1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is a document from a doctor needed?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Mihael, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi

I haven't posted in a long time. I have a technical question. I'm living as a guy right now, but I don't take hormones. I pass, I mean, it's not a perfect passing but I do get sirred a lot and while I don't care for which bathroom I use, I get trouble for using the female bathroom. So now I use the male bathroom. I use a male name and he pronouns. I have short hair and wear male clothes. My ID says something else and my passing isn't ideal. And that all in combination unsettles some people. I get questioned every now and then.

In such situations, a medical document makes things easier. But I don't get treated for transgenderism. I also don't intend to make legal changes. I think that if I asked a doctor who deals with trans patients, they would send me the normal diagnostic and give a "paper" just like for everyone else. The thing is, it requires a few psychologist and doctor visits, and hence it costs. Apart from it, I lead a busy, happy life, and those several doctor and psychologist visits are tiring.

Hence my question. Do you have any insight how much such a medical certificate is needed in everyday situations? I don't plan any surgeries soon.

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I only know how things are in the united states. Here, some states have legislated that you have to use the bathroom that matches the maker on your ID. Here in the US, the only way that you can get that documatation is through a doctor.

Mihael likes this.
  3. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We don’t have such laws here, luckily.

The update is, I managed to get a medical certificate from my old gender therapist, with whom I discussed gender issues, so just one visit was needed. I’m going to get my name changed in the registers and we hope it makes things clearer for those who are confused about me.

Crisalide and BradThePug like this.
  4. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :grin:DD
    That's an enormous victory, wow!

Mihael likes this.