1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my husband...but then what to do

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by claireh, Oct 2, 2019.

1. claireh

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi,

I’ve been in this forum for almost 3 years, although rarely posting, have been reading some of your life stories and most of you I can relate so much to. I am in my fourties and I always liked girls but it only started to make sense over three years ago when I met a new colleague of mine who is a lesbian. She is beautiful and absolutely perfect. We kissed once after a drunk night at a works do but both (or at least me) pretended that we didn’t remember anything. Since then I was and still am absolutely smitten by her, my heart melts when I see her, you get the picture, I am like a stupid teenager around her. To make things more complicated I am married with two kids. She was in a long term relationship until recently when she split up with her girlfriend. My husband and I had a talk last week, and I admitted to him that I always liked women and basically came out to him. He was hurt but said that he had noticed a lot it my behaviour had changed and he was suspecting something. I told him that I fancy my colleague, and he knows about the kiss too, but I played it down a bit and said that I fancy other women too. And now I am in two ways what to do. Do I at last tell her how I feel and tell her that I am gay and have come out to my husband? Or do nothing. Sometimes she is very friendly with me and we occasionally go out but sometimes she just cuts me out and doesn’t want to go out, but she has a lot going on in her life and she was hurt a lot by the split with her girlfriend too. And if I say how I feel towards her, I fear that she will see me like somebody with a lot of baggage, that might just try something for fun with her. I absolutely adore her and pains me to think to hurt her but how would you view it from another perspective. Am I too optimistic. So many other questions are going in my head and would welcome any advice

Thank you xx

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey belated welcome to EC, it is great that you decided to post. I am not sure there is a definitive answer to your situation.
    I think a lot depends on the situation with your husband, have you decided that your current relationship is definitely over? I know it is difficult to separate the 2 but you kind of need to decide what you want to happen with your current relationship in isolation to the situation with your colleague. If it is definitely over with your husband then I think it is probably worth talking to your colleague about your situation, you can either lay it all out on the table, or alternatively just ease in gradually and start by telling her that you have realised you are gay and are ending things with your husband and then take it from there. How long ago did she split up with her girlfriend?

Peterpangirl and LostInDaydreams like this.
  3. SoulSearch

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Such a hard conversation -- I've been there. Do you want to stay with your husband, or will you pursue your attraction to women? Like @silverhalo said, I think that determines your next move. Take your time to think about it and work through things so you're making a decision independent of whether your coworker is interested. (And I know that's easier said than done and didn't take my own advice, so ... there's that. Ha! It has made things very complicated in my new relationship.)

4. claireh

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hey, yes you are both right, one needs relationship to end for another one to start. And I would like to explore further relationship with women and my husband knows this, he just still hangs on to the fact that we are still together. And my crush at work doesn’t know how I feel. Her girlfriend split up with her two months ago and that hurt her a lot. But I know she is now back on dating sites.
    And sometimes I just think that I will tell her how I feel (as I guess I don’t want to miss my chance now) and she will accept me but in reality I am probably facing a rejection and this is scaring for me. I think if I say anything to her and she says no, then it will be humiliating and equally I will lose her as a friend. Aww, so difficult. another time I think to leave my work so I can forget her but when I see her at work my heart melts, and I can’t help it....
    When she was in a relationship I wouldn’t do anything as long as she was happy but now I see a distant opportunity to do something and tell her how I feel or equally to make a complete idiot of myself.

5. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well you can never tell whether someone will return your feelings or not when you first lay them on the line but that doesnt mean that you shouldn't. Why do you think you will make an idiot of yourself? Even if she doesnt like you back that doesnt mean that will be the case. I dont think it has to mean you will lose her as a friend either. I mean its a possibility that you cant rule out but I dont think it has to be that way.

Have you told anyone other than your husband?

6. claireh

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    It’s just because I won’t like being rejected, especially if she knows that I have kids, even if I split up with my husband, I guess she might not want to be my first, because not everybody does.
    I haven’t told anybody else because I know most of my friends through my husband. I live in the UK but I am from another country, quite homophobic and whenever I hinted to any of my friends I hear hate and not much understanding. I only have two people at work, both lesbians, who I can tell and they can be understanding and one of them I am in love with, ahhhh

7. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah that makes it a little bit tougher. Would you consider going to an LGBT group?
    It's true, there are reasons she might not want to be with you but that doesnt make you an idiot, we cant help who we do and dont like. Generally I would advise coming out to a couple of people on a friend level before confessing your feelings if thats what you want to do but it sounds like that might be tricky.

Drizzle likes this.
  8. Goya

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Claire. I’m in an almost identical situation which has got to the point that my boyfriend is currently away for a while and we are taking this time to think, although deep down I suspect I have already made a decision to leave. The thing is as someone has said above, the decision has to be taking this person out of the equation. If there was no you and her would you still want to leave? You mentioned that you would like to explore further relationships with women (my same thoughts btw) that’s the kind of thing to think about at this stage. I can’t be on my high horse too much as I’m finding this hard and my hearts in 2 places right now, but I know the intimacy isn’t right with my bf even though everything else is great. I’m so torn and I feel your pain. Think about the bigger picture.

silverhalo likes this.
  9. claireh

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    The honest answer is that if it wasn’t for her I would have come out now. I thought as long as she is happy and I don’t tell anyone them things will be ok. But then my husband questioned that my behaviour has changed so much and he asked me if I like women and I knew I better not hide anything anymore. My coming out wasn’t planned to happen now but it happened and now I feel freed.

Drizzle likes this.
  10. claireh

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    So a little bit of development since me last being here. I went to see a medium, and she was spot on in telling me everything that only I know. She said that I love somebody else and this person is a she(I mean nobody else knows these things). It also turned out that my work crush also went to this medium recently and the medium told her that somebody from her work is into her, but my colleague had no idea who. And this is the downside for me as I honestly thought that she has guessed at least that I like her or is she just too scared to admit it. I’ve just been so upset recently thinking to tell her truthfully how I feel and if she rejects me to find another job as it might be awkward to work together. But then I see her in the office and my heart melts, I am like a teenager, has anybody else felt like this and how did you get over this.

11. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is really random that you both ended up at the same medium. Did you go first? How did the conversation come up that you both went?

12. claireh

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning

We live in a small town and I recommended the medium to my colleague a few years ago and she went recently after her relationship broke up. When I visited the medium after and she instantly said that I like a woman she said that my colleague was with her a few weeks before me and described her how she looked perfectly, and I haven’t mentioned any names or anything.
    I also had a bit of a blow today as I found out that my colleague (let’s call her Isa) won’t dates women with kids, and this is a massive blow for me as I was keeping a tiny hope she might like me once I speak to her and tell her about my feelings. Aaah, so down and upset today . I was going to speak to her in the next couple of weeks but this development is stopping me. Anybody been in this situation before, or I just say what I feel and then leave if I get rejected?

13. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How easy do you think it would be to leave? How did you find out that she wont date a woman with kids?

14. claireh

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Well for a start I will more likely need to find another job, and i love what I do at work, but she is not only my colleague but also a manager too, it’s sooo complicated. I found out about the kids situation as I saw it on her dating website profile, as this was under her preferences.

15. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see, I mean dating at work is a tricky thing. Do you think maybe you could just start by telling her that you have feelings for girls and seeing how she reacts to that?

16. claireh

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Yes, that’s pretty much my plan now, that way I won’t be risking turning her away from me and losing her as a friend at least. And I can’t afford to lose my job as I am the only one working in our family. I mean I won’t get sacked over that but it’s going to be awkward if the feelings aren’t mutual.
    Thank you for your advice. I feel freed after I told my husband and came out to him but also so much pain too...

17. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can understand that. It will get better. Always here if you want to chat.

18. claireh

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thank you, a lot.
    As this is my first proper crush on a girl, and I’ve heard it from a lot of people that you don’t normally end up dating your first crush for various reasons, also some out of the closet girls don’t like to be your first.
    I hope I have strength and patience to go through this, as I find Isa amazing, beautiful and gorgeous. One day I think the most sensible thing to do is to simply talk to her and she’ll understand but then she either dismissed my texts or not respond, and I think it’s better not to say anything. There are also health problems within her close family, so she is worried there and I can’t really expect much attention anyway.
    As she’s been hurt by the relationship break up, I don’t want to reveal my feelings and either hurt her more and for her to think that I am taking advantage of her, so a delicate situation.

19. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well often you dont date your first crush its true, but I am sure there are also occasions where people do. I think you should look at coming out to her as a step forward in your journey rather than because you are specifically looking for something to happen between you.
    Either the 2 of you are meant to be together and it will happen or you aren't and as difficult as it feels right now you will work through it and find someone that is right for you in the future,

claireh likes this.
  20. Tartanskrt

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi. I can very much relate to you. I too am married with kids and have a woman in my life who I just can't get out of my head. I'm sure she is oblivious to this though. No drunken kisses for me. I absolutely act like a teenager round her. I stumble over my words and either make too much eye contact or not enough while we talk. We have a definite chemistry. She stumbles over her words around me too. She too is senior to me but not in charge of me. She keeps having chats about how she needs to keep her personal and private life separate with me though which makes me wonder if she's picking up on something. It's infuriating. I wish my brain would let me think of someone else. I congratulate you on coming out to your partner I'm still too scared to. You're doing so well

silverhalo and claireh like this.