1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do straight people ever get crushes on the same gender?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by shypixie, Oct 17, 2019.

1. shypixie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Do straight people get crushes on the same gender sometimes? Or would that make them gay/lesbian? I have only had one crush in my life and it was a girl. And I'm not sure if it was a one time thing or not.

BiGemini87 and Tightrope like this.
  2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I caught this while about to sign out. I once read that, for most people, someone of the same gender will throw them for a loop once in their life and that it passes. It's a unique chemistry with one person along life's journey. They can't explain it all that well. It could be someone they're mentoring, a new friend, etc. Feelings are hard to describe.

Is this crush in your past? A long time ago and are you now over this person? So many people are not fully gay or straight. It's not as black and white as that.

18breanna and BiGemini87 like this.
  3. shypixie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It happened in high school and when I told her I liked her, she rejected me.

I was never interested in dating anyone in middle school or high school.

I'm in my 20s now. Is it possible to be a late bloomer as an adult? Will I continue to like girls or will I like guys?

Since I've only had one crush its hard to tell what I am or who I like.

18breanna and Tightrope like this.
  4. Rin311

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all, yes, it is possible to be a late bloomer and have all those things start in your 20’s - especially if your teen years weren’t all that for whatever reason (family problems, medical/mental health issues, etc.)
    That doesn’t mean you’ve “missed out” or that you’re “late”. It’s just the way it is for some people.

I don’t know whether you’ll end up liking girls, guys, or both. Sometimes crushes can be indicative of our tendencies. Sometimes not. Realizing who you are and what/who you like takes time, sometimes years, and it’s a marathon, not a sprint. It won’t happen instantly. But you’ll get there eventually. Take care.

5. shypixie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

18breanna and BiGemini87 like this.
  6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly, I would take this "one day at a time" - overused expression, not worry too much about it, and see how things unfold.

7. DocLuvin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Definitely

8. Dreamsexul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've not done any research or anything, so I'm just saying this from my own limited experience:

I used to be straight, and have known loads of straight people. I'm going to say that the vast majority fully straight folk don't get crushes on the same gender, or ever have any attraction to the same gender or fantasise about the same gender or anything like that. Indeed, the vast majority of fully straight folk are intuitively repulsed by anything 'same-sex' romantically/ sexually.

Of course, loads of folk aren't fully straight ...

Tightrope likes this.
  9. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    By definition, a straight/heterosexual person is only attracted to people of the opposite gender. For example, a straight woman is only interested in men, and a straight men is only interested in woman.

If a woman feels attracted towards other woman, she isn't straight by definition. She may be gay/lesbian or she may be bisexual. However, the fact that she is attracted to a person of the same gender already excludes straight as an option, by the very definition of the word. The label doesn't contemplate if she is only attracted to that specific woman or if she prefers men 90% of the time (after all, a bisexual person isn't necessarily 50/50 in their attractions).

If labels feel too confusing for you, that's ok, though. You don't need to define yourself if you don't want to.

I agree with Rin311. It is totally possible to be a "late bloomer". Personally, I only discovered my orientation when I was 19 (although looking back I see I always had feelings for men too, but I didn't gave it too much thought until I was 19). It doesn't mean your orientation will change, but it is possible you haven't explored your feelings and thoughts before, especially if you live in a family or place where being LGBT+ is frowned upon (which unfortunately isn't uncommon).

Dreamsexul likes this.
  10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I read these more recent comments and this one makes sense. This is for the fully straight folks. They would have no attraction to the same gender. But would they be repulsed? Possibly if it involved them but maybe not if it involved someone else.

How do you explain that some fully straight and good looking people are really, really good at picking out very good looking people to hire or hang around with? I've noticed that. Quite a bit.

Dreamsexul and gravechild like this.
  11. Dreamsexul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Tightrope
    I can only say what I've experienced, and in those terms same-sex stuff generates a degree of repulsion in them. That doesn't affect aesthetic appreciation - they can identify when someone is good looking by societal standards. But any gayness makes them a little queasy.

Tightrope likes this.
  12. AutismCay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Opera had an episode on this and apparently yes. Everyone gets a crush on something weird every once in while. My friend AspiePie as he calls himself has a crush on one of the babies from the Rugrat's. (Yes it's the Asian One) And he is definitely not normally into woman or babies?

13. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's probably it. But by societal standards there's also a double standard - a straight woman can marvel over a beautiful woman whereas a straight man is not allowed to mention that a really good looking man is a really good looking man. Catch 22.

Dreamsexul likes this.
  14. Dreamsexul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Generally true.

15. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most people who are straight don't think about people like themselves as potential romantic or sexual partners. If they did, it would probably make them uncomfortable, because it would mean putting aside everything they have grown to believe with how the world works(it doesn't really work the way they think it does). They would be forced to reconcile that the world has a broader range of experiences that are equally valid. This is a threat to the privilege that they enjoy, which is one of the reasons that there is so much backlash whenever LGBTQ+ rights make headway and attain better protections under the law.

I think that saying, "well everyone has one crush" minimizes the validity for people who have those feelings. It's so easy for straight people to blow off experiences outside of their own as not real because it is outside their experience. Now it may be true that people experience a once-in-a-lifetime crush, but trivializing that crush doesn't do anyone a favor.

0to21 likes this.