1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To hookup or not to hookup? That is the question???

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by r2de2baca, Nov 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r2de2baca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The south seems scary. You have to move up north pumpkin. I can deal with the diversity acceptance issues down there.

2. r2de2baca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have Velvet Rage. From what Im told so do other lgbt men. Those who are happy go lucky are mostly. in denial or self medicating or masking pain. So if the book says most people go through this phase then I should be right at home. Love me or leave me.

3. r2de2baca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    im sorry your loser friend flaked on you. you sound nice and have good manners. His loss. Eff him!

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know what? I'm not normally quite this harsh but... that sort of comment is typically made by someone who is a shallow, self-centered asshole.

You want super attractive people who spend 2 hours primping before they allow themselves to be seen? Go to the clubs, because that's where those types are most likely to go. You want super toned jocks that are "straight acting"? Go to wherever the gym is where all the gay guys hang out, because that's where they tend to hang out.

And what comes with either of those, in general, is incredible shallowness and/or massive attitude, brought about by massive insecurity. And quite frankly, with the dripping judgment and disrespect you're displaying here, you're unlikely to find anyone emotionally healthy, because (a) you'll probably dismiss them from consideration as they aren't as perfect as you want, and (b) if you do manage to find one, your judgmental attitude will make it difficult to keep them.

Again, the above is super harsh. But I don't know if you really get just how arrogant, self-absorbed, and judgmental you sound.

Also, for the record, my experience with Meetup groups is the complete opposite of yours: Depending on the group, they are all over the map... people young and old, attractive and not-so-attractive, masculine and more femme. None of the groups I've been to were "full of ugly socially inept weirdos or rainbow flag owning die hards", and, quite frankly, I would hope that anyone who showed up to a Meetup that shared your perspective would be less-than-politely encouraged not to return.

I guess it depends on what you want. If you're seeking a trophy boyfriend, but don't care about someone who is kind, thoughtful, emotionally available, and has done their work... that will be easy to find. But it will likely not make you happy, unless you are so out of touch with your emotions and capacity for vulnerable connection that you don't notice the lack of connection.

My hope is that you perhaps give some thought to this. Looks fade. Everyone who is gay has wounds. What matters in the long term, at least for people who are emotionally open, is true caring, loving support and encouragement, and genuine appreciation of one another. If you don't see that... well, best of luck finding something that will make you truly happy.

5. r2de2baca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Look here you little (bleep), how dare you call yourself an admin and advisor and then call me an a-hole. But since you felt it ok to bash me then you better be ready for the bashing right back. Hey if i like ugly people or fugly ones then more power to me. If I don't then more power to me. Nobody even said anything about being super toned. Im not even into super toned jocks. Maybe you are. Freudian slip much? Anyway grow up and stop bashing people who are honest about what they are looking for. I bet if you ever get a chance to go on a date, there will be some people you don't like for whatever reason. Some are going to be reasonable and some superficial and some random reasons that only you understand. Point is, it is your choice and you know what works for you. Does that give me the right to bash you? No. Don't take your own personal issues and insecurities out on me. Seek therapy and be the change you so-call supposedly are here to help others find. Who needs support from you when it comes out in such a open tirade. Try sending a DM next time instead trying to publicly flog me. Grow up and quit with the passive aggressive behavior and antics.And being attractive and a good person are not mutually exclusive. If you were either you would know that.

#45 r2de2baca, Dec 5, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  6. r2de2baca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And one more thing its really amazing you have great meetups. The ones I went to I did not find appealing. I did not say that during them, I just politely did not return. What are you, the barometer for meetup experiences? If yours were rosy and amazing then everyone else should have the same experience and feel the same way about theirs or be bashed if they did not meet your level of what you think one should feel? Who exactly made you the Customer Experience Meetup Manager?

7. Railwayj

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sign me up. Lol

8. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is legitimately the best piece of advice anyone could give you OP and you posted it yourself. I’m not sure you realize how your comments come off. I’m not saying you’re (nor did Chip) a self centered asshole. However, when you’re reading words on a screen you’re limited to only what’s written so we don’t get any little hints at what’s sarcasm, humor, etc. So unless it’s stated clearly it’s taken literally often. People have already pointed out to you how your comments seem to be abrasive, dismissive, combative... I try to be very careful with my word choices... like “comments seem” rather than ‘comments are’ because I don’t know if it is your intent for them to come off that way. Well the last two for sure it’s clear lol but the others not so much.

Now about the happy go lucky people... I’m one of them. I’m not in denial and I don’t self medicate... masking my pain I’m not sure I’d even say that lol ok a little... I am a happy person most of the time. I know how horrible life can be so I try and focus on the positive as much as possible. But I also learned early on people didn’t ask to many questions of the happy person so it was kinda a wall so I guess that works too. I’m in therapy and destroyed all the walls so I’m a mess. But I do wanna say in normal day to day life I’m just happy... not for any other reason but knowing life is fragile and there’s a lot of pain. So I wanna experience joy and spread it. That’s just a thought.

We all have people we click with for sure. Some on sexual attraction, some deeper than that, and some just friends. Some people we don’t vibe with at all... I’ve not met many people off the bat that had just been a no go but there was something about them that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up so I was like nope we good! Something I don’t understand is why do you need to be sexually attracted to someone to be friends with them? I mean if you find someone “fugly” and immediately dismiss them without even given them a chance to be your friend you’re missing a great opportunity. The eclectic group you meet at meetings (because it’s a diverse bag lol I mean mine had the rainbow cover people to the gym jocks lol) is really how I think our community should be. All different types coming together. Ok... so you don’t find anyone you wanna be with! You make a few amazing friends and then hanging out talking they think of a friend that you have to meet and he turns out perfect... I mean you just never know. So don’t cut your nose off to spit your face man!

I really hope you find some balance to this situation :slight_smile:

9. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @r2de2baca WOW, I am sorry but I have to agree with Chip here, you and your posts come across VERY VERY poorly. You might want to read your messages again and remind yourself that it’s HUMAN BEINGS you are talking about!
    Comparing them to discount sales rack is appalling same as using the word “fugly.”

Your standards of beauty are yours, you not finding someone attractive doesn’t make them ugly let alone “fugly” or unworthy. You need to have a long hard look at yourself and how you treat/talk about others and maybe consider that it could be why you are still single.

I would dare say I am not “fugly” or socially inept, far from it, BUT if I met a girl that happened to be gorgeous but who spoke of others like you I would run a mile in the other direction.

You seem to be totally unaware of what’s appropriate and not appropriate to say and seem to fail at wanting to consider your own flaws and downfalls which lead me to think that maybe while you are too busy judging others for being who they are and their social skills you fail to acknowledge your own lack of social skills and failures.

please reconsider the words you use, no doubt if you speak like this about others to others in real-life you will close many doors for yourself. I don’t know anyone who would want to date someone who speak of others in such appalling terms (thankfully!).

10. r2de2baca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks buddy. Therapy is actually good especially when you can find a good therapist. You sound like a nice guy. I like that. I am experiencing Velvet Rage which may be why things are coming out like they are. Im sure everyone can relate to some degree. Yes you dont need to be a cutie to be a bff. I think I was going with a one track mind looking for a more positive place to meet potential dating matches and when I didnt see any, I gave it a few chances to see if anyone new would show up I liked and when they didnt I stopped going. As far as friends no you dont have to be attractive to be a friend, but I do have to feel like we have things in common or would run in the same circles. Other than liking guys, that was about it we had in common after talking and mingling with some of these people. It didnt feel like a natural fit for me. I will likely be leaving EC. I cant be honest here without someone taking it personal. Im not wanted here anyway unless I say everything is amazing so maybe this is not the best place for me. Thanks buddy.

11. r2de2baca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks you're right. Im a horrible person and the only person who has ever thought someone was ugly or fugly. In fact I am so unique I actually coined the words just right now and they have never been spoken by anyone verbally or in their head until me. Yes I am being sarcastic and yes I am leaving EC. and Yes it sounds like you and everyone else will be happy. So Im constantly told to read Velvet Rage but when I express the things that are leading to my velvet rage I am bashed for it. Awesome. Read read read read this book but never actually express or feel the things this book details about why people are so upset and angry hurt and depressed in the gay experience. Sounds logical to me. Thanks for the support.

#51 r2de2baca, Dec 5, 2019
  12. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Frankly, no I won’t miss you. But don’t let that push you away from EC. Of course you are not the first person using those words, plenty of bully use them too. But when you think your standards defines other people’s worth and are an accurate representation of them, that is very dangerous and inaccurate and at 40 you should know better.

it’s not about sharing openly what your problem with the LGBT community are because your only problems seems to be that you think gay men are either “too gay” or “ too ugly” and those aren’t problems people can or should fix. Those are your OWN shallow issues that you need to work on and if those shallow issues make you angry then yes therapy for you might be a good idea. People don’t owe it to you to be good looking or more masculine, you haven’t once mentioned what you are doing to adapt to other people’s tastes or the scene yet seem to expect other men to do that for you.

#52 Lin1, Dec 5, 2019
  13. r2de2baca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow sounds like you are bullying and attacking me. "Frankly No I wont miss you" "At 40 you should know better" Agist much? Now who is taking pot shots? Yea this is not for me. Thats not nice to say. You need to stop trying to put extra stuff in. I never said people cant be themselves. By all means do that. If I dont feel comfortable I have every right to be. I never even mentioned anyone being masculine or feminine at a meetup. You did not me. Anyway, Attacking me is not the answer. Maybe you should do what you are advocating. Leave me alone if you dont like me and stop bullying me.

#53 r2de2baca, Dec 5, 2019
  14. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I hate the idea of you leaving EC honestly because it’s a great place. I’ve had to step away because of other reasons for brief periods but the idea of doing it mad is never good. I’d definitely wait and let things settle before I made the decision. But if you do have to step away you can always come back so that’s the good thing.

So you have said velvet rage a few times and (don’t judge me please lol) I’d be lying if I said I had any clue what you were talking about. I did a quick google and I’ll look more before I comment for sure hahaha

Who we sleep with can’t be the only thing in common (though the community is so small often we have shared lovers lol)... but I love a diverse group of friends. Again there needs to be something to build on. Like the volunteer group I did, Zumba class, cooking class, etc. these are mine of course. Ways I’ve connected with people. I think a lot of guys have two spends... an anonymous quick bang and done or long term relationship on the table right away. It is hard to find someone in between. And I wanna say there’s nothing wrong with either of these. They just aren’t for everyone. Me I don’t mind a hookup but I also like a coffee date with a potential new friend and see where it goes (no commitment any where in sight right away I’m not rushing that). Finding a balance with someone you like and are attracted too is like finding a needle in a gay stack in a very small stack of gays (I live in small town lol).

What are your interests? I just realized I’ve actually not asked that at all... sorry!

15. r2de2baca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Awww you sound adorbs. :slight_smile: I would say my interest but in DM. Doesnt feel like a safe place here anymore on this forum. Stay awesome! I have requested deletion. :frowning2: Bye buddy.

16. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :frowning2: well I hope you find what you’re looking for!

17. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Running away from situations where people are genuinely trying to help will probably not be an effective strategy. If you re-read what I wrote, you'll see that I said "that sort of comment is typically made by someone who is..." That wording was intentional. I was not saying you were what I said, only that the language is typical of those who fit that description. The fact you responded the way you did, and the vitriol and anger that came with it would, to me, point to something that you might want to look at.

Psychologists tell us that the venomous things we spout toward others are typically a reflection of what's in our own unconscious -- our fears are that we are what we're angry/projecting on to others about. And when we take the opportunity to mull that over, think about how we've reacted, and what might be there, using the 'compassionate curiosity' that Gabor Maté talks about, we nearly always discover things about ourselves that are worth looking at.

Additionally, reading 'The Velvet Rage' does not give one a license to rage at others. If that's what you took from the book, you may want to either re-read it, or discuss it with someone, preferably a professional. You suggested therapy, and I think that's something you'd really benefit from.

I'd encourage you to think about both what I've said and what others here have said. Rather than immediately condemning, there may well be something to take from this thread.

Of course... the easier solution is to just run away and ignore the input and make those who are offering it wrong. The problem is... that input will likely come back to you again at some point, and often it's more painful the next time.

The choice is, of course, yours.

#57 Chip, Dec 5, 2019
  18. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    lol do you know what bullying and ageism is? No, I reiterate that I won’t miss you if you leave because I do NOT know you. Would you miss me if I leave? I don’t expect you will? Saying that I expect a 40 yo man to behave in a somehow mature way is not ageism, it’s basic common sense. I am in my twenties and I am pretty positive people expect me to behave better than my 12yo counterparts so sorry if I expect you, at 40, to have enough life experience and common sense to know how to be polite and mindful when addressing and referring others. No, I don’t expect a 40 yo man to use the words sales rack and fugly when referring to people that are not to their taste. Call that “ageism” and “bullying” if you like.

For someone who likes to speak badly of others and their social skills and question how sensitive people get on EC you sure as hell like to throw the “bullying” word and get offended as soon as someone addresses your own behavior. Why do you think that is?

Anyway, leave EC, or don’t. But know that if you stay, you will always be set right when using appalling descriptions to describe others. It has nothing to do with your right to express your feelings. There are plenty of ways to express how
    much you hate the gay community without going down the path of outrageous insults and dehumanizing others. And had you expressed yourself in a way that wasn’t dehumanizing to others, I can guarantee you that you would have found more support on here. In life, you will find that people treat you and address you the same way you address them. Change your way of interacting and you will soon find people interact differently with you too.

alwaysforever and Chip like this.
  19. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds like it will be a nice gathering....

The point I keep trying to make every time these discussions of how difficult it is for gay folks to find compatible dates is that it takes work.

I know when I came out as bisexual I imagined I would suddenly walk into this scene where I would be instantly welcomed with open arms. I would find my "people". Well, it just doesn't work that way does it? And, it is unreasonable to expect it will.

So. I say it over and over. We have to attend EVERY event we can. Try hiking groups, attend every activity thrown by the LGBT center....etc.

The OP wants a relationship with a "regular guy". That's cool. We all have our attractions. But, I will say that my "regular guy" friends would be pretty put out if I didn't go to a party with them because I was not wanting to be around other gay men who I felt were too flamboyant or campy.

Ive been chastisted in this forum a couple times for making statements about the types of guys I find attractive, or, how "gay" sometimes feels like it requires a particular look or behavior. So, I get where the OP is coming from. But, what I feel MIGHT be different from the OP is that I have become more a part of the overall LGBT community as I learn to be more accepting of the rest of the community. It's a two way street.

One needs this community to find the perfect guy because the odds he will show up out of the blue is pretty low.

If I come across as a little pushy on this it is probably because I keep pushing my boyfriend to get out there. in his case he just uses the apps and hopes the right guy shows up for him to meet. That's a strategy. But, I've known him a year and that strategy doesn't really work.

I wrote this post before a lot of the more recent posts were written but still thought I would comment. @r2b2baca, I urge you to continue engaging THIS community. I get this sense that you MIGHT give up quickly when you don't hear or see what you want to hear or see. This isn't an accusation. This is just something to consider. When challenged here, it seems you resort to lashing out in ways I bet you really don't feel and then look at running away. When you think about the "dating" scene this same attitude will not suit you well.

I say stupid things sometimes and I get called on it here. But, I live my life being as non-judgmental as I can. Part of this is that I try and engage every person I meet. It doesn't matter what they look like or what their political views or social standing is. I do this, not for myself, but because it is the way I think we all should behave. What do I get out of this? I'm not super handsome or anything but I know I would never have a problem finding someone to date (of either sex). I would suggest that instead of trying to find acceptable people to interact with you try and interact with everyone. You might be surprised what avenues this opens up to you.

Chip likes this.
  20. r2de2baca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sweatpea. three words:
    Let
    It
    Go
    and go check out the book Velvet Rage. You seem to have a lot of it yourself. Now runalong...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.