1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tattoo collectors vs. people with tattoos

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ruby Dragon, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm curious...There are quite a number of members with tattoos, as can be seen in the numerous threads about tattoos. So my question is: At what point does someone become a tattoo collector, instead of "a person with a tattoo"? Is there even a difference between the two?

2. Poofter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends,

In my opinion, a person with tattoos usually has ink with meaning.

A tattoo collector gets ink like some celebrity or because it looked cool, they will also often have them clumped up.

Some say someone with full sleeves is a collector. Where as I see it as if it flows and it a work of art and not a bunch of crap cobbled together. Then your just a person with ink.

3. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To tack a bit of a side question onto this... why do people get tattoos?

I get liking a piece of artwork or thinking it symbolizes something you like, but why permanently put that on your body instead of just hanging a painting of it on the wall or something? It just doesn't seem very likely no matter what you pick, that you'll still like it for the next 50 years. You can throw away a painting when you're tired of it, the tattoo is stuck whether you like it or not.

The only type I can see a reason for is military tattoos, since it's a tradition and no matter what else happens for the rest of your life you'll always have been in the military, so the tattoo will stay meaningful and recognizable to others.

4. Poofter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All the ink I currently have are either military related or my kids names. I think a tattoo should mean/represent something significant or life changing there for would apply the rest of your life. But that’s just my opinion.

5. Reviskova

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i have seen people covered in individual tattoos, and have a meaning for every single one. even if someone with a lot of tattoos looks jumbled, or messy, sometimes there are personal meanings behind why they chose the tattoo and they might not want to share if you are not someone close to them. i do agree tattoos should have meaning, but, sometimes its not always "just a tattoo". and at the end of the day people can get what they want even if its something tacky.

#5 Reviskova, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  6. Reviskova

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    why do people get piercings? why do people dye their hair? i feel like that question is similar to the one you asked and there is one simple answer. they get tattoos because they want to. and, its not as realistic to say they cant be removed. the laser treatment can cost a tonne and places where you can get it done are rare, but still exist. tattoos are part of some cultures, and im not talking about the basic tribal that every white guy and his dog has.

many people get tattoos to remind them of something big that happened in their life. coming out, getting married, of a passed away loved one, getting out of a bad place, etc. and its a subtle way of showing pride and a reminder for those people.some individuals may do it to show off, however i think that is quite rare and they have the right to do so. things dont always have to have a meaning to be meaningful. (hopefully that doesnt sound too ironic)

7. Poofter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don’t disagree with what you’re saying. Simply my opinion.

8. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The difference is that dying your hair can be easily reversed, and piercings close and heal by themselves if you stop putting things in them. Yes tattoo laser removal exists, but it almost never returns the skin to what it looked like before. You can usually still see a faint outline of the tattoo stuck there forever. It's also excruciatingly painful to get them removed, hurts far worse than getting the tattoo.

tattoo-removal-before-and-after-15.jpg

9. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Piercings and dyed hair can hardly be compared with tattoos for the exact reasons that have already been pointed out.

I don’t have any and I probably never will. People can do whatever they want to themselves and some tattoos look great!
    Personally I don’t like them though.

Btw my best friend is heavily tattooed so it’s not like I’ve never met someone with tattoos or something.

10. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Everyone has their own reasons. Some people do it for shits and giggles, other people do it for something meaningful to them. For example, a lot of people who get semicolon tattoos either get it to remind themselves of a loved one who they lost through suicide or as a reminder for themselves if they have suicidal thoughts.

Personally, I don't have one but I know if I decide to it's going to be book-related. Books are super meaningful to me so I'd want to commemorate that. Something small, but it'd be important to me.

Honestly, I can only think of one person who regrets their tattoo. My on-campus boss got a tattoo of the Grateful Dead bears when she was younger and she's no longer a fan of it, but she is literally the only person I can think of.

And tattoos are very much related to dyed hair and piercings, they're all historically counter-culture. Their permanency has nothing to do with their connections to each other.

11. Reviskova

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    as chierro said, i was comparing dyed hair and piercings in a way that it both changes ones appearance and it was/is part of counter culture. i do know that tattoos are very much more permanent than both, i shouldve explained the comparison better.

oh i know, was just sharing my opinion too. thats what replies are for after all. sorry if i came off as trying to convince you or that i was saying you have a wrong opinion. as i think your opinion is totally fair. since tattoos are, well, permanent obviously.

12. Poofter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ha! Touché. Something about the permanace of permanent that makes it last forever/

13. Ruby Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, thanks for all the comments! Good points made, and I love that there's such varied opinions on tattoos/the meaning of them. Very entertaining :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Well, 4 of my 5 tattoos have special meanings. I have the semicolon behind my ear, because I have personally struggled/still struggling with depression, self harm and have had various suicidal thoughts, and one almost-attempt. Then I have a silhouette of a galloping horse on my left shoulder blade, to symbolize my love for horses and -riding. My other tattoo, a cross-heart-anchor is part religion-based, and part a promise to myself to stop self harming. It's on my inner forearm, so I see it daily/many times a day. The other meaningful tattoo - and my biggest one so far - is a Chinese dragon (I was born in the year of the dragon). The other tattoo was chosen as a cover-up of an outdated and overdone, naïve and not-well-thought-through tattoo (Chinese symbol). So I guess in a way, it does have a meaning. Just not as personal as the others.

The next tattoo I'll be getting (Actually two-in-one) is a tribute to my parents. My mom passed away last year, and she was born in the year of the rabbit, so I'll be getting her birth- and passing dates together with a picture of a cartoon rabbit. My dad was born in the year of the pig, so I'll be getting his birthdate together with a cartoon pig. The reason for the chosen pictures is simple: It "fits in" with the dragon tattoo that I got for my own birthyear.

The other tattoos I want are of a cat and dog yielding guns, standing back-to-back. The guns don't have any meaning other than it makes the cat and dog (which symbolizes my love for cats and dogs) look badass, and it makes for a great conversation piece I think. The last one (maybe last, will see) is of a gecko. Other than it being cute, it also symbolizes renewal, agility, and cunningness. And I'd like to add something to that list: Adaptability, seeing as lizards and geckos alike, drop their tails when under threat. A new tail grows back in the dropped one's place (goes hand in hand with renewal).

So yeah, those are the meanings behind my tattoos. Why did I get them? Because I wanted to. Nothing more, nothing less. It's not the same as hanging a picture of whatever on the wall. It's a piece of art you take to the grave. I guess to people who do not want tattoos/do not have tattoos of their own, it doesn't make much sense. But to tattooed people, it makes perfect sense. Keep discussing the topic. I loved reading all of your opinions/responses.

#13 Ruby Dragon, Mar 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  14. Cas girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My condolences. I really like the idea of the commemoration tattoo.

If I do get a tattoo (who am I kidding? I just caused a stir in my family by shortening my hair length– shoulder length) I would get a Phoenix. Phoenixes are cliche but I like the concept of rebirth. I feel like every difficulty or obstacle you overcome makes you a new person, essentially a rebirth. You come out stronger than before.
    Also, they are magical. And who wouldn’t want a little magic in their life?

D13F786B-D839-4DB1-9DA6-9AA6D54C6E6F.jpeg

I might go for a blue black combination.

15. Joeri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There is a difference. I, for example, have only one tattoo and while I might consider getting one or two more (just because I actually love tattoos), I don't think it's necessary for me to have them. I mean, I don't really feel the need to have them. There's a girl in my factory who is literally covered with tattoos, she has them everywhere. She really looks like a walking doodle. It's up to her to have all those tattoos, but for me personally, it's way too much. It may be just my impression, but for me it looks like hiding something.
    So yeah, just based on examples from my life, I would call her a tattoo collector, but I wouldn't call myself so. There is a difference between having a few tattoos and having the whole body covered with them.

16. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm at a healthy BMI, and eat/exercise right. Yet I'm not the biggest fan of my body. So for me it's a lot of fun to rigorously plan out a aesthetic tattoo that has a lot of meaning. It makes me like that part of my body a little more. That's how it differs from a painting.

The permanentness used to really bother me. I'm not a spontaneous guy at all. Thought years before I got my first one, and if I still like my next idea in a year or two, I'll get it. I'm not going to get something "trashy" (what does that even mean tho lol) like a skull or something pure dumb like "RIP Brian". So even if I think it's a dumb design in 50 years, I can't picture myself loathing it. I feel like they're like emotional time stamps for specific eras of my life.

17. JaymzR1968

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For me, having tattoos has been about personal expression, memorialization, commemoration and enjoying the beauty of an individual work of art (or collection of pieces that tell a story). And it’s about what I SEE WHEN I LOOK AT MYSELF in the mirror - the joy I get from the memories that some of my tattoos bring to mind, the pride I feel from the ones that represent being part of a larger group (i.e. the military tattoos), or the smile I get on my face when I look down at my arm and see my daughters names as if they are always with me. My tattoos aren’t for anybody else but me. Yes I hope others enjoy them as well, but that’s not what they’re about.

I will say I am both a person with tattoos, and I am a person who has a collection of tattoos (collection is the most basic sense - multiple items that to the individual have value either monetary/emotional) but I can’t say and and won’t say I’m a “tattoo collector” not sure of that is really a thing. Anyway...

Every single tattoo I have (14) I created and drew myself - that is also part of the connection I have to every one of them. Each one represents something very specific, important, and impactful to my life and who I am as a person. They are for ME. Sure, others ask about them and what they mean, why I got certain pieces, or just think it’s a neat picture or whatever, I guess that’s just an added bonus but they are specifically for me. They tell a story about my life, things that are important to me or challenges I’ve overcome and sometimes it is nice to share that story with others - and you know the old saying: a picture is worth a thousand words.

I won’t define anybody else as either a person with tattoos or a tattoo collector - only they can answer that, and only the individual has the right to define themselves (on Soooooo many levels).

Peace my friends ✌

I’ve attached a few of mine that are fun, just to give an idea of what I have going on.

Attached Files:

18. Ailena2493

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’d say I’m a person with a tattoo . I do plan a couples tattoo with my fiancé once we are married. And it’s going to be a universal rainbow tattoo . But that is probably it . I have a messy tattoo I got at 22 , a Celtic butterfly semicolon tattoo . It needs fixed I just haven’t had the money for it . It’s on my left wrist .

19. Ailena2493

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is my tattoo

Attached Files:

20. Ruby Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks to everyone who have replied thus far.

And the ones who have shown pictures of their tattoos, I love 'em all! Thanks for sharing.

The tattoo I'm planning on getting for my family members (Dad, (late) mom and sister) has changed. I did one of those "instant quizzes" things on Facebook, about which tattoo suits my personality, and the result was a tribal piece with a wolf's head coming out of it. I've now decided to go with that idea. I'll be getting the tribal part with three wolf heads, one for each of my family members, with my dad's, mom's and sister's birthdates and my mom's passing date. It's gonna be black and grey. Then I'll also be getting a cartoon dog and cat holding guns on my left calf, and a gecko behind my left ear. That will bring my total (of tattoos) up to 8. I think (maybe...Lol) then I will be satisfied and stop getting more. Only time will tell though... Lol

#20 Ruby Dragon, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019