1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Torn

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by David54, Sep 5, 2019.

1. David54

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I’m 54. Been married for almost 34 years. Raised two kids.
    Our relationship is good except I am gay and not out. We are a good team. Ours is a partnership. She seems very happy although she is concerned about my lack of interest in sex.
    Six years ago we lost our youngest son (20) to suicide. This caused our bond to strengthen in order to survive.
    I’ve tried suicide twice myself since
    His death. I thought it was because I couldn’t live with the grief anymore. Now I realize that was only part of it. The other part was that I didn’t think I could live in the closet anymore.
    I desperately want to come out and shed this heavy cloak. But I feel by doing that I am taking a burden that is mine and placing it on the shoulders of an innocent victim.
    This is my burden. It was me who made the choice not to tell for all these years. What gives me the right to burden her?
    On the other hand I just can’t see myself continuing to be so unhappy, so empty inside, for my remaining 30 +\- years.
    If I do come out I really don’t think I’d be doing her the favour of giving her a chance to be with a man who can love her completely. I don’t believe she would pursue another relationship.
    Honestly...I just don’t know what to do.

Joolz66 and MBM4K54 like this.
  2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey its a really tough decision to make and one that i think everyone in your position struggles with. Perhaps it is not to see it as though telling her will be liberating and good for her but rather to think of it as a necessity for your own health. I am sure she would rather know your truth than find that you had committed suicide due to not being able to live in the closet anymore.
    Let's say for a moment that your son had been in a situation where he was married to a girl and had a child before he committed suicide. If he was in a similar position to you, what advice would you give him? I am sure you would tell him to just be honest rather than take his own life.

Cinnamon Bunny likes this.
  3. David54

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Your absolutely right. Thank you.

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know it doesnt make it easy. EC can try and help support you through it if and when you think the time is right.

Cinnamon Bunny likes this.
  5. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    David.....I have walked a path a lot like the path that you are on. I have been married for 41 years, three grown sons and 8 grandkids. I reached my crisis point on December 25, 2014. That night I sat at the same computer that I'm typing on right now. I was looking at the empty closets webpage, but hadn't made a post yet. I also had a full prescription of 90 pain pills setting in front of me. I felt that I could not continue pretending to be straight...pretending that everything was just fine in my life. At the same time I didn't think that there was any possible way that I could ever come out to my very religious family or to a conservative community where I am very well-known. I felt completely trapped with no way out. I finally chose to give empty closets a chance. I typed a short post begging for help and then I sat aside 10 minutes for a reply or I would take the pills. The wonderful people here on EC saved my life that night. They treated me as part of their LGBTQ Family. They were there to help me at my lowest point and continued to be there for me in the months that passed. It wasn't an easy journey, but with my empty closets family I have learned so much, I have changed so much. Let us do that for you too. Rant when you need too! We will listen. When you need a shoulder to cry on...we'll be here for you. We will share the things that have helped us with you...you never have to be alone again! With the help of empty closets and a wonderful therapist, I have been able to find acceptance for myself. I have even been able to like the person I am...to stop all of the anger, shame and guilt that I carried for so very many years. I have been able to come out to my wife...she has accepted me and we're staying together. I know that this is not the path that everyone takes, but it is the right one for me. Wherever your path takes you let us here on EC walk it with you. I am so sorry for the pain that you have had to endure in your life. We so very often ask why did all this have to happen. I don't have any better answer than other people...but I have learned that I can pick up the pieces of my life and go forward dealing with one decision, one life-choice at a time. Please keep us posted as to how things are going for you...we do want very much to help. You are a part of our wonderful LGBTQ Family and we do care for you...we care vey much.

Another David :gay_pride_flag:

6. David54

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I
    I appreciate that. Thanks

silverhalo likes this.
  7. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lot of us have been in your position and it's the most difficult decision we ever have to make. I'm sorry and sad that your son took his life, just awful and the hurt and pain must stay with their loved ones forever for people in these situations. .
    Alot of us do eventually decide to come out and I was 42, married to a woman and I'm the father to our three children. Those first 6 months after I left were the toughest in my life but the dream to live authentic and proud to be gay was so strong one day I thought enough is enough. After 18 months the whole family is in a good place.
    I think you said your 54 so you have many years to live if you choose a happy gay life and you will meet someone for sure. The app I was on had loads of guys over 50.
    I left when my children were 13,10 and 6. But I'm actually a better father to them now I don't live with them, though I see them very regular.
    Think carefully what you really want for your future and then grab it be the balls.
    Today I actually wore a LGBT heart badge on my jacket when I went out. I just have such pride for the LGBT community and now co run a LGBTQ social group in my area which 104 local people have joined!
    Life is what we make it and this could be just the beginning for you.....
    Jon x x

David54 likes this.
  8. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The decision to come out is difficult and filled with many conflicting emotions. The decision to act on coming out and leave the safety of the known to venture into the unknown is even more challenging. The ability to finally live as an openly gay man is the result of making those tough decisions. They are not easy and take courage but t in the end worth it.

9. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi @David54 -
    I hope you get comfort knowing you're not the only one. Feeling isolated and confused, I reached out here on Empty Closets a year and a half ago. Things are much better now, even though I still have hurdles to overcome.

I know what you mean about burdening your wife with the truth of your sexuality, it's not what our wives thought they were signing up for. I strongly hope you realize that if you were to harm yourself, that would be a far greater burden to bear.

Posting and reading here is a great resource. Do you have counseling resources available to you? It really helps to talk out loud, particularly with someone who understands LGBTQ issues.

You're not alone, David54. Having you here helps me to remember that I'm not alone either. Thanks for joining.

=Sevn

FooFight54, quebec and Rade like this.
  10. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yup. Been here. "You made your bed, now you have to lay in it." That thought process was what kept me in the closet for a very long time.

I don't have a good answer for you. There are choices you can make, but each one carries its own consequences, only some of which you can see now. I came out, as you said, because I simply couldn't live in the closet any more. Indeed, that's the point at which most of us do come out, when continuing to be closeted becomes intolerable. It seems that perhaps you are reaching that point yourself?

I would suggest to you that in your efforts to avoid burdening your wife, suppressing who you are will ultimately burden her the same. As you have pulled away from her in your waning interest in her sexually, romantically, intimately, you are burdening her. As your health becomes increasingly compromised by stress, pressure, suicidal thoughts, anxiety, depression, you are burdening her. The closer you get to truly accepting yourself as the gay man you are, it will likely be very difficult to keep this all in without it affecting your moods, temperament, and relationships.

You came to this site because you are struggling with this decision. I'm sorry to say that the feelings and thought processes that brought you here aren't going to go away. Perhaps you can see a therapist and work through this process?

Landgirl and quebec like this.
  11. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi David,

"You made your bed and now you have to lie in it" is pretty much how I felt for years and years and years. Then I met a man and fell deeply in love with him. I realized I had never really been "in love" before. That is what precipitated my coming out. It took a year, and right until the last minute, I was never sure I'd be up to it. Flash forward — it's five years later. My wife and I still live together in our family home where we raised two children. The "love of my life" is no longer in the picture (he disappeared two weeks after I came out), but my wife and I both have steady boyfriends, and we sometimes make up a foursome for dinner or holidays with the kids (who were totally accepting from the get-go). In two weeks I'll be 69. I'm still very active sexually, and these past 5 years have been the best of my life. Not all outcomes are as good as mine, I realize, but I truly believe that the stronger the bond you already have with your wife, the better the chances for a positive outcome in situations such as these.

I would also say that being here, on this web site, in the year preceding my coming out, helped immensely. After I came out I also joined a men's group in Seattle for fathers coming out to their families. I'm not sure that such a thing would exist in Nanaimo (where, incidentally, my mother was born, in 1910), but it wouldn't hurt to look. Good luck, whatever you decide to do!

John

quebec, FooFight54 and Rade like this.
  12. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Someone above mentioned never being truly in love with their wife. I really get that. If we are gay I don't think we do really truly love our wives. It's a different type of love we have for them.
    I didn't realize this till I left and had a much younger boyfriend for three months this summer. I knew the relationship wouldn't last because he was very complex. But I also remember having these feelings at 42 I had never felt in my life before, difficult to explain. But I was on my way to falling in love for sure.
    On another note, if I'm honest we have a duty to tell our wives in the end because we are being dishonest and we need to set our wives free to find true love and happiness. Well that's what I felt, like at 42 I had set her free. She's only 39 and deserves to be truly happy too.
    There can still be a relationship between ex husband and wife. I talk to mine most days, we have children together so I need to communicate. Yes she was very bitter for 12 months but life goes on. And she even invited me round for dinner the other week. She has a BF and we all sat round the table together! With the children! I know he isn't the right BF for her but that's none of my business.
    Most of us do eventually come out because we can't no longer hide it any longer. I felt like I was going to explode and I felt really very unhappy. Coming out has changed my life for the better for sure. It made me a much happier person and I have many friends in the LGBT community. Yes it takes a huge amount of courage to admit to the world we are gay but that's what we are, and we should be proud and not ashamed.

bluehorizon and FooFight54 like this.
  13. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yesterday at Starbucks I noticed a hetero couple sitting together. Their body language, gently leaning in toward each other, their facial expressions and motions, everything said this is a couple in love for the long haul. I'm left wondering, do I not feel that because I married the wrong woman? Or do I not feel it because I married the wrong gender?

14. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sevn

Everyone deserves to feel what you describe. You once mentioned that you did have a relationship with a woman where you felt those types of feelings. Maybe there is the answer you seek there rather than looking at your relationship with your wife?

When it comes down to it, we deserve to be with someone who we can be happy with. I almost wrote "someone to make us happy". But, that is no one's responsibility except our own. I think that happiness can be pretty complicated. For some of us, the traditional family unit is something that we believe makes us happy. But, I wonder if sometimes we confuse contentment and fulfillment. We become afraid to rock that boat even though no one can flourish in the status quo?

dirtyshirt84 likes this.
  15. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never knew true attraction until I was with another man. Suddenly a curtain lifted and the passion romance and sensuality was there. It felt so incredibly right. 3 years out and 2 years into the most loving exciting relationship of my life. Never have looked back those painful memories of years in the closet have faded. Embracing being gay has made me a best and much happier person.

FooFight54 and Rade like this.
  16. cjmiller

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    David, I'm not sure I can offer much advice since I'm in the same positon as you, but just wanted to let you know your not alone. From what I can see there are a lot of great people and advice on this site that will help you.

17. David54

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you. You make some very good points. I appreciate your input. I think the reality of it is this is not going to go away. Your right. I am seeing a therapist and we are working on a plan. Thanks again for your support. Take care.

18. David54

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It’s a sticky position to be in isn’t it?
    Thanks for your words of support. Yes, EC is a great place full of wonderful people. We’re lucky to have them. Take care.

19. David54

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you soooo much. You have no idea how much your post means to me. I’m crying after reading your words and writing this reply. Crying happy tears. To feel loved and accepted....there’s no other feeling like it. Yes, one life decision at a time. That is how I am going to look at it. I think that will help to lead me forward.
    I will post again with an update. Hopefully soon. I’m hoping my wife will accept me and and that we will be able to stay together. That would work for me also.
    Again, thank you from the bottom of my heart for being so kind. I wish I could give you a hug right now.
    Take care, David❤️

Goya and FooFight54 like this.
  20. David54

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi Quebec;
    Is there anyway we can have a conversation via this site? I’d like to talk specifics with you without cluttering up the board. If not here is fine.
    Thanks, Other David.