1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oddly Enjoying my Single life, but wondering if the desire for a future partner will return.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by OnTheHighway, Nov 25, 2019.

1. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have been single now for the last six months. I have a good group of friends that I am emotionally close to (just strong emotion social connections, no physical connections with said group of friends at this point). I have an active life with not much down time.

As I dyed because I thought that is what I was supposed to be doing as a single gay man when I would meet some guys for the first time and sense their desire to find “the one” to settle down with rather then being enthusiastic by their attention it actually turns me off. Even after six months of being single, I simply have not had any desire to look for or make another commitment with anyone.

As a result, I have stopped going on dates and have mostly kept my social life to my current group of friends. I travel quite a bit and enjoy meeting people on my travels, but that is more to get a sense of local communities or have a bit of socialization while on the road. Once I sense someone’s desire to try and get to know me “better”, even when traveling, it’s as if a switch goes off in my head and I pull away.

I recognize I have had more than a few false starts with prior commitments/relationships in the past and I am concerned about making another mistake. I also recognize I am enjoying my time simply having a relationship with myself feeling secure in my own skin. It seems to be two ends of a seesaw keeping me balanced.

But I have been pondering whether this is just a phase I am going through or whether I am just happier at this point in life being single. I will never say never and will always keep the door open to possibilities, so I guess time will tell.

2. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say phase. You appear to be a wild animal who's been let out of his' cage.

OnTheHighway and Contented like this.
  3. cjmiller

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I agree with @brainwashed. Eventually, you will find the right person you may want to date.

4. 1cgd

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When I came out to my ex wife and family about a year ago, my grand plan was to enjoy a second adolescence, make my rounds, make friends, have a ton of sex with a bunch of guys and just be a wild man. I had a few hookups in my first month after moving out and then on pure chance, was introduced to a handsome professional single guy who also had an ex and kids. We bonded over our stories, laughed at each other’s silly jokes, went on a few dates and while we were both content to be single, couldn’t pass up the chance to spend more & more time together. We are now a crazy combination of being in something that’s new to both of us, and an old married couple (although not married!).

My point is, I had planned to be single, smash with dudes when I felt like it, and basically take time to get to know myself as a gay man, but here I am with the same guy now for 8 months, with no real sign of there ever being anyone else. Life is unpredictable. Take it as it comes!

cjmiller likes this.
  5. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For a period of time I would say that was true. But I feel my second and even third adolescence have subsided.

I am taking the holiday period away from all my friends (albeit connecting with some distant ones while I travel) as a time to reflect and think about what I really want.

You may be right, I am just not sure.

6. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't want to rush into a permanent relationship (partner/marriage) after coming out. This is in part because I needed to decompress after being married for a long time and because I'm actively co-parenting a minor child. I've been in/prefer relationships though none of them have panned out to be permanent ones.

As for your question, I feel that being comfortable being single is an important prerequisite for any relationship, especially permanent ones. One needs to be whole/complete going into a relationship. As such, this is probably a consolidation period for you. Whether you are happier being single or in a relationship, though, that's ultimately your call. Remain open to the possibilities and love may find you when you least expect it.

#6 SiennaFire, Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    OnTheHighway likes this.
  7. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have established a very solid group of guys that, even as plutonic friends, I have tremendous affection and emotional attachment to. At one point in time some of those relationships did include a physical element to them which have since been removed. They are there for me just as I am there for them. As I have looked back on the committed relationships I have been in, both straight and gay, they have always seemed to follow along similar dynamics established by the heteronormative script. I am just not sure such dynamics fit who I am as a person.

#7 OnTheHighway, Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  8. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Be careful. About the time I decided I genuinely enjoyed being single, I met my husband. Sometimes the universe has other plans. LOL

9. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally get that, and that’s why I never say never and it’s the debate I am having with myself.

10. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Over the past two weeks, with another week to go, I have been traveling on my own reflecting and thinking about life. One of the things I have concluded is that I will be open to having another relationship with someone, but I am not going to aggressively pursue it. Rather than focus on sexual chemistry as I have previously, I plan to be patient and find the guy that complements me in my entirety. If that person exists, great I will cherish him. If not, I will continue to enjoy the relationship I am currently having with myself.

11. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it could easily be a phase or a new way of life, there are really rewarding ways to staying single and still building lots of meaningful connections, as you have been. What does your gut tell you though? It's nice to ride along this current wave and see where it takes you, there's definitely a lot to experience and learn! And it sounds like you will find contentment with either path, wherever you end up. I think that at least at the moment while it feels really instinctive to stay single see where it takes you.