1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I LIKE SOMEONE FOR ONCE - how do I approach them?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ConfusedBiGirl, Aug 23, 2019.

1. ConfusedBiGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    HELP! I am currently 19 years old and haven’t been interested in anyone properly since I was 16 but have now started working with this guy who I am really attracted to. I have incredibly low self-esteem and think that’s why I never let myself get close to anyone because I don’t want the rejection or inevitable break up to set me back further, I never let myself experience anything because I’m so scared of a negative outcome but it means I’ll never get a positive one either. I consider myself ugly, fat and overall very unattractive, and although this has technically be disproven by the fact people have been attracted to me and told me otherwise, I have found it so hard to love myself since I was raped and pick at every little flaw, so the thought of liking someone and them not liking me back and therefore confirming those flaws is terrifying hence why I never take things further with anyone. Although I am getting more and more confident and attempting to build myself up, I know how fragile I am. The guy I like is 27 and so I’m scared I’d be too young for him, we work together but it’s a temporary position and if nothing happens soon then chances are I will never see him again. I am stuck in the old fashioned way of thinking that in a male-female (which is typically dom-sub) relationship the male should make the first move, not necessarily because they have to but because if they were interested they would (and be dominant about it) and so I fear he doesn’t like me in the same way or he’d have done something about it, I’m terrified of making the first move and being rejected, especially because when girls do they are labelled ‘crazy and desperate’ and especially with the age difference, I would come across so naive. There have been a couple of moments where the two of us have been alone but been interrupted where I feel something could have happened, for instance there was mild hinting at going home together but then another girl was quite drunk and needed help home so when we walked that way we just ended up going our separate ways. What should I do? I really like him and ideally want something to happen but I don’t know how to go about this, I’ve always rejected guys in the past because of all my negative experiences but I only have positives to say about this guy so far. Nothing remotely has happened between us, there’s just chemistry and I wouldn’t want to lose out on my first feelings in three years. What should I do?

2. britishbakura

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    just ask him out on a date and see where it goes, being scared it normal, but you can't let that fear of being hurt affect your love life, you have to accept that if he does like you and you end up pursuing relationship together you're going to have to share your vulnerabilities with him. you have to take the risk of being hurt to be in a relationship.

ask him for his number/social media, pick something you think you'd both like to do, food, movie, mini golf whatever, and make it clear to him it's a date, worse comes to worse is he says no, and then you'll at least have an answer and won't be second guessing yourself, but from the sounds of it you have chemistry.

in regards to the "you think the male should make the first move thing" you have to accept he might not be a big masculine man really, us guys are just as sensitive, he might like you and be nervous, he might like you and be completely oblivious to your feelings, make your feelings known regardless of the gender roles you have in your head.

hope that helps

britbakura