1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting onto Prep in England, UK

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by bi dystopia, Aug 26, 2019.

1. bi dystopia

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi, so I was wondering if anyone knew how to get around the minefield of trying to get onto Prep in England on the NHS. I've previously been told that I wouldn't qualify for it because I don't have anal without a condom and how getting HIV isn't a big deal now and that I should just accept the low risk from oral sex or anything else. However - this isn't good enough for me and I am constantly afraid of catching HIV from doing anything - an existing anxiety condition doesn't help matters.

I've been told I can get it privately and the clinic will support me, but it will be £30 per month and I am currently unemployed and can't really afford that.

Does anyone know how I could get on it for free, other than just going in and lying that I've had a load of unprotected anal? Can you get it from a clinic in Scotland or Wales in the same way that people from NI come here for abortions, or do you physically have to have a registered address there?

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In short, you don't meet the criteria for receiving PrEP through NHS England. If you lied about your sexual activities, you might (just might) be able to join the PrEP IMPACT trial that's being rolled out for 10,000 higher risk patients over three years, but you certainly wouldn't meet the criteria based on what you wrote in your post because you are practicing safe sex at all times (good on you for doing that, by the way).

An alternative option might be to contact the Mags Portman PrEP Access Fund, via the Terrence Higgins Trust. The MPPAF is open to people who might otherwise be unable to obtain PrEP, but I'll be honest and say I don't know more than that. If it's exacerbating your anxiety condition, that may carry some weight. Further info is available through the Terrence Higgins website - https://www.tht.org.uk/our-services/online-services/mags-portman-prep-access-fund

Hope this has helped a little.

bi dystopia likes this.
  3. bi dystopia

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thankyou for your advice Patrick! That's very helpful.

My friend and his boyfriend have said they are going to just lie about it to try and get onto the trial, but I hate lying and I would worry that someone in a worse position might not get it because of me.

I will look into that access fund anyway.