1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I joined an LGBT running club :-)

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Broccoli, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Broccoli

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ... and went to my first group run this morning. I'd been freaking out all week about it - arriving on my own and meeting a whole group of new people, plus effectively coming out to all of them just by being there, plus taking the step of turning up to an LGBT event - but I forced myself to go and had the best time :slight_smile:. Everybody was so welcoming and all went for coffee afterwards, and it was so incredible to be in a group where everyone was just casually talking about their same-sex partners and dates and it was completely normal. I wasn't sure which subforum to post this is but just wanted to share a happy story :slight_smile:. I had a great time and am really proud of myself for showing up.

2. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well done you, that's great.....I went to my first LGBTQ group last September after coming out gay. Like you say, scary when we meet a whole new group of people. But these people are like a second family a year on. You may eventually feel the same about the group of people. I'm also a runner, again started last September. Could even run for the bus but now run 10k. It's incredible what we can achieve! Happy for you, Jon x

#2 Rade, Sep 28, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    Drizzle likes this.
  3. Broccoli

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks @Rade, appreciate your support :slight_smile:. I'm really glad it worked out for you.

Rade likes this.
  4. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Isn't acceptance and inclusion an incredible feeling. Good job on taking a giant step.

Broccoli likes this.
  5. Really

Woohoo! @Broccoli

That’s so cool. I run regularly at a local drop-in and while it’s not lgbt specifically, I’m pretty sure some of the women who’ve turned up every once in a while are. Runners are some of the friendliest people I’ve met. Go you! :}

LostInDaydreams and Broccoli like this.
  6. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I used to live in the LA area, and a few swim clubs (notably West Hollywood) were regarded as semi-official LGBT clubs. As in, if you were straight you might be outnumbered. There was some unkind sniping about this from other clubs, but for the most part nobody cared.