1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay and on the autism spectrum

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by poodlelove, Nov 1, 2019.

1. poodlelove

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello folks,

I’m new to this site, I am a lesbian women in her 20s who also has aspergers. It definitely feels like a double whammy like I already have one challenge but I’m gay too. I denied that I liked women for years and years until I couldn’t anymore two and a half years ago after watching Arizona in greys anatomy who is a lesbian. I was like yeah I like girls I can’t deny this anymore. Since then I’ve dated which is huge for me because that’s all I wanted but both relationships were a couple months and the girls were both really depressed so they had to end things and focus on their mental health. So now I just really want a girlfriend. I’m on every dating app and go to queer parties and approach women all of whom say not interested, I’ll ask if they are single and they say they are but not looking and I know if I were someone else not socially awkward and had a certain look they’d be looking. It’s just frustrating because dating is that much harder for me and it’s all I want. I love kissing girls and affection and I’d be a great partner with lots to offer. Anyone else on here also queer and on the autism spectrum? I’d love to hear your stories.

RainbowCat likes this.
  2. Thunderlane

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hello. I've never been diagnosed with asperger but I pretty much have all the symptoms (high social anxiety, repetitive thoughts and behavior, etc). Sadly the wait to be diagnosed in my country is like 5 years long .
    I'm now depressed because I never managed to have any lasting relationship.

RainbowCat likes this.
  3. RainbowCat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi! I am 16, non-binary and also on the autism spectrum (and ADD). I feel you! (in a slightly different way) - bit of a "double whammy" for me too. I go to an "all-girls" school so feel like a bit of an outcast/misfit among a bunch of "real" girls...Have to wear a dress and feel very uncomfortable as everyone sees me as a "girl" when I'm just not...really sucks, I often just want to rock up to school in guys clothes and half-shaved purple hair and stuff! That would make me so happy and i could be myself.

I am kinda interested in dating someone eventually..I honestly have no clue what gender I am attracted too though and I don't even have any friends!! Everyone at school pretty much thinks I'm super weird and messed up and not worth being friends with, I think....as I'm on the spectrum and sometimes act kind of "weird" from other points of view, they've kinda been put off I guess....

I've been alone pretty much for three/four years which sucks....the loneliness really got me a few weeks ago and i overdosed.... Ended up in hospital which was hard...But I met a great non-binary nurse in the mental health ward - had a bit of a non-binary person to non-binary person friendly connection!

(Also I have a massive tendency to overshare information - I have no sense pretty much of what's appropriate to tell other people about myself. I go into lots of detail, to the point where I scare potential friends away! Doesn't really help me when I want to make friends...)

I'm really lonely i guess and I just want a friend and I want to date someone maybe, i just don't want to be ignored all the time. I want to make a friend outside of school but I have no clue what the hell I'm supposed to do. I'm really interested in joining a LGBTQ+ social group or something because I just want to hang out with people who are nice and I can relate to! so I've been looking but I'm really scared because I'm so bad socially and get really nervous.

I'm kind of scared to date someone as I'm not too great with showing affection and be confident enough to do so - I reckon I'd like holding someone's hand.....or hugging someone as long as I like them and they're not my parents/relatives....dunno about kissing someone etc., i reckon I'd stuff that up big time...