1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

22 and stuck in the closet

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dalto, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Dalto

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ever since I was 12 I've known I was gay, and it's something that over time I've bottled up and pushed aside, never possessing the courage to just come out. I really struggled throughout high school and university to maintain the 'straight' facade, but now that I've graduated and turned 22 I don't think I go on faking much longer. Currently living in Australia, I don't live in the most supportive country but we are making major strides in lgbt equality lately. I know all my family and friends will be supportive, but I still don't know what's holding me back. I've built up such a big wall that breaking it down almost seems impossible at the moment. Does anyone have any advice or been in a similar position? Any support would be greatly appreciated!

2. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "I know all my family and friends will be supportive, but I still don't know what's holding me back."

I think you need to dig deeper here and not just throw that line away as if it doesn't mean anything. You need to discover what exactly is holding you back, given that you seem sure to be accepted by your friends and family. There is something holding you back, and you need to figure out what it is in order to push past it. This "wall" that you have built - is it a wall of shame? Does it worry you about what people will think of you, or how they will talk about you?

I would suggest that you start small. Find one person to come out to, someone you know will be supportive and keep your secret while you are working on coming out. You will then have someone to talk to about this. Then, when you're ready, come out to your family. If you do it piece by piece, it might be more manageable than thinking of the entire mountain at once. Just step by step.

I wish you luck! You can do this.

Drizzle and quebec like this.