letting things out that way. Once I let all the emotion and distorted thinking out, I can breathe and think a bit clearer. Affirming thoughts also help break the bad thinking cycles (“there’s no reason he would cheat on me”) - it’s like stopping yourself in the act. It takes practice, but it works.
    It’s a wound that never truly heals, but the good news is that it’s something that can be lived with, without it messing up your life.
    Take care.