1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My family continues to hurt

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Peterpangirl, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's been a while since I posted. Like everyone I have my own grief and struggles and my own successes.

The other day my Mum texted me to invite myself, my children and my soon to be ex-husband to her Birthday meal. I hesitated about 4 days to reply for various reasons. I was busy and my ex likewise. He moved out after Christmas last year. Also my daughter has her Birthday around that time and I need to attend my new course one Sunday too.

So anyway 4 days passed and then my Dad called my mobile, but I allowed it to go through to voicemail as I was in the middle of something. Grumpy message needing me to get back as soon as possible and extending the invitation to ex-h, but adding, unnecessarily, that the invitation was not extended to any partners because they did not want pay for "what's her name". He doesn't even know her name. To be honest I'm not even sure he knows my current relationship status. But once again I am made to feel like the black sheep.

#1 Peterpangirl, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    BiGemini87 likes this.
  2. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello

Perhaps your family just need more time to accept your sexuality and the changes to the family dynamics.

It sounds like they liked your ex husband but you shouldn't feel obliged to take him along. Your different people now and time moves on.

I understand how you feel. I'm just in the opposite position to you. I'm separated from my wife, moved out , it's been 12 months now and in another 12 months we will divorce.

The only difference between you and me is that my ex in laws are still rather bitter!

Sending you a big hug, I think what's needed in your situation is more time to let everything heal and settle down.

I've become a much better parent since leaving the family home and the relationship with my three kids is amazing.

I think you should just do what makes you happy. Some of us have spent years being unhappy. Life is short and our happiness is important.
    Jon X X

Nic2552 likes this.
  3. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for your moral support. I really appreciate it and I'm happy to hear that your relationship with your children has got closer.

Rade likes this.
  4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Peterpangirl, I am sorry that is really not a nice thing to do. It sounds like your parents dont want to accept that the relationship you had with your ex husband is over. Regardless of anyone's sexuality or relationship status.
    I hope things improve hugs.

Nic2552, Kmermaid00 and BiGemini87 like this.
  5. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not a fun situation at all. :frowning2: I'm sorry you're dealing with that right now. It's already hard enough given the current changes in your life, but having them act that way about your new partner is pretty hurtful.

Are you on good terms with your ex? Would he even want to come to the get-together given the change, you think? Even if things ended amicably, I imagine you'd both feel pretty awkward--though maybe not, depending on how things went and the kids.

I hope things get better soon.

6. SoulSearch

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ugh! I’m sorry that your dad said that. I get that your parents are struggling, but that must have felt awful.

Kmermaid00 likes this.