1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pulled quadriceps

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by ErickWolf, Sep 15, 2019.

1. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Specifically, I think I pulled my rectus femoris and/or vastus lateralis. I don't even know how. The most strenuous things I've done lately are running up stairs one morning to get to class and reaching out of the shower for a towel or something. I probably pulled it doing something stupid like one of those two things. Only thing I can think is that two stairs at a time with a heavy bookbag was too much (combo of stretching/extending legs and carrying extra weight), or that I stretched too far out of the shower while on one leg. I don't know. Could be one or both of those things, or something else. At least I think it's minor. Anyway.

I have to go to class by either walking or biking. I plan on visiting the campus nurse tomorrow after classes. But until I can get to the health center, advice please? How do I keep from hurting myself further? I have to go to class, or at least the lab (if you miss 2 labs you fail the entire course. Idk if medical reasons count, especially if I haven't been to the nurse yet). And what's worse/more harmful with this injury, walking or biking? Keeping in mind that I'm trying to do both of those things carefully and slowly. No speed walking or running, no hard pedaling, and gonna use elevators instead of stairs when possible. When I biked to get food today, I was very careful and tried to use my other leg and otherwise coast as long as I could without pedaling. And when I walked I walked slow.

And I'm trying to do RICE as best I can (since I can't exactly avoid using my legs to get to class and get food, though for food I'm trying to get all or most of each day's food in one trip to minimize leg use). One more (odd but relevant) question, what sleeping and sitting positions are best when I've got this going on? The less damage I can do and the sooner I can heal this, the better.

I still am weirded out by the fact that I've done all kinds of strenuous shit before, like rock climbing and figure skating and off road biking (including taking a tumble while biking), and not hurt myself once doing any of that shit, yet I manage to pull my quad a few days ago doing everyday shit (and I only have guesses as to how it happened - if I even noticed when it happened, I must have written it off as a cramp and then forgot about it till later in the day when I noticed it didn't seem like a cramp). Anyway, help is really appreciated. And please excuse any weird typos. I'm on mobile and autocorrect is trying to continually replace normal English with weird nonsense and wrong words.

#1 ErickWolf, Sep 15, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  2. Broccoli

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How bad is it? A minor strain shouldn't need medical attention or total bedrest, just don't do anything stupid while it's healing. Some movement is a good thing - just do whichever hurts less out of walking and biking and spin a low gear when you cycle while it's recovering. Minor muscle injuries heal well so you should be fine again soon. No point continuing with RICE after the initial inflammatory response (1-2 days).

ErickWolf likes this.
  3. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It seems minor (knock on wood). I'm gonna not start soccer until after this week (which is good bc I think it doesn't start till the weekend, or after), to make absolutely sure it's healed (that way I don't get a worse injury and then be out for the season). The only things I'm doing are walking and biking, and only to class or the dining hall, and to my dorm. Once my leg is healed, I'm gonna make sure to stretch properly before soccer and running and stuff like that (I have pretty tight leg muscles; I need to get in the habit of stretching properly). How does a not-so-flexible person stretch without getting hurt?? Would some beginning-level yoga be okay for that?

#3 ErickWolf, Sep 16, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  4. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Update, it doesn't seem bad but today went wrong; we had a totally unexpected fire drill today not too long before I had to go to class, so between frantically getting dressed and trying to hurry out the door and put shoes on, then going back in and rushing to class probably faster than I've ever gone before (biking not walking or running, idk which would've been worse), I might've overdone it. Though not by choice. There's no awful pain rn, but there is a sensation of heat in my thigh and an occasional popping when I raise the leg, like my hip pops a bit. My hips pop only rarely and when they do, it ain't fun. Also, there is a bit of pain in my thigh.

Should I ice it (I'd also take another Aleve but I don't remember when I took my last one, what with the crazy morning, and I'd rather not take one too many so ima wait till tomorrow morning), and should I probably go get this checked out by the nurse tomorrow? Honestly, I pretty much wanted to strangle somebody. I thought my leg was getting better but this idiodic fire drill when people business (having one at night would've sucked probably even worse, but I didn't expect it during the day and this early in the week, especially not smack in the middle of a lot of peoples' class schedules), and the rush to get to class, probably caused issues. The sad part is, it's not the RAs' fault, it's required and they have no choice.

Though we all know it's not just a fire drill but a room inspection. But it's not like they could've said 'just skip Erick's room because we know he'd never have booze or drugs or whatever in there' and left me alone in there. Ugh. And I'm gonna go over the syllabi again in case this ever happens again, because in the rush to get to class, I had absolutely no time to check the syllabus (to see if this is one of those classes where you're screwed if you miss it or okay if you have a medical reason). I figure next time, if this happens and I'm injured or held up and there's a class that's not an attendance freak, next time I'm not gonna go and fuck myself up panicking and rushing not to be late. No class or grade is worth me being permanently injured (or injured, period). Also, I definitely am feeling a pulling/tight sensation now in that leg, especially the thigh, no matter how I try to sit. This sucks.

#4 ErickWolf, Sep 17, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  5. Kiyoshi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In the UK if we're having health issues I know we can apply for a rest period, a break from our course for as long as we need without actually quitting. Do you think something similar could be an option for you in the US?

I don't know the specifics and how delayed we'd be here if we took some time off, but I don't want to encourage you to keep going, injure yourself more and get yourself to a point where you can't attend at all and things get even worse.

Is there anyone you could talk to on your course? A doctor? I know you fail if you don't attend lab work but I'd hope your course leaders would notice and account for the difference between someone not attending because they're hung over and someone not attending because they physically can't.

Don't push yourself beyond what you think you can take at the moment. Maybe you could even see a doctor? But I would definitely talk to someone on your course about this even if you don't do anything else, just so they're aware. It seems like you have a genuine reason things are difficult and they'd be callous to ignore you.

6. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I emailed my teacher today to tell her I won't be going (it seemed sort of better but then got worse, I can barely even walk across the room) so I'm going to the doctor instead. Thankfully the health center is about halfway between my dorm and my class building; if I give myself sufficient time and walk or bike slowly, I think I can make it.

Also on the phone they said they'd only look at my leg unless I specifically ask them to look at other things. Thank god. I don't want to deal with all that other shit in a physical (especially not the underwear-and-sheet/gown part, which as a 19 year old adult, shouldn't I be able to say no to? I am absolutely uncomfortable with anything like that. I'm not a 'prude,' I haven't been sexually harassed or assaulted, and I don't have scars to hide. I just don't like taking my damn clothes off, plain and simple), I'm only there for my leg and only because it's impeding my function and I'm not sure it will just get better on its own.

I have two exams tomorrow so hopefully I can make it. I'm hoping they'll give me a brace or crutches or something. I only have one more day this week until I can rest my leg properly, but that one day is important. I feel weird about missing class today since I'm usually not ever even late, but it's not worth hurting myself unless it's one of the 'if you miss a day or two you fail.' Even then, idk.

At least I still have books and stuff, I can still study and read and play computer games. Studying at least would make me feel like I'm doing something.

#6 ErickWolf, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Kiyoshi likes this.
  7. Kiyoshi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You do what you need to do for your health, that comes first. It looks like you’re a responsible person who’s got this as under control as you can do anyway =)

And I hope they can do something to help you

ErickWolf likes this.
  8. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They gave me a knee brace (which helps a ton, it's way easier to walk and stand properly now), told me to keep doing RICE, and if I'm not mistaken said I can take 2 aleve. I know a doctor told me that, but if I'm unsure (I took one at around 2 am last night, should've taken it earlier probably as it's noon now, which is 10 hours after not 12, but I have to leave at 12:30 for class), would cutting one in half work (if that's possible)? That way I can stave off inflammation so I can walk to and from class, and then since it's the weekend, I can rest after that and only take 1 aleve every 12 hours. That way I also won't be taking 2 full pills, so I feel like that's a bit safer. I know good doctors know what they're doing, I'm just very leery of meds in general (I mean, the ugly side effects freak me out even if I don't get them, and I never want to overdo it).

9. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Since it won't let me edit (I don't understand the weird 5 minute edit thing...). I'm not gonna cut one in half cause apparently some pills are not safe to cut in half. Idk if that's true or not but I'm not risking it. Is it safe if I take one aleve at 12:30 (last one was at about 2 am, maybe 2:30)? I'm not gonna take any more till Sunday or next week probably, I'm only taking it to make it easier to get to class. I don't care about pain (the pain is minor), this is to reduce inflammation. I just ate and had a full glass of water and the doc said to take it with food. If I take it ima take it with a glass of water or milk.

10. Oliverrrrr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think what you've been given is Ibuprofen, in which case best not cut it in half. Also, yes, best taken with food, even if just a banana. A glasses of milk should be fine too, but better something a bit more solid. Don't sweat the couple of hours though - every 12 hours just means roughly twice a day.
    Sounds like you've given yourself a tear of somesort. Give it good rest. Good luck with the exams.

11. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, exams were pretty easy, I didn't cut the pill in half, and I've tried to minimize walking as much as possible. So...one question I think I forgot to ask the doctor. Is it better to rest my leg straight or bent at the knee?

12. Oliverrrrr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rest it straight i would say. You could also look at using ice packs - plenty of info online about how best (and if) to use. After a few days some gentle stretching would probably help, but the keyword is 'gentle'.

ErickWolf likes this.
  13. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My leg seems to be (knock on wood) improving. Hopefully by the end of this week, or another week at the most, it will be better.