1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out safely

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LGBTQ T1D, Oct 12, 2019.

1. LGBTQ T1D

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, my grandparents are against LGBTQ. I am bisexual and a type one diabetic. I feel like if I come out as bi to them, then I will get kicked out. With my diabetes, that will be dangerous to me. Plus, I'm only 14, so I would have no idea what to do. Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks in advance!

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't like to tell people to wait before they come out, but sometimes it's the only sensible advice that can be offered. If you depend on parents/grandparents for safety and security and you know they are opposed to same sex relationships it's incredibly risky to take the leap and tell them anyway, when so much is at risk. Ultimately, nothing is more important than your personal safety and security.

I would try to focus on the future and a time when you are independent enough to tell your grandparents without all of the risks. This might not be the advice you hoped to hear, but I really think it's for the best. In the meantime you should focus on getting good grades to springboard you to success and independence and begin to make plans for the day when you tell them about your sexuality. Start building up support networks and doing some research into what help is available to you and them so it doesn't feel like you are totally stuck and doing nothing.

JayVilla, Ram90, Verklighet and 5 others like this.
  3. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In agreement with Patrick; as frustrating and disheartening as it may be, it sounds like your safety and security depend on your grandparents not knowing.

I will add, however, that you might want to implement some sort of back-up plan in the event they find out through other means. Is there a friend's place you might be safe staying at, should the worst happen (being kicked out)? Do you have any other relatives, know of any shelters open to youth in situations similar to your own? Do a bit of research about your surrounding area and the services they offer to kids/youth, be they runaways or disowned.

I wish you the best of luck, and hope you see the day where you won't have to be afraid to be yourself.

4. masonjar

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    have you tried coming out to maybe a school counsler first and tell them what might happen if you tell your grandparents? ik its scary im 16 and my grandma is majorly against lgbtq and im bi aswell. good luck and be safe!

LGBTQ T1D and BiGemini87 like this.
  5. artsy gays

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Uh oh, that's really tough, I have come out to my parents thankfully, they support me even though they don't understand, but I fear for what my grandparents will do. Really, staying closeted, as hard as it may be, is your best option here, because it is yours and really, why do they need to know? It doesn't change anything so them not knowing even if they were supportive isn't the end of the world! I do think as mentioned by others that building up a support network is a good idea and optimizing your success now is a good plan. Being 14 is tough, I'm a 14-year-old Queer teen too, I get you, but I can promise you one thing, as hard as it may seem and as bad as it gets, it will get better, I promise.

You're amazing, stay safe and keep going:blush:

LGBTQ T1D and BiGemini87 like this.