1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is It Safe to Cut My gc2b Tank Binder?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by witchybi, Sep 25, 2019.

1. witchybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've been looking at different forum sites where people were discussing tank vs half, and I saw that some people were cutting their tank binders because either it was uncomfortable or they just didn't like the compression on the stomach.

My cousin recently bought me a tank binder from gc2b and she's bringing it tomorrow. If it is safe to cut a tank binder into a half one, are there any tips/thoughts I should keep in mind while I do it? I don't want my first binder experience to be an uncomfortable/undesirable one.

2. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you haven't got it yet, I'd try it unaltered for a few days before you make any changes to it if you do decide that the full-length is comfortable for you. If you're just cutting the bottom off the binder, I can't see any dangers in doing so, just make sure if you do end up altering it, don't cut along the middle seam (cut a bit below, however it may fray if you cut it if that bothers you), and don't think you can make it tighter by bringing it in.

*If it's too tight, or too loose, don't make alterations! You should be able to return or exchange it as long as you don't cut or alter it.

3. witchybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My cousin is bringing it tonight, so hopefully I can test it out! I would have to send it back with her if not because she ordered it for me--

4. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I started out with a full tank gc2b binder. The fit is skintight and personally I didn't like the compression on my stomach, or the back sweat, or the riding up. So I cut mine in half right below the seam, and it was much more comfortable. All the binders I bought afterward were half tank.

Some people like the full tank. It looks like a type of sporty tank top so you could get away with wearing one without a shirt. For myself, I like the half tanks. But really you can't go wrong either way because gc2b is a fantastic brand. The binders I got from them lasted years.

5. witchybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'll have to try it! Right now I'm just testing it out, seeing if I enjoy it while walking around for a bit. Though I might keep it a full tank since it makes it easier to pull on (I don't have a very strong grip and the extra fabric helps).

6. E H Wildflower

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Sounds like it might not be an issue for you after all, but I wanted to add my two cents if you change your mind or if anyone else has the same question: The GC2B binder that I own has a small flaw in the stitching, such that the edge of the stretch material isn’t properly overlooked in one spot. Based on that, I can tell you pretty confidently that the material doesn’t fray, but it might tend to roll up if you leave it raw all the way across the bottom.