1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to not ruin things

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by faultyink, Nov 11, 2019.

1. faultyink

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    so I am with the prettiest and sweetest girl I have ever met in my entire life, and she is absolutely perfect. I could not imagine being happier with anyone else. we've been together a little over a month now (she asked me out) and I'm terrified of ruining things because I'm still kind of awkward around her, and terrible at doing anything like touching/physical intimacy. what should I do?? she's just so perfect

2. nnoconex

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey friend,
    First off, it’s great to hear that you are with someone who makes you feel so much happiness! I hope that time brings nothing but more of that to you.
    Now, anything and everything simply comes down to communication. A month is still very fresh and so there are things that are bound to still be awkward. It’s normal. It’s okay! :slight_smile:. It might be a good idea to bring it up with her. Let her in on your feelings about physical intimacy and just make sure that you don’t rush yourself into anything! Comfort is the priority. The right person will never rush you into anything and will be sure to respect any and all boundaries that you set. You just have to initiate the conversation, and you might even find that simply talking about these things helps to break some of that tension.

3. faultyink

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    thank you! that's really good advice. I've apologized about being super nervous about kissing/etc and she was totally alright with it. I would honestly love to do more, she's just such a sweet person and I don't want to mess up/poorly initiate it! and I'm not great at discussing that kind of stuff either so I'm not sure how to bring it up, do you have any ideas??

#3 faultyink, Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  4. nnoconex

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Does this happen to be your first relationship? If so, just know that your firsts with anyone are going to be a bit rocky! So I hate to put it this way, but there will be some “mess ups.” BUT that’ll come from both you AND her... it’s just part of the fun of it all! :slight_smile: You both will be able to laugh about it and grow together. You’re learning more about each other through it all, so really, it can be a beautiful thing.
    There isn’t an exact way to bring these things up. I’ve only dated one person in my life so I’m also still very young to this, but I did find that it isn’t as awkward as you think it’ll be when bringing these things up. In my experience, I found that she was actually relieved when I brought these sort of things up because she was having similar thoughts too and was too scared to initiate it! But someone has to be the one to step up to the plate :wink:.
    An idea could be to start by bringing up your feelings for her. Let her know everything (and more) that you’ve brought up here; that you think she’s pretty, sweet, and that she makes you happy, etc. and that because of this, you’re nervous about “messing up.” Just be honest. After this, everything should be smooth sailing. It sounds like she respects you very much from what you said in your last post, so I’m sure this would initiate a healthy conversation between the two of you.
    There are so many different ways you can go about these sort of things, but just be honest with whatever you say! Your feelings are valid, and frankly, very common! I wouldn’t be surprised if you find that she feels the same way in certain aspects. I know it’s a bit nerve-racking to think about initiating certain things but I promise that the payoff you get afterwards is more than worth it. :grin: