1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colon surgery.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Poofter, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Poofter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    so due to some health concerns I am going to have to have surgery to remove part of my colon. Anyone ever have any experience with this? The GI Surgeon is kind of intimidating. And while I’m going to talk to all my docs about this but after the surgery and healing is there a reason I shouldn’t bottom anymore?

2. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Poofter,

Sorry you need surgery! I have not had experience with colon surgery. I’m glad you will talk with your doctors about this. I looked this up on Verywellhealth.com
    “Your surgeon isn't going to be shocked if you ask about anal sex during your meeting. In fact, it won't even be close to the strangest question they have ever had from a patient. If you are having surgery that pertains to the colon or rectum, you will want to get specific instructions from your surgeon about when this activity is safe.”
    I also read that radiation therapy may affect the sensitive anal tissues during treatments, so that would be something else to ask about.

3. Poofter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the reply. Fortunately I don’t have cancer and won’t be needing radiation. I have diverticula. And it got weak enough to perforate. Just a billion things going through my head and don’t see the doc again until the 4th. So thought I’d reach out here. Thanks again.

4. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy done a few months ago. Gallbladder removal due to swelling of the organ and presence of numerous gallstones and a slight pancreatic infection. Thankfully the procedure went well and I recovered just fine. I realize what I underwent wasn't a colostomy, but it was in the general gastrointestinal region and a GI surgeon performed my surgery.

Since it was laparoscopic (which I assume yours will be too) it wasn't too bad. I had a bit of bloating due to the gas they pump in for a few hours post-surgery when the anaesthesia wore off and I woke up, but it went away after a few hours. I was put in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) post-surgery overnight for observation, which is fairly casual and I was discharged the next afternoon once the doctors gave me a thorough check up.

The laparoscopic scars weren't too bad either. 5 months later, now they're thin lines on my chest and abdomen. I had to be careful for the first 2 weeks because of the staples, but once they were removed and the scars healed, I could get back to my normal schedule. No lifting heavy weights, or bending over too quickly or sleeping on my stomach for the first one month. After that I just had to figure things out slowly. It was fine.

One tip I'd like to give you is not to over-google things ha ha. Ask your doctor all the questions you want before and after the surgery. They've probably seen tons of patients like you and me, so they've heard all the strange questions too and they won't mind answering it. Googling your procedure is fine, but reading through the potential side effects and complications will just make you anxious. You can ask your doctor about that, directly. :slight_smile:

Poofter and Danabutton like this.
  5. Danabutton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My laparoscopic cholecystectomy was not the best experience. I just had mine done in November and still sore...

Poofter likes this.
  6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My dad had to have his colon removed after suffering with ulcerative colitis for 15 years. He has an ostomy bag for 3 months and now he has a j pouch with is essentially a prosthetic colon. It was hard though those 3 months. I wish you all the best!

Poofter and gravechild like this.
  7. TrevinMichael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    With each case it will be a bit different. You will have to see how things go for one. It may be how long will you have to wait till you can. It is not something set in stone or done by cookie cutters. I hope it all goes well.

Unless the doctor says this almost never would keep you from doing that.

Poofter likes this.
  8. TrevinMichael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have precancerous cells showing up after 3 years nothing. I have to go in in Feb to be checked.
    I just hope I do not have to have a second surgery to remove the cancer again.

TM