1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My story (in progess)

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by aboutface, Oct 14, 2014.

1. aboutface

Thanks everyone. It definitely is a big step on the journey and I'm thankful that it's gone well.

We haven't talked about it much since actually. I think her conscious choice when dealing with her adult children has been to back off from telling us (I have a sister) how to live and only occasionally giving a bit of advice, normally followed by "ok, I'll stop being a mom now." I think in this vein she is also choosing not to bring this back up much right now and leaving that up to me somewhat. But, I also have decided it might be good to give her a little space to absorb it. She said the right things and I think she means them, but it was obviously a really big surprise to her.

The most encouraging thing though is it does feel like nothing at all has really changed between us when we're interacting about other stuff. This was one of my biggest fears that it would so I'm very thankful for that.

I'm composing a letter to send to other close family. I've pretty much decided with them that the written word is going to be the best way to try and do it for me. The phone calls or in person conversations can happen later but I want to be sure to be able to express myself as best I can initially and I think this is the best way. If I tried in person I anticipate a couple of them at least might be compelled to interrupt and tell me everything that is wrong with this "decision" I am making.

I'll probably print them out and stick them in envelopes and mail them instead of email, once I actually stop procrastinating and finish writing them heh. I guess it feels slightly less casual that way?

Anyways, that's what's going on for now on that front. I'm also going to go on a MLK weekend trip to another area to scope it out with thoughts of maybe eventually at some point moving there.

2. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's really good to hear from you and to read your progress. I'm glad that it's going well so far, please don't let any negativity get you down.

3. Nickinthemiddle

Hi Aboutface,

I just went through your thread and wanted to tell you that it's really brave of you to do what you're doing and thank you for posting it all, it is already I am sure and will be helpful to others facing the same :slight_smile:

4. aboutface

So another update! Might get a bit wordy with this one. :lol:

I took a trip to the Austin/San Antonio area over MLK weekend. I've mentioned before how I'm just not sure if where I am right now is going to work for me long term, and most of the reasons people my age or older have for not wanting or being able to just up and move aren't applying to me at the moment, so actually the timing could be pretty good if I decide I want to do that. Not sure why I fixated on that area other than Austin has a bit of a reputation for being quite liberal for the South, and I don't actually want to move out of the South entirely, I just don't see myself in like SoCal or NYC at all.

I knew I had one friend in the area. This is actually a guy I "met" on a dating site a couple months ago. He's originally from my state (MS) and we went to the same college. We've been texting pretty regularly for a couple months, and I opened up pretty quickly with him and he's really helped me out with stuff, including encouraging me to come out to mom, and to think about moving (he was not a fan of trying to be gay in Mississippi either and it was a major reason he moved to Texas after college). But he also made it clear at some point that we were going to be friends and not more, and he did relate it back to my own inexperience. I had gotten my hopes up a bit but I adjusted when he told me that. With a little perspective now I can see how there might be some legitimately good reasons to keep it platonic with him based on our personalities and the relationship dynamic, although I still have a bit of an issue with the actual reason he gave (inexperience, and more specifically his assumption that I would naturally want to explore for a while without asking me if that is actually what I wanted) and told him as much.

But anyways, on to the trip. I drove over on Friday but this friend couldn't meet me until Monday due to another commitment. I did touristy stuff alone Saturday during the day and Sunday. The History of Texas Museum was cool, although also depressing when you let it sink in how awful people are to each other throughout history. So I met this guy on Monday for the first time in person, and we had lunch and just talked a bit, him offering some perspective as a gay guy who's been out for a while, and then he showed me around his area which is a town in between Austin and SA, and has some beautiful nature spots. It was a good meeting and he's a really good guy and he made it clear if I did move out that way that I'd have a friend in him, which is awesome.

But I skipped over Saturday and Monday evenings, which turned out to be probably be the most encouraging and cool thing. I wasn't intending this, but I ended up connecting with another guy on this same dating site from San Antonio 4 or 5 days prior to leaving. I wasn't planning to try to bother anyone because who wants to be randomly contacted by a guy living hundreds of miles away? But did end up browsing through profiles of the area just because, and naturally I clicked on a couple as I went. So this site shows people who has viewed their profile, and the next day I get an email saying this guy has added me as a favorite. When I realized which one it was it was kind of just a jolt of positive energy for me, I thought it was so cool.

So anyway, I took that as an opening to message him, explained that I was thinking of moving to the area which was why I was even viewing his profile in the first place. He said that was cool, that he just thought that he liked my personality from the profile and that we'd get along, and if I was ever in the area he'd show me around. I said "well, actually, this coming weekend..." and we ended up agreeing to meet Saturday.

So Saturday evening comes and I drive down to San Antonio to meet him for dinner at a Mexican restaurant. Yes, this is my first gay date ever. I'm a little nervous at first naturally, but it was surprising how just... comfortable things were between us very quickly. We're actually both fairly introverted, but it didn't matter as the conversation flowed pretty easily. We found some things in common, including that we're both pretty big NBA fans (him Spurs obviously, me Grizzlies), but even more than that we just connected as people pretty quickly. We ended up just going for ice cream after supper and talking more and that was basically that. We both said we really enjoyed it and I think we could both tell the other meant it.

Monday afternoon, actually while I was with the first "just friends" guy (call him F), the guy from SA (we'll call him that) texts me like we'd been doing a little bit since then. F basically tells me right away I should try and see him again before I drive back the next day, so I decide he's right, so I ask SA if he'd like to hang out again that evening and he said yes. The 2nd time was actually fairly similar to the first, it was mostly conversation over dinner, then we drove around for a bit b/c we weren't sure what to do, then we stopped at a fast food place for some soft serve ice cream. The notable difference is I took an opportunity over supper to let him know how early in the coming out process it is for me, and basically hit on a number of the things that are present in previous posts from me in this thread. Given the previous experience with F I had been a bit hesitant about revealing this but I just felt comfortable with this guy so I went with it when there was an opportunity in the conversation for me to go there. He was a little surprised and a bit inquisitive but also just super understanding and supportive. Conversation turned to other things as we continued to get to know each other and I think we both just enjoyed interacting with each other like before.

The only thing actually physical between us was a hug at the end of the 2nd meeting. There was one at the end of the first but it was just a brief little thing, but this one was more than just a normal hug, and then there was a 2nd one a minute later. So good. It wasn't about sex but just, I don't know, appreciating each other as people.

So that was basically it. SA said if I do move to the area he would definitely hang out with me more and we left it at that. I drove back Tuesday and it's back to the grind at least for now. But it was a great trip. I'm still texting some with both of the guys I mentioned to stay somewhat connected and I expect that to continue. I do think I'm going to try to find a job in the area and move there. It just makes so much sense.

It also just really outlined for me why those steps I've started taking and the ones I still need to take are going to be worth it. I don't want to get ahead of things with this guy but even just taking it for that experience in and of itself, it was just great. It's something I hadn't experienced before, because I hadn't even allowed for the possibility ever before. There's no point dwelling on that, but that period is now over and I know I'm moving in the right direction.

Sorry this got so super duper long. Thanks for reading it through those of you that made it. I hope it can be encouraging to others because I myself am feeling pretty encouraged right now.

JToivonen likes this.
  5. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I were you, I would focus on the job search for now, knowing that if you decide to move preemptively to the new area, you will have some friends to continue your coming out process with to support you and talk with you; maybe more, but that will come later. If you make future trips there for an interview, you will also have something positive to look forward to on the social front as well. It's time for a smile on your face; things are going well.

6. bi2me

Thanks for the update! Sounds like things are looking up :slight_smile:

7. aboutface

Time for an update? Yeah.

So I sent out letters to family a few weeks ago now. Overall reactions have been good. My Southern Baptist associate pastor uncle responded just by saying that he loved me and appreciated my honesty and hoped we could have a dialogue about things sometime. I responded that I loved him too and would be open to a dialogue (further interaction has not yet happened, I figured it was best for now to just let it be and give it time). My 19 year old cousin (his son) also responded that he didn't believe my claim that being gay could just be a part of who someone is, but that he still loved me and valued me as a cousin and friend. Other reactions were more positive. Still haven't heard from a couple people, but I'm not pressing things right now with anyone.

The other major update is that I took a trip to meet this same guy from the previous trip (SA) last weekend, Valentines day weekend. It seems the connection I felt on our first 2 meetings was also felt on his end. We had stayed in touch through texting since meeting and eventually mutually agreed to meet basically half way for us.

Oh man, what a great weekend. Incredible. Just spending time with him is great, there's just a natural chemistry and connection there. We've got a lot in common, both big things and small. I love just hanging out with him, and by all indications he feels the same. Of course, hanging out isn't all we did. We spent a decent amount of time in each other's arms. And the kissing... oh wow the kissing. I'm a reserved kind of guy so I won't go any more into specifics than that. I'll just reiterate what an amazing weekend it was.

We didn't want to leave, but obviously had to. I'm more determined than ever to try and find a job there now. I mean I know objectively just uprooting only for the sake of someone I've only spent 2 dates and a weekend with in person doesn't sound great, but I think it makes sense for me even without that and I was considering it even before I knew this guy. That said, I swear there's really something there with him. Something potentially great. I want to be able to see that through, damn it.

The whole weekend was also so affirming for the other steps I've (finally) been taking in this coming out process. I have not before now even allowed the possibility of finding something like that in life. I'm so glad I finally took some steps to change that.

JToivonen likes this.
  8. arken1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am pretty sure what you are describing here is being in love. I hope to have that some day.

I think as long as there is other motivation to move, then it's safe to move closer to this guy. Otherwise, I'd say keep it long-distance for at least a few months and see what happens. But, I think you've got a good thing going, here. (!)

9. aboutface

I don't know if it's love. It seems pretty early for that. I do know that I really, really like him and he feels the same way. I could see it getting there, and I know I want to see where it exactly it could go.

10. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    aboutface.....Welcome to EC! Wow, your story could be (is) mine! I did so many things in my life because that was simply what was expected...I mean that was what a guy did. Date girls, find one, get married, have children, have grandchildren (yes, I'm that old). Yet all the while I knew that wasn't what I really wanted. I can't complain too much (I'd like to), but it got me through the decades where so many were, and still are, being lost to AIDS. I have a wonderful wife, whom I do love, children and grandchildren. It would seem the American Dream. and...I'm not horribly unhappy or depressed, etc. ....but when a group of people walk by it's not the women I check out. It never has been and it never will be. On Dec. 25th I typed-here on EC- for the first time "I am Gay". I couldn't believe I'd had actually done that. It was a time that for some reason I was just at the end of my "emotional" rope and I don't know why. But it all came spilling out in the middle of copious tears. I've always known....no question that I was gay. It just wasn't acceptable in society so I learned to ignore it....but it is me. Now at 64 years old it's too late to change this path publicly....far too much hurt to those that I really do love (I do not believe love is sexually orientated). I love them all....so better that I stay my course than destroy them....I know, I know....if they really love me they'll accept me anyway. And they do, and they would....but I still will not cause them the pain and hurt that this revelation would cause. This is my path...not yours or any other person's. And, believe me, I don't wish staying in the closet for my entire life on anyone. But at least here on EC I can be me! I can say what I feel and share with others....I can not tell you or anyone what a blessing that has been to me in less than a month. This last month has such an incredible impact on my life!! Oh, I still catch a glance at a hot guy....and I don't care if he's 20 and I'm 64....I still get to look! I am so much more at rest with myself since I've found this outlet. And just a few days days ago I actually came out (by email) to a former student of mine who lives in the UK now. I always thought he might be gay, then he posted some things on FB that confirmed. We shared four or five emails and I finally felt OK to tell him. His acceptance was almost more than I could handle...so now one person who knows me, actually knows me! You know this started out as a welcome to EC post and look where I've gone...just talking about myself. So I'll quit that!!! One thing I'd like to tell you.....do not live your life alone! When you've worked through all the things that you have to deal with....find someone!.......David

11. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Quebec, I totally respect your position — your life is yours, and no one can tell you what to do with it. Each person should do what feels right for him, not what someone else expects him to do.
    But just to offer a different perspective — I too am 64 and came out to my wife of 30 years and two adult children last June. My life has only gotten better, and I have no regrets, despite the pain I caused to others, primarily my wife. She and I are still living together and are best of friends, though we plan to establish separate households in the near future. She is actively seeking new partners, and I have a guy I am seeing. We have not been without our ups and downs, but thankfully, the way is becoming smoother, even as it becomes clearer which way we're heading. My boyfriend even came for Christmas dinner, and we all got along famously.

12. aboutface

So it's been a while. Thought I'd drop in and give an update, for anyone who remembers this thread at all or anyone who has the patience and interest to read it. :slight_smile:

So after a few months of trying and a couple dead ends, I managed to find a job and moved to San Antonio about the beginning of August. It was a temp to hire position through an employment agency, with conversion to permanent employee coming after 3 months, or about a month ago. The job is going really well, I like it and have no real complaints. I am completely certain that, for me, a move like this was a very good decision. Not only was the job market in that smallish Mississippi town pretty tough, but there were just too many other limitations there.

I also found a local LGBT (and allies) centered tennis group, and have been enjoying that, both the tennis and getting to know some really cool people.

The move of course has allowed this relationship with the guy I had met here to develop, and it really has. Yeah, we're in love. :love: We're going strong and it's been really awesome and we both expect it to continue that way. We don't live together but live 5 minutes apart, and spend most evenings and larger chunks of weekends together. Being with him is both effortless and life-affirming. We've talked a little about the future and marriage (in a *some day* kind of way) but we're not in a hurry, content to just be in the moment with each other, and it's really good.

I'm very thankful that I managed to find what I needed to take the steps that I've taken that have opened up beautiful parts of life that I was not allowing for myself before. I'm happy with where I am and am hopeful and optimistic and looking forward to what's to come.

JToivonen likes this.
  13. Ryuji35

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're an inspiration. This gives me hope that it's not it's not too late for me (mid20s here) I feel jealous and happy at the same time hahah!!!

14. arken1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Great to hear from you, aboutface! I am so glad that worked out for you. I did remember you meeting someone there. I have not met anyone like that yet (to fall in love with), but have been seriously considering a move to a large city as well and hoping to find what you found. Just not a lot of gay guys in the deep south, go figure? Such a great story!!!

15. SWburbchgo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am really glad you have kept us informed on what is going on in your life. Also congratulations on finding someone and making a brand new start!

16. bi2me

Congratulations! I'm glad the move and the relationship have gotten off to such a great start!

17. aboutface

Was anyone clamoring for an update, 4 - 5 years later? No? Well here is one anyways. :slight_smile:

I got married roughly 18 months ago (May 15th, 2018). It's the same guy I had mentioned meeting in this thread. We're madly in love, and continuing to build our lives together. My mom has gotten to know my husband and I think genuinely likes him, and I think has taken the position that if he's important to me then he's important to her too. She's still a devout Southern Baptist hasn't explicitly clarified her current position on homosexuality or same sex relationships, but still overall I'll take it.

Still living in San Antonio. Job is still going well. Still very active in the LGBT+ and allies tennis club. Overall things are going really well.

Sorry, maybe a boring update heh. I think yesterday my husband and I were talking about things we were thankful for, and my mind came back to this time in my life, and even this message board. One of the things I'm very thankful for was that I was able to take the steps I needed to even make this current life I have possible. They weren't easy, but they were necessary. I'm also thankful for the support I was able to receive on here during that time, it really helped.

So, thank you to Empty Closets! I hope other people in their own situations can receive the same kind of helpful support that I have, and can find the courage to take steps to better themselves and their lives, whatever that means for them.

18. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations, @aboutface! Nothing boring about the update at all. Happiness is a wonderful gift, and hearing about it gives others something to aspire to.

It's weird to revisit my mindset from 5 years ago. I mentioned a "catalyst" friendship with a guy from church in this thread; I haven't seen him for some time, but his daughter and mine were friends through high school and are now freshmen at the same college. How ironic. He doesn't know that I was crushing on him and probably never will, but I suspect he would be mildly amused and not at all threatened by it.

A couple days ago my aunt held the standard giant family Thanksgiving, complete with her many kids and grandkids, me and my siblings nd our families (my long-deceased mom was her older sister), and whoever else of the family stops in. My older daughter rode with my partner and me, and we met up with my ex-wife and my younger daughter and all arrived together at the same time. We all got warm welcomes and hung around together for most of the party. He and I have been together for years and I still find myself amazed at how no one even bats an eye when we show up together. We have become "boring" too, or at any rate completely normal and accepted as a couple, and he has become as much a part of the extended family as my ex-wife was and still is. And that really feels pretty special, not "boring" at all.

I know that some people use coming out as their way to utterly reject anything resembling the old societal norms they lived within, and begin a new life completely different from the old, with new rules and a completely new cast of characters. That was not for me; I am happy to have been able to stay close to the people who have been in my life for years, and add new layers instead of lopping old ones off and tossing them in a garbage can labeled "Heternormative". But most people were only mildly surprised when I came out, and my challenge was not nearly as much in accepting being gay, as it was how to make it work in my life as a whole. It's good to look back at where I was 5 years ago and realize that it was worth it. There are as many ways of coming out and being out as there are people who WANT to come out and be out. If you are true to yourself and keep in mind what matters to you, there is always a way, and you can have the life you thought was impossible.

JToivonen likes this.
  19. JToivonen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, @aboutface , I'm truly inspired with your story!

And the fact that you found one big love...wow, what a beautiful story!

I'm right in the middle of my divorce...and I'm coming out at the same time. It's so, so overwhelming I feel like giving up sometimes. But stories like yours give me strength to carry on!

So thanks for the update - and I agree with @Choirboy , it's not boring at all!