1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My pills have almost completely killed my sexual desire

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Benway, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm on some pretty heavy duty medications, Klonopin, Risperdal and Lithium. I used to have an extremely high sex drive, which caused a lot of problems in my life, but since I've been on the Risperdal at least, my sex drive has been cut down by about two thirds of what it once was. I'm honestly pretty stoked about it-- I didn't like sexual arousal getting in the way of having the clarity of mind a person who isn't sexually aroused has. I was a masturbating fiend for a long time, always on hookup apps and dating websites and now all that has pretty much gone away.

I've gone from masturbating many times a week (over a dozen) to maybe once or twice a week at most. Honestly, the only thing I really miss is the release of dopamine I get when I have an orgasm, which has become the sole reason I even masturbate anymore. I really don't do it for sexual gratification, I do it because I get a hit of dopamine rushed straight to my brain. But honestly, these pills have made it difficult to maintain an erection and I can't just get one at will anymore but I'm not really that worried about it. I feel like a little part of me has been set free.

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Those drugs seem pretty hardcore. Are you set on them for a long time or are of still finding your way with them?
    Maybe your psychiatrist can make changes if he/she knows your libido is significant problem for you.
    I find this is an issue with most meds and just hope to be off meds one day.. but that isn’t going to be for a few years and just muddling through

3. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been on the Klonopin for several years and the Risperdal for a little over a year. The Lithium is new, though, I just started that this month. The libido "issue" isn't really an issue for me, in fact I kind of like having a reduced sex drive because before my sex drive was so high it was interfering with my life, now it's down to a trickle of what it once was and that's probably for the best. Like I said, the only thing I really miss about being able to masturbate at will is the dopamine rush having an orgasm gives me. I still masturbate sometimes but nowhere near as much as I used to. Now I do it maybe once or twice a week. Before, I was masturbating over a dozen times a week.

4. DangerAlex

Are you being treated for bipolar disorder? I have a close relative who has pretty severe bipolar disorder and she was on a similar cocktail of medications for a while.

I can sympathize. I used to have what I believe to be an average or slightly above average sex drive. But for the past four or five years, I've been on medications that significantly decreased my sex drive. There was a point a year or two ago where I went over 60 days without having an orgasm, and I honestly could've gone much longer but my boyfriend eventually got fed up and initiated sex.

For me, the biggest issue was always the effect(s) that my low libido has on my relationship. Obviously, having a sex drive as low as mine (while on medication) is not the norm (by which I mean "average"), so I've come to the realization that even though I may not have the desire, I need to do my part to help meet my boyfriend's needs. To meet him halfway, so to speak.

Although I may not be super into it prior to initiating an encounter, usually I get more into it as we get going. It's like I'm a car in the dead of winter; you have to rev it a little and be patient while it warms up. Even then, my boyfriend has to accept that there will be times when I don't cross the finish line, so to speak, and he's gotten used to that over time. Initially, it upset him because he assumed it meant I wasn't attracted to him, which was hard. How do you convince someone that your near complete lack of a sex drive has nothing to do with your attraction to them? If the roles were reversed, I'm sure I'd be thinking the same thing, so I'm relieved he's finally come to understand the situation a little better.

It sounds like your situation is a lot different than mine, though. I don't get the impression you're in a committed relationship right now because you haven't mentioned having a partner who's frustrated by your lack of a sex drive. In fact, I'm getting that you're somewhat relieved by your significantly decreased libido as it's made your sexual urges easier to manage. It seems that you miss the dopamine you got from masturbating, but if you're still able to masturbate, then the dopamine is technically still available to you, provided you feel like going through the motions of attaining it. But as long as you continue to see this as a glass-half-full situation, I really don't think there's a problem here. Whatever floats your boat, different strokes for different folks, and all that.

In other words, it's not a problem until it becomes a problem. By this I mean: Until you reach a point where you're actually bothered by your reduced sex drive, then keep on keeping on. When (or if) it becomes a problem, this is certainly a discussion to have with the doctor prescribing these medications. It's possible there's a medication that could be added to help alleviate the issue (which is what my doctor has done), or there might be an alternative medication that doesn't have reduced sex drive as a side effect that can be subbed for one of your current ones. Or it's possible that there are no other medications that would work for you and would not effect your sex drive, at which point you'd have to decide whether your sex drive is more important than your mental and emotional well-being.

5. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My emotional well-being will always take priority over any sexual desire that I have. I can take or leave sex, but when it comes to my mental health, I take things very seriously. I just want to get through the day feeling halfway normal.

6. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm bipolar, and have been on numerous medications for it. Trial and error. Valdoxane, Toplep, Seroquel, etc.
    Currently on Risnia (Risperidone), Epilizine (Sodium Valproate), Epitec (Lamotrigine) and Wellbutrin (Bupropion). I take other medications too, but they're for different reasons. These are just for my bipolar disorder.

I haven't really had much of a sex drive to begin with, so I won't know if it had any effect on that. My libido is weird. If I'm NOT dating anyone (i.e. not having semi-frequent sex with someone), my sex drive is almost non existent. The longest I've gone without sex was 2 years, and in those two years, I went without masturbation for I think around 6 months. Yes, NO masturbation for 6 months. So yeah, that's basically the extent of my sex drive. When I'm dating someone, I try to "fake it till I make it" (Go with it as though I'm turned on) and eventually get into it as we go, but sometimes I'm just not feeling it and I will try anything to NOT have sex that day. The thing with some men are that they have a very high sex drive. Too much for one woman to handle - and the man ends up cheating to satisfy his "cravings". Again, that's just some men. Not all men.

So if it doesn't bother you that your sex drive is at a more manageable level, leave well enough alone. Enjoy it while it lasts. I actually never really understood what the big deal is with sex. Why does it control people the way it does? It's always basically the same process, with a few variations to keep things interesting(ish). Maybe it's because I have a low sex drive, but I just never understood what the fuss is about. Oh well, guess I will just have to go with the flow... :wink: