1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it normal for bi people to swing hard the other way after a breakup?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by NotQuiteANerd97, Aug 27, 2019.

1. NotQuiteANerd97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    About a month ago, my then-girlfriend broke up with me after a few months. It was a peaceful split, and it happened mainly because she decided she wasn’t in the right place in life to be in a long-term relationship. Pathetic as this may sound, this was pretty much the longest relationship I had ever been in, and the most satisfying. I was pretty inexperienced before it. Obviously it hurt really fucking bad. But I slowly moved on.

All the while I’ve noticed my sexuality changing. Before I met my ex and while I was with her, I considered myself bi but leaning heavily towards women. And hell, I even felt this way in the week or two after it ended. But since then, I’ve been feeling increasingly gay. I had been with men before meeting my ex, but I considered my feelings for them both romantically and sexually to be lesser in intensity. Not anymore. I’ve never been more attracted to them than I am now. My relationships with men in the past have been purely sexual, but now more than ever, I want to date one.

My new uni semester started just recently, and unlike previous semesters where I was desperate to find a girlfriend, I feel more relaxed and open-minded. I’m back on that ubiquitous app and all that jazz, I’m open both to short and long term stuff, but with preference on the latter in the long run.

After the breakup but before starting class, I was excited to date new girls (my major is full of em), but as of late, I haven’t felt a particular desire to pursue anything with them. Hell, I find them less attractive than ever with a rare exception here or there. If anything, I wanna befriend these girls and be their gay bestie, cliche as that sounds. Only now have I become mature enough to appreciate how great platonic female friends can be. Part of me wishes I could be full on gay and keep things simple. Hell, sometimes my same sex attractions are so intense that I feel like end up feeling more gay than bi. And before I know it, I see a beautiful woman somewhere and that’s what reminds me.

I know this seems super abrupt, but does this happen to anyone else? Does anyone find themselves craving the sex that their ex is not, or do your desires stay the same? I think in some ways my last relationship, despite being a great experience, left a bad taste in my mouth with how it ended. I’m not opposed to dating another girl, but right now the desire just isn’t there. When I was younger, I saw meeting the right girl as the main goal with guys being something of a hot indulgence on the way there. Now I feel like they’ve switched. I desire both, but for the first time ever, I feel mostly gay.

#1 NotQuiteANerd97, Aug 27, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    ken867 likes this.
  2. PennyT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alrighty, to begin with - whatever you are feeling is valid, despite what you have felt in the past or what you think you should be feeling. Don't feel embarrassed or ashamed of feeling something. Your normal is normal and so it can't be weird.

I don't know that best advice to give you, so I'll just start with my experiences as a bi person. A few years ago, I had a six month relationship with another woman. (Btw, it's not pathetic to have never been in a "long" relationship. You do you. Better have shorter relationships and be happy than be stuck in a miserable long one.) Towards the end of our relationship, when I felt like things were falling apart, I started experiencing a lot more attraction towards men and much less towards women. I started feeling "straight". When we broke up, I immediately went back to liking women more than men, and I felt more "gay" again. I think this was, because I wasn't allowing myself to feel heterosexual attraction while I was engaged in a homosexual attraction kind of relationships, and my brain wondered if maybe that "forbidden" heterosexual attraction was a way to avoid the hurt that the homosexual attraction was causing. If that makes any sense. Kind of like, the grass is always greener on the other side.

More recently, after very minimal dating these last few years, I swing back and forth. Some weeks, I'm more into men, and some weeks, more into women. Sometimes (rarely) I'm at an equilibrium point. Before the relationship, after I came out to myself, I was mostly attracted to only women, and so I think that my relationship actually did trigger something in me to feel how I do now. So, I can kind of relate to your experience.

Overall, I'd suggest just going for how you're feeling. If you're feeling more "gay" right now, explore that. Be the gay bestie to those women and find a cute boy to date. That doesn't detract from your bi identity. It's more of an aspect of your bi identity. There's nothing wrong or weird about that.

3. NotQuiteANerd97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really appreciate your response. Honestly, I just needed to vent about what was going on in my mind. I know my identity is valid and I’m incredibly proud of it but I was just feeling overwhelmed by thoughts. Overall, at this moment, I prefer men generally. Like I said, I still find some women very attractive but unless she blows my mind with perfect chemistry, I have little to no interest besides friendship. I’m honestly craving something long term the same sex. I’ve had plenty of sex with men, but nothing more than an FWB situation. I guess it’s just a matter of finding them. Or maybe it’ll just happen when I least expect, I dunno.

4. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes it's normal. I tend to focus on my partner's gender and notice my other attractions less, during a relationship. When the relationship is in trouble, the other side flairs up.

I leaned quite strongly towards the opposite sex when I was 14, and if you'd told me my longest relationship by my mid-30s would've been with another guy, I wouldn't have believed it. There was a point in time in my early to mid-20s when I leaned somewhat gay-ish, around when I first realized internally I was bisexual, and I was more excited to use my newfound powers. Though I never leaned more than 80-20 in either direction. After my last relationship with a guy ended though, years later, I got into a strong female mood once again.