1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are gay and straight platonic friendships possible?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Leah061, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Leah061

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm really starting to get sick of hanging out with straight girls. Even my closest, liberal straight girl friends seem to find a way to make me feel just a little bit gross about being gay. One time I was taking some pictures with one of my friends, and in one of them she pretended like she was kissing me on the cheek, which I know is something that lots of girls do in pictures to be "cute", and it would have been fine, except once she realized what she was doing, she quickly pulled away and said "oh sorry, I forgot I can't do that with you," like her fake kiss was going to make me fall in love with her send me into a full blown gay panic. I mean, she didn't need to remind me that she's straight and I'm not and that she seems to still feel a little weird about that. She tries to ask me if there are any girls I'm seeing and things like that, and I recognize and appreciate that she's trying to be inclusive, but it always feels so forced and it makes me feel soo weird talking to her about that stuff, especially when she freaks out about fake kissing me. And of course, there's the prevailing "predatory lesbian" trope, where straight girls assume that I must be attracted to all of my friends. Over the weekend, one of my friends was talking about her other lesbian friend who asked how one of our friends was doing, and she joked that "maybe she likes her," just for asking such a casual, polite question about a mutual friend. My entire life, I've been very cautious of how I act around my girl friends, because I was afraid that I was gay and that this would make my friends uncomfortable, but now I'm beginning to feel like I literally can't do anything without a straight girl fearing that it means I'm into her. I've just never had a straight girl friend that at some point or another hasn't made me feel wrong about how I feel about other women, and I'm starting to wonder if it's even possible for lesbians and straight girls to have platonic relationships. It seems like it isn't and that makes me feel so sad because it seems like the more I come out of the closet, the more friends I'm going to lose.

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I am sorry your friends are making you feel that way it really sucks. I am curious, how old are you? I can assure you it is definitely possible, almost all of my friends are straight and there is nothing awkward about it. I know that doesnt make your situation any better but dont give up you will get there and if those people you are friends with cant make it nice then it wil be their loss, even thought that seems sad for you.

3. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    my straight friends aren't like that with me. Sure, there are sometimes jokes about us being attracted to each other, that is quite normal in any group of friends, but they don't do it to the point that I feel bad about being the only gay guy in the group. They don't "remind" me they are straight or act overly cautious about encouraging me or anything like that. They just don't make a big deal about my sexuality, and they don't make any suggestive comments if I talk about another guy. They are respectable about my sexuality.

It's actually gay men who are more likely to make me feel bad about being gay. Lots of gay men have rejected or discarded my friendship, and I can only assume its because they didn't think I was enough fun to be around. I would end up feeling bad because I wasn't following the same trends as them, but then, I was making the effort to get to know these other gay guys, and they weren't making the effort to get to know me. My straight friends have got more depth than a lot of gay men I've met.

4. Leah061

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I’m 23 and all my friends are about the same age. I mean the thing is most of the time there aren’t any issues with my friends being straight, it’s just those rare instances where they make me feel weird that I wonder what they’re really thinking the rest of the time we hang out. I just feel really insecure around them.

5. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you suffer from insecurity a lot? Do you think you are sensitive over it because you are constantly thinking about it?

6. Broccoli

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm a little bit worried about this too, although I've got no evidence that I should be. Not in my main friendship group, because there's already a lesbian couple and everyone could not have been more relaxed about it when our friend came out, but in my other less-close friendship groups. It's reassuring to hear other people say that they didn't find issues.