1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will they be angry that I didn't tell them sooner?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Laughsalot, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Laughsalot

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I haven't told my best friends or my closest family members that I am gay.

I'm not completely in the closet. I've told a few people in my life, and I am becoming increasingly active the the local LGBT community. I'm also not that terrible subtle about my sexuality - I openly attend/take part in Pride and in LGBT activism etc. I know that many of the people in my life have probably figured it out, it's just something that I've made a formal announcement about, or something they've really brought up with me either. I've only once directly lied about my sexuality and that was years ago and at a time when I was still questioning and honestly, I didn't realise it was a lie until it came out of my mouth and I experienced how bad and wrong it felt.

The thing is, that while out at the LGBT event at the weekend I got chatting with someone and when I explained my situation, they became quite vocal and forceful about the fact that they believed I was deceiving my friends and family, that they would hate me for hiding this from them, that I couldn't trust anyone because you can't know who your true friends are until you've come out to them anyway.

It's been playing on my mind all week. I guess I am just wondering about everyone else's experience's and if many people have had reactions like this from loved ones? Were any of your friends and family pissed off because they felt like you had lied to them? I mean, I have considered that it might be a possibility in the past but dismissed that it would be a problem quite quickly and I would now really just like to find if this is something that is actually a common reaction from people?

2. Oliverrrrr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's one perspective i suppose, but i think it's unlikely.

What is more likely is that those close to you know already and don't care if you're out with them or not. If they love you then that's it, they'll accept you however, and probably they'll have worked out for themselves already. It might be kindest to yourself to come out to them, but it's for you and you alone to decide. It's really no one elses business.

No one has a right to be pissed off for not being told someone is gay or not. If any of my friends or family had tried to pull that crap i'd have read them the riot act. Whoever this person you were speaking to was i'd question every and anything they said.

Laughsalot likes this.
  3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    All the hard talks I've had, about being gay or in general, nobody's ever been mad I waited to tell them. At most I think people feel a little hurt and will self reflection on why they weren't seen as an ally :slight_smile:

lookingup9 and Laughsalot like this.
  4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dont think so at all. I mean everyone is allowed their own opinion on it but for me, its your information and you only have to share it with people you want to. Perhaps if you were lying all the time it might be different but I am sure you will tell them when the time is right.

Laughsalot likes this.
  5. 0to21

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I hate lying - usually the kind that's motivated by a compulsive need to control another person and condition them strip their boundaries head to toe on command - but situations like yours are nothing like this, so no worries.

#5 0to21, Oct 4, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    Laughsalot likes this.
  6. lookingup9

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To be honest, I did get this reaction from my mom and a little bit from my sister. It wasn't exactly an intense anger but my mom said to me "the fact that you didn't tell me sooner makes me feel like a horrible mother" She was partially mad because - after I cut my hair short, I had posted a picture on facebook that was pretty obviously "gay" before telling her. With my sister, she was mad that I had told some of my friends before I told her. After these initial reactions we talked it out a little more and I explained why they were not correct.

They are accepting of me, and their initial reactions definitely seemed like @HM03 post above where they felt like they had failed as my family members because I hadn't told them sooner. That wasn't the case though, it's just that it took me a long time to figure everything out. It was disappointing but ultimately not a big deal and I don't hold it against them.

I have come out to tons of friends and family at this point and have only gotten that reaction those 2 times though, so I wouldn't say it's common. Also, in my opinion, the person who said you were "deceiving" your loved ones was out of line. Come out when YOU are ready and not before.

Laughsalot likes this.
  7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Coming out isn't about them. It's about you and when you feel comfortable. Most people accept that and won't hold it against you, except to the extent they regret not having had a chance to be more supportive.

I think if you're at the stage you worry about the negative response of not coming out, then I think it's probably a good idea to start planning how to tell them, unless you have a really compelling reason that would cause you harm.

medamaude, Laughsalot and HM03 like this.
  8. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The one person I’ve had complain about being told relatively late is also the one person who responded in a homophobic way. My friends who were actually supportive didn’t care what order they were told because this isn’t about them. I actually feel like I told that person sooner than I should have, but let myself get guilt tripped into telling them when in reality, they were going to react badly no matter when I told them.

Laughsalot likes this.