1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are the signs of a closeted gay man?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by gravechild, Aug 14, 2019.

1. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This man in particular has had various people ask or imply he was gay in the past, claims to have been "tricked" into the home of a gay male couple as a child before escaping, and is particularly interested in stereotypical gay male shows involving fashion, home decorating, as well as ice skating. He was caught once watching Magic Mike and immediately changed the channel when his wife came home.

Claims to have been given directions to a gay bar as a joke coworkers would play on newer employees, goes to Pride alone ("just curious"), and doesn't seem much interested in women at all (two relationships, total, in fifty something years), yet is hugely into female singers and other entertainers/celebrities.

He was raised by all women, and had quite dominant sisters and a mother. Also the youngest of his siblings. Loves to wear tank tops and has quite "feminine" body positions. Has had gay sites come up in computer search history, which he blamed on someone else.

Tightrope and Hope4love like this.
  2. Maddox232003

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Dunno but it does sounds pretty gay. Most likely him but some maybe noticeable physical signs (except for advanced things such as pupil dilation), I am bisexual myself but mostly gay and same to one of my friend/ex-crush. We do hand signs a lot when talking and other boys? Not so much, and they usually put their hands if pockets etc etc. Does he do it? Of course there are also males that just seems to be feminine as well.

gravechild likes this.
  3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Stereotypes are stereotypes. Meaning, I know people who are totally straight that happen to fit a number of gay stereotypes. That said, stereotypes often have some basis in truth.

If this person says he's straight, all you can do is take him at his word. He may be closeted, he may not. But conjecturing with the intent of taking any action based on conjecture would be wrong and could be terribly hurtful.

NoName87 and gravechild like this.
  4. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Or he may be straight but curious, questioning, or bisexual...

Sometimes when we jump just to “gay” it leaves out nuances.

And if his co-workers are really going that far with their practical jokes, I wonder if they sense something. If it was a practical joke, not something he said as covering his tracks.

gravechild likes this.
  5. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I forgot to mention that he seems to spend quite a bit of time with an openly gay co worker, and takes "business trips" across the country often. His wife says he's leading a "double life", hence being so secretive/defensive.

Apparently he's aware of the rumors, as he half jokes about people's perceptions/reactions.

That was my first thought, too. One gay friend said he pinged his -dar, and another coworker used to pat him on the butt and say, "You're a little suspect"

Another time, someone genuinely asked his wife if he was gay, and he didn't speak to that guy for many months after that.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Again, as I said above,

gravechild likes this.
  7. bi dystopia

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    And yet you feel the need to ask if he might be gay?

gravechild likes this.
  8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    He could have a much stronger than average feminine aspect. Some of the items are a little bit on the "strong" side. Are you just curious about this person or do you want to ask him or need some confirmation?

LOL. Hasn't everyone seen "Magic Mike?" Or maybe not? I never knew seeing "Magic Mike" meant anything. I saw it in a hotel. I was in my pajamas, about to fall asleep, and flipping through the channels. I watched it. I thought it was sort of boring. The most interesting thing about it was how weird their lives were and how they all ended up on this dance troupe. It also had some big time brawls in it yet no arrests were made. Once was enough.

#8 Tightrope, Aug 16, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    gravechild likes this.
  9. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Come to think of, I don't think he's ever specifically described himself as "straight"

Just curious. If it isn't already obvious, I'm speaking about my father. No idea about MM, but it was a bit strange that it was the stripping part, specifically. I've always found Channing Tatum overrated, and remember discussing it with a female friend who thought the same.

I forgot to mention a few weeks ago he was watching a scene on a show? where two guys were holding hands and staring into each others eyes (can't remember if they kissed). The whole time, he was focused on the scene, muttering, "what the hell?" and "I don't know whats going on here..."

He was apparently a fan of the film "Cruising", as he brings it up occasionally. Seems to have made an impression on him.

No idea if its related to "internalized homophobia", but he likes to bring up how when I was young and had an "effeminate voice", taught me to "man up". He blames my mother, aunt, grandmother, etc. for that. Because of his upbringing, he's a bit critical towards women and always putting them down. We didn't have the easiest relationship (he was into all kinds of sports, and seemed to favor my more athletic older step brother).

10. bi dystopia

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, it wasn't obvious you were talking about your father.
    It could be that he is bisexual, but comes from an age where either nobody in his generation identifies as bisexual, or else feels uncomfortable with the term. It could also be he just doesn't feel comfortable talking about it with a) family or b) anyone.

Does he know that you are bisexual?

gravechild likes this.
  11. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi. I came out to him a while ago, but we haven't talked about it since, and I think he's secretly hoping I'm "confused" or its a "phase" (he was also the one who said "I've wondered..." maybe due to having few girlfriends growing up).

Do you think his possible repressing is responsible for him being such a miserable person, drinking, making "I'm lonely" facebook posts? He's retired now, but spends more time away from the family.

12. bi dystopia

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, it sounds like it. Most confidently straight people don't actively and verbally question their sexuality, particularly at that age or with that kind of behavior.

Why don't you try bringing it up with him again. Maybe he talks about it but wavers on a full conversation because he wants to be questioned on it.

gravechild likes this.