1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gender identity and high school

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by masonjar, Oct 18, 2019.

1. masonjar

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    im 16 and in high school and have been questioning my gender. idk how to come out to teachers or friends and im terrified my family will find out... help!??

2. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I would start with telling a few close friends that you are questioning. I would hold off on telling teachers until after your family (if you choose to tell your family). Now, my opinion may not be worth much, as these are things I've never done myself, but that's the best advice I can give you right now.

Waffless likes this.
  3. masonjar

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i am not going to be telling my family. they are lgbtqphobic and may end up disowning me if they knew but your advice is greatly appreciated!

4. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, tell those whom you see as the most deserving of the information.
    And then the second most deserving.
    And so on and so forth, each level of people less and less “deserving” of the knowledge. If blood family is never told, they are never told.

The way it was with me:
    Self, a former close friend, work(in a sense, I sent an email to schedule a meeting to discuss a major “life event” with them) a good friend who then confirmed her Transness with me, two separate Facebook groups, work(in actuality), my mother, my sister, those people, who inquired after my “cryptic” Facebook post about the major life change that I’d be starting at the end of the week.
    For immediate family, the last person was my little brother. Who then told my mother “I think he’s just going through a phase, just looking for attention.”(We don’t talk much at all anymore).
    I then came out to aunts and uncles, whom all welcomed me with open arms.
    It was two months after I had my revelation that I came fully out(to all except my grandparents).
    Then, at the urging of my mother, I came out to her father. He was accepting of me.
    And then came the call to my fathers parents. My grandfather was somewhat okay with it, my grandmother all but disowned me.

Tell those you can trust, that you see as deserving. If people reject you, they are not worth your time or presence.

5. masonjar

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    thanks thats very helpful

6. ivener2005

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I understand that so much. I'm 14 and I recently came out to my mom. I did it as a joke initially. It will make you super nervous and really if I could redo it I would have come out when I'm 18. If you can talk to close friends then get resources when your older and have more independence, if that makes any sense

7. masonjar

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    makes sense i guess. thanks