1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scared

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by NSA, Nov 11, 2019.

1. NSA

NSA

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am a 44 yr old male, I have struggled with my sexuality my whole life. I am engaged to a woman right now but my attraction to men is growing. I am not sure what to do anymore.

2. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello, NSA.

I guess that largely depends on how you feel about the woman you're with. I assume that, considering you're with her, you are attracted to and love her?

You say you've been struggling with your sexuality all your life; do you mean in the sense that you find yourself going back and forth between men and women? Or do you mean in another way (as in possibly only being attracted to the same sex, but forcing yourself to focus on the opposite)?

If it's the former, it sounds like you're somewhere on the bisexual spectrum.

3. NSA

NSA

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It feels like I am forcing myself to be with women, I know a lot of my friends and family won't understand

4. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is unfortunate. :frowning2: Give yourself time in order to be sure. But if you feel you really don't have an attraction to women and being with your fiancée is merely out of a sense of obligation, I would back out before things get any more complicated. They (your fiancée, family, and friends) may not understand, but this is your life, and it wouldn't be fair to you or your fiancée to live a lie.

NSA likes this.
  5. NSA

NSA

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you, I have never talked about this before, it's not easy. If you ever want to chat just message me

BiGemini87 likes this.
  6. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I concur NSA if you have to force yourself to be with women at some point it will become impossible to fake attraction. At that point both of your lives start to fall apart. It is not fair to either party. My experience was after many years of forcing myself to be with women the dam broke and I could no longer pretend. I urge to be sure of your sexual feelings before committing to a long term relationship with a women. Don’t worry what others may think, this is your life. Many of us fell into the trap of hoping being with a woman will make the gay disappear. I assure it does not.

BiGemini87 likes this.
  7. NSA

NSA

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    To be honest, I have been hanging out a lot with one of my friends, I never knew he was gay but we started getting closer. We kissed a few weeks ago and I got scared and left his place and haven't talked to him since.

8. cjmiller

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If I could of turned back time, I would have listened to my inner feelings and not have gotten married.

I think maybe you should at least postpone getting married until you are completely sure about your sexuality.

BiGemini87 and NSA like this.
  9. NSA

NSA

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah I am going to need to figure something out

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I concur with cjmiller. It doesn't sound like you're straight, and, quite honestly, it sounds like you may be closer to gay than bi.

You absolutely owe it to yourself and to your fiancé to hold off. It will suck to delay (or cancel) the engagement/wedding, but it will suck a whole lot more, and she will be a lot more angry and resentful, if you, 3 or 5 or 10 years down the road, come to terms and decide you need to do something different.

I suggest getting a copy of Joe Kort's marvelous book "Ten Smart Things Gay Men Can Do to Find Real Love" which has little to do with finding real love, but everything to do with understanding yourself. There are a couple of chapters in there that are written specifically for heterosexually married gay men, and I think you'd benefit from reading those. (The rest of the book is excellent as well.) It's out of print, but you can find used copies on bookfinder.com

This is also something that takes some time to come to terms with. When we contemplate any loss (in this case, loss of self-perception as straight) there are stages we go through: denial-anger-bargaining-depression-acceptance. It sounds like you're closer to the bargaining stage right now. The stages aren't always sequential; one can go back and forth, and they can take anywhere from a few minutes to months or longer to work through.

What's important is to talk about this, as you're doing now. That will help you to get a clearer picture of your own feelings, and then simply give yourself time to figure out what's next.

I would suggest talking to your fiancé and hitting the pause button as soon as you can, as this is one of those things that only gets worse the longer it sits.

NSA likes this.
  11. cjmiller

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You always have great advice Chip. You are a wonderful resource. I will have to check out the book, I'm always looking for anything that can assist my coming out.

NSA likes this.
  12. NSA

NSA

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah I am starting to think that i'm not bisexual

13. NSA

NSA

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Maybe I should text my friend

14. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You're not married yet, right? You still have time to cut it off. So do that. And if she asks why, just tell her the truth. What's the worst she can do? She can't get you for money in a divorce because you're not married. And unless you had children with her, you don't owe her a red cent in child support payments. Hell, if it were me, I'd let the wedding go through and leave her at the altar as long as I wasn't the one paying for the wedding. Text your friend like you were thinking about. I mean when it comes to me, I'm still unsure of my own sexuality after many years of exploring it. Personally I resent my sexuality and try to avoid it unless I need to masturbate to clear my head and get that sweet, sweet dopamine rush.

#14 Benway, Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  15. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Two things as CJM stated Chip’s advice is usually 99.9% spot on. He is a tremendous resource with cogent real life advice. Secondly like CJ I wish I too had listened to my inner voice and never got married. I cannot change the past however I just to help others make sure they don’t make the same mistakes. You sound far from straight and prolonging will only hurt the both of you in the end. Let’s not forget as we concentrate on our feeling that her feeling need to taken into account. It is much easier to say good bye before being married than after. Allow her to find the kind of man that can satisfy her and be happy doing so. Honestly that just doesn’t sound like you.

NSA likes this.
  16. NSA

NSA

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I broke down and told her last night. She said that she kinda knew already but wasn't totally sure. We talked for a while and ended everything as friends, she was very understanding and it made things a little easier.

Drizzle and BiGemini87 like this.
  17. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You absolutely did the right thing for both of you. From reading your posts it seems you are readying yourself to date other guys in order to determine your true sexual identity. It is completely ok to allow yourself this important exploration. Take your time and give yourself permission to enjoy the adventure you are embarking on. Being gay is not a death sentence as you will find. It opens up a door to a world that you just might find better than anything else you have experienced. Enjoy the journey.

18. NSA

NSA

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you, I have tried to message you but it won't let me message anyone for some reason

19. Goya

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey NSA. This is a big step. Be proud of your strength for doing this. I have recently done the same and know how hard it is. I agree with the above. Take your time in finding yourself and what/who may be out there for you. A life lived authentically is beautiful.

20. NSA

NSA

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    thank you, I thought it was going to be hard but she really took the pressure off.

BiGemini87 likes this.