1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay vs Homosexual

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by quuquuqu, Nov 14, 2019.

1. quuquuqu

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I was recently told to stop calling myself a homosexual but for me it carries more weight. I know it sounds homophobic or too clinical to some and context is important, but I haven't felt that way lately. Gay has lost some meaning for me like it's reached some sort of semantic satiation after constantly hearing that's gay, your mom's gay, mods are gay, chat is moving so fast nobody will know I'm gay. It's true I don't always use homosexual in a sentence because it has a lot of syllables, but am I just wrong for referring to myself as a homosexual?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is it wrong? No. It's an accurate term.

But it's likely to raise eyebrows because to many people, it's probably going to sound either pretentious or like the person isn't comfortable with him or herself. To be honest, the only people I have seen who use that term are people who aren't yet fully comfortable with themselves. There's nothing wrong with that if it's what you like and feel comfortable with, but just realize that you probably won't find very wide acceptance for it.

I do have a friend who refers to himself as "a flaming 'mo" (as in "homo"), and a bunch of my friends refer to each other as poofs, so maybe you'd like one of those better than "gay".

3. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    There's something about the words "Homosexual", "Heterosexual", and even "Bisexual" that just don't sound right, I don't know why.

4. quuquuqu

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I feel the same way about queer not sounding right. I know queer has been adopted as a blanket term for the lgbt community, but it was used often as an insult in my high school. So that one leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

5. quuquuqu

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Something important I left out of the original post is what she said after. She told me to stop calling myself a homosexual because it can make me feel like I have an illness. That's how upset she was at the use of that term even though it was directed at nobody but myself.

6. Rtheproud

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Did you know that in Sweden homosexuality was considered a disease until the late 1900's so you could call sick into work like " Yeah, I gotta case of the gays."

7. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Labels are important to society — and have been since long before you and I walked this Earth. One characteristic of humans is that we label and categorize. You can even see that in the times of the ancient Romans. If you're a bottom, you might be called Pathicus which is a very blunt way of saying that you're a receiver. Or even Pusio which is boy or lad (fairly common in modern bdsm relationships the sub might be referred to as boy).

Of course male-male sex in ancient Roman culture is a well documented event, although it would be very different from what we're used to. Roman culture was based on of you were dominant/masculine/active or if you were submissive/feminine/passive. But, you couldn't normally freely penetrate a free-born male who was in good standing with society. There was specifically a law against this. However they were free to use male prostitutes, concubines, etc. In Roman society being penetrated was considered to be a loss of societal standing. There's even documented cases of two males doing the martial rites.

Anyways long story short: labels are great use whatever makes you happy. (Sorry I minored in historical empires the Romans are my favorite)

8. quuquuqu

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I had never considered the actual labels used in those times or really what homosexuality meant in their eyes, so that was an interesting piece of knowledge.

9. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ach no problem. I'm chock full of interesting information but I tend to be long winded.

10. Chizu

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly, no matter what word we choose for ourselves, there are people who are going to hurl it as an insult. Plenty of people use "homo" as an insult, and even the full "homosexual" has been tossed around as an insult for non-homosexual related things. No matter what word we use for ourselves, there's an ignorant person out there waiting to use it as an insult. People at my high school, for instance, would sometimes use the words "black" or "Jewish" as an insult. For example, if someone couldn't get their locker open, they'd yell "My locker is being Jewish!"
    I found the stupidity mind-boggling.
    You can use whatever word you want though. It isn't really wrong. People will probably judge you for your choice of words though, it's unavoidable. If you use "homosexual," people might think of you as self-hating.
    I personally don't use the word homosexual unless it's in a scientific context. To me, it's very reminiscent of plain old "homo" which has been hurled derogatorily way more than gay and queer has, and it has the syllable "sex" in it. See, that's the problem with people, it's where their minds always go. When they hear the word "homosexual," they hear "homoSEXual." One of my biggest problems with homophobic people is how they obsess over gay sex.
    I never liked how the word "gay" is used as an insult, but it did grow on me. The word "queer" never grew on me, and I don't prefer to be labelled with it. Some people will still label me queer though, and I don't really care about it so long as they don't use it to my face. I don't really care how most people label me though, so long as they don't attach any blanket assumptions to it that are incorrect.
    If you are having a conversation with someone and are prompted to clarify your sexual orientation, such as talking about dating, and you really don't want to say "I'm gay" or "I'm a homosexual," you could side step labels altogether by just saying something like "I only date guys." Of course, they'll probably immediately say something like "Oh, you mean you're gay?" But it will at least prevent you from having to say the word yourself.

11. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Huh, I had no idea anyone would consider it homophobic. I'm curious how she learned that association. To me it just seems formal and like you said more syllables, but nevertheless accurate. You could say you like guys or dudes or whatever works for you since you're referring to yourself, the choice is yours. When referring to someone else then I'd use the word they prefer just like I would with gender.

12. quuquuqu

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've never given the self-hating thing much thought. Maybe the she wanted me to be more comfortable saying "I'm gay" and got the wrong impression when she heard "I'm a homosexual" like I may not be accepting of it yet. Another reason I've been shying away from using gay to describe myself is because I've seen it used a lot lately as a blanket term for all non-heterosexual people, which is fine. Labels are just labels in the end and meanings change over time. It just loses a little more meaning to me personally.

13. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I have a completely different perspective. Among my (gay) friends, if someone does something particularly gay, someone else usually says "Fag." Or, a friend of mine posts a particularly flamboyant or stereotypical picture, I'll often respond just "Gay". One of my friends who is a shift manager had a situation where some angry customer was talking to an employee and wanted to speak to a manager. When the employee pointed to my friend, the customer said "I don't want to talk to a fag", to which my friend came up and politely said "Yeah, well the fag's in charge, so let's see if I can help you'.

And in the few cases where someone has yelled 'faggot' at me, my response has been something like "Really? Is that the best you can come up with? Criticizing the fact that I love other men"? It is pretty much immediately deflating to them.

Words have meaning, but to a large extent, their effect or power is largely what we give to them. I don't give any negative energy to those words when used in a negative context.

14. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The only time I've seen/heard it used was (aside from old scientific/medical papers) in a homophobic manner. Always comes across as clinical and like its some disease

15. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not wrong per se. Sometimes I make jokes at my expense like " a raging homsexual". I know it's hypocritical, but me making jokes at my own expense is really the only time I feel okay with the term. I was trying to specifically think why I hate it, and I think it's basically what @gravechild said.

Where I'm from "that's gay" was left back in the 2000s ( or at least early 10's) lmao

16. Poofter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because of my age I can kind of relate to the OP I grew up in a time where anything not normal was “gay”. I can kind of see how you are desensitized to that word and feel that Homosexual has more of a punch to it. When I tell someone, I usually say “I’m into dudes.” Or “I like men, but not the thol cigarettes.” It kinda lightens the mood for the follow up convo, if there is gonna be one. But among my friends it’s not uncommon for me to refer to my self as a big ol mo, fag, homo, professional panty chaser(someone who likes drag queens) gay, but like you I find when I really want to punctuate that I like the same sex I use the word Homosexual. It just seems to be that sledgehammer of honesty. There’s no gray or kidding about it. It means what it means and someone can’t take it out of context.

17. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I absolutely loathe the word "gay." I don't like it as a term for homosexuals, I don't even like it as a term for being happy. It's a word that whenever I hear it, makes me cringe. As you can probably tell from my username and profile picture, I'm a fan of William Burroughs, who was a homosexual, and when they asked him what being gay meant to him he said "I have never been gay a day in my life," and he preferred the term "queer," which is what I go by, too.

18. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I prefer "queer" as an alternative to "LGBT". It rolls off the tongue better being one syllable as opposed to four, and especially if you include more abbreviations to such as "LGBTQIA", I think "queer" works much better. Plus, I can imagine homophobic people being especially annoyed with the abbreviations.

19. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There's always "QUILTBAG," which is both an abbreviation and a word made from an abbreviation that covers most of the queer spectrum.

20. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think homosexual sounds sexy. I mean come on, it's got the words "homo" and "sexual" in it. What's not to like!