1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Canada's First Chick-fil-A Opens

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by HM03, Sep 6, 2019.

1. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  2. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Grumble. I've never eaten at the chain. Dont want to. The owners / founders are LGBT haters.

The title of the article: Canada's Only Chick-fil-A Opens To Wave Of LGBTQ Protests.
    I say good!

#2 brainwashed, Sep 7, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Agreed. I just can’t support a business that doesn’t support me. Also I can never drive a Hyundai or Kia because I heard their antiLGBT as well.

4. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting.

5. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm a total hypocrite.

This little bi boy eats there a lot, and to be honest, I like their food. I'm sure there are other companies whose services I use or support that have beliefs completely against what I believe in. That does not mean I am going to abandon those companies. It would be like cutting friends out of my life just because they don't have the same views as me.

Plus, in a way it's a personal act of defiance. They don't know I'm bi. How are they gonna stop me from eating there?

6. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's too bad since Canada has such good human rights laws and at least seems far more advanced in that and other important areas than the US. I won't eat at one

7. IronGospel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I personally don't care about the beliefs of the place as long as their food is good. I have a weakness for their fries and now their chicken has improves quite a bit. The only issue I have with them is the price.

8. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not blaming the customers, but I'm also honestly sad to see people saying they don't care. At the very least, I would be extremely uncomfortable eating in a place like this.

LGBT+ people die everyday because of hate speech and actions promoted by these ideas. I simply cannot support a business with a clear conscience, knowing that they may use my money to contribute to these actions, even if indirectly.

Yes, it won't objectively change much if only some of us stop eating. But people should be organizing protests against this kind of thing, not shrugging off and ignoring this.

The roots of LGBT+ opression isn't in direct violence. That's the result. The ideas that generate these violent actions, however, are promoted and generated by people with power, money and influence. On the end of the day, hate and prejudice are ways of controlling people and, in many cases, generate more money. If we don't look at the origin of the problem, at those who have power, money and influence and help to promote this kind of thing, then we will have a really, really hard time (to say the least) fighting against prejudice.

Now, I repeat: I don't blame the customers. They aren't responsible for this and, in one way or the other, we are all purchasing things from companies that are involved directly or indirectly with "very problematic practices" (to say the least). However, doing it consciously, from a company that is openly anti-LGBT, is, in my opinion, questionable. Personally, I wouldn't feel good supporting a place like that.

9. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This says a lot! I definitely agree. Honestly when I found out they supported anti-lgbtq causes I didn’t immediately stop eating there. It wasn’t until they made the public announcement about how inclusive they were and did it again. I lost respect. I would have stopped right away had they said “hey, this is my beliefs and I’m not changing it...” I’d have thought they had balls and been like I’m do you boo, but they didn’t. They lied and continued to do what they were doing.

It’s hard to buy my favorite candy now because they said they aren’t gonna stop purchasing chocolate from child slave labor because “it would impact us costumers.” I’m hoping the class action against Nestle will force change. So I don’t purchase it any where near how I use to... but I slip.

I just think it’s really time to put your money where your mouth is. If you’re cool with child labor throw down on the candy, if constant attacks and legalize discrimination against the lgbtq community isn’t something that bothers you to support eat the waffle fries... I just think it’s best to be honest about where companies stand and the consumers who support their actions.

10. IronGospel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Then you guys have stronger morals than I do. My stance is that the one with power makes the rules, which is true (in the sense that power comes in many forms). "Justice without force is powerless. Power without justice is tyrannical."

Personally it doesn't matter to me so long as their stuff tastes good. I tend to separate the product from the people making it.

11. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But power isn't absolute. After all, society wasn't always like today. Feudalism, with its Kings and Emperors, fell for a reason, and it wasn't because they decided to. People have more power than they realize most of the time, and history shows that sometimes, people do realize that hey can change things. :wink:

In a personal level, I just wouldn't feel good giving my money to a place that promotes the kind of speech that is responsible for destroying the lives (sometimes literally) of many LGBT+ people. Of course, challenging this discourse in a more effective level would require more than just not eating there, but it's a small start to realize the impacts of consumption and production, and how money is used by companies, especially the ones that are openly pro-violence.

12. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    See to me it's this:

Just because the CEO or founder feels that way does not mean the rest of the employees do. I doubt there's a space on the job application that asks "are you homophobic?"

One voice does not equate to the masses.

13. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very true. But the silence of the masses allows that voice to have control and a massive amount of power. That’s the problem.

14. IronGospel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Not really, history shows and so does psychology that humans like to be told what to think and what to do (no matter the side). Anyone who can provide confidence and direction has more power than the masses do (look at the cult leaders of the past and you'll see). The masses don't change things, it's the leaders who tap them that do. The masses are more like a tool.

I know power isn't absolute, but I'm not going to argue for morality or some objective sense of right and wrong. There doesn't exist such a thing. It's whoever marshals the power needed to make their vision of reality manifest.

15. IronGospel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    It's also worth noting that society isn't that much better today. Humans have grow more tribalistic and disconnect from each other than ever before and the internet instead of connecting folks gave rise to groups and ideas that would have died in the past.

16. Gaetano

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At the end of the day, basically all of these corporations are immoral and should be reigned in.

Coca-Cola Death Sqauds, for example, in Guatemala.

These corporations dont have a heart. All they care about is money. They will destroy this planet, the human race just to make a quick buck.

Something needs to change. We cant keep boycotting or 'supporting' this corporation or that. Its so confusing and so annoying when you just want to eat something or buy some clothes... these corporations shouldnt exist and their CEOs should be on trial.

17. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  18. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I honestly don't understand all the fuss over Chick-Fil-A, it's a greasy fast food restaurant that brings nothing new to the table that just happens to be run by Christians who hate gays. There's nothing special about them. Think about it, I go to McDonald's for a Big Mac, or I go to Burger King for a Whopper, or I go to Wendy's for a Baconator. Those things make those places special. But Chick-Fil-A has no Big Mac or Whopper or Baconater. They have a shifting menu that offers mediocre chicken and peculiarly shaped fries that gives people the illusion that they're special.

I honestly don't know how they even stay in business, let alone are always packed. They're not very good.