1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Split without divorce?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Fritzcoop, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Fritzcoop

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My wife and I were talking about when we break up. One of us will be moving probably by the end of May. In our discussion my wife said that she didn't think we needed the trouble and expense of a legal divorce. She doesn't believe that she will remarry. I can't predict the future. Have any of you heard of quitting a marriage but not divorcing? Any advantages or disadvantages?

2. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My ex and I have been legally separated for about 4 years now. Given that she had never worked full time (her choice, well demand really), I thought that the fair and honorable thing was to give her some time to adjust while i still could cover her on my insurance and pick up the major bills. We're going to finalize it in the coming year now that both kids are legal adults. Unfortunately, she has made no real effort to be responsible or look for full time work with benefits, and now is stressing over looking for "poor people's insurance" and bemoaning hollow her income is on the 24 hours a week that she works.

If I did not have the legal document at least outlining who pays what, I'd be screwed. If you and your wife are defnitely not getting back together, I'd strongly advise you make sure there is a legal document spelling out what is expected. And while she may never intend to remarry, maybe you will eventually want to. I stumbled across my soulmate before she and I even filed, and I can tell you I had no intentions of even dating. He's been a saint putting up with my partial break from her, and I look forward to making things legal with him. If we weren't at least legally separated, I cant imagine what I would be putting him through. I'd advise you protect your emotions and finances for the long term by making it legal.

#2 Choirboy, Nov 27, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    bluehorizon and Fritzcoop like this.
  3. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You could always file a "no fault" divorce. Neither side takes any money in that case and it pretty much just means you're not married anymore and there's nothing to be contested. My one friend got a no fault divorce and he hasn't seen or heard from his ex-wife in many years, now. They don't bother each other because the divorce was neither of their faults.

4. Fuzzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would be sure to at least do a legal separation...

5. Fritzcoop

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I appreciate the input you all have given. The state that I live in does not have "legal separation ". However, a non contested divorce seems simple. But she says that she doesn't want divorce. I think we will come to that. She just needs time.