1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does it really set you free to come out to your parents later in life?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Poofter, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Poofter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents are older. My dad 74 my mom 61. Does it set you free when you come out to them? Like really? I have been struggling with this. I have tried to send the message several times but I delete it instead. I don’t know why at 40 I am so afraid of this. I support myself and have a good career. I am just so afraid to lose them because of it. Any advice?

Tightrope likes this.
  2. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Poofter,
    I came out to my Mom. I felt like I needed to say it, not keep it a secret once I knew it. I knew she would love me unconditionally, so there was nothing to be afraid of on my part. Freeing? I guess so... it means I’m not in the closet.

Who you come out to, and when, and how — these are completely up to you.

Poofter likes this.
  3. Poofter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the reply. My fear is she won’t be accepting of it because of her religious beliefs. But I have always been close to my mom and I just feel I need to tell her. I have talked to her about everything in my life. I just can’t seem to muster the courage to rip the band aid off so to speak. My parents are literally the last two people I have left to come out to, and I know I was saving them for last because of the fear.

I have a great group of friends who support me. I don’t know why it bothers me so much.

4. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't really speak to the later in life part. I came out about 28 years ago when I was about 21, so not really later in life. But I can say it was the moment where I really did feel like my life began. Of course, I was 21 so my life sort of was objectively beginning. But in all seriousness, it really did change everything. It took all the fear out of my sexuality--once my parents knew I never gave a second thought to anyone else knowing.

Poofter likes this.
  5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you know how your parents (your mom) views LGBT people in light of her religion? Has she made comments about them in the past? Do you have other LGBT people in your extended family? Do you have a partner in your life or are you dating with some success? I only ask because some people feel more of a need to come out when they do.

It's hard to answer without knowing more about your parents and how their minds work. It's great that you have a lot of friends who know and support you because you felt it was important to you to cross that bridge. Congratulations on that.

Poofter likes this.
  6. Poofter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents are Jehovas Witnesses, so they believe it’s a choice you make and that it is a sin against God.
    Yes, she has made lots of distasteful comments and was why I tried so hard to be the straight guy they expected me to be.
    Yes I have a cousin who is openly gay, but is also an addict. She has a very low opinion of him. No others that I know in the family.

I do not have a partner, I have had a couple very short 3-4 month relationships that ended because maybe I wasn’t ready yet or they were in my option very incompatible with me. But I go out and have a good time meeting folks. I had two marriages almost back to back that ran the course of 21 years. So I’m kind of enjoying being me. And for the first time being all of me. I don’t want to rush anything because I’m really savoring the experience. I have never been happier, and from the closeness I have always had with my mom I don’t want to have to hide it. And want to be able to share my joy.

Does that make sense? Am I crazy? I am prepared to be shunned, although I hope that’s not the outcome. I have built a good support network of what I refer to as my Friendmly. So I know I will still be standing on the other side.

Tightrope likes this.
  7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do think it makes sense, and knowing more about your parents' beliefs and comments in the past, I can see the predicament you are facing. It doesn't matter how old we are, what kind of relationship we have with our parents, there is always a part of us that wants to be accepted and not lose what we do have - which you identified as being one of your fears.

People can and do change - at least this has been my experience. My parents' cultural background, world views made them come across as not being all too open towards LGBTQ+. One particular moment stands out. I still remember my mom's comment and reaction when same sex marriage was legalised in Canada. The news item on it showed the first gay couple getting married. Let's just say, this would not have been the best moment to come out. With time though, both my parents changed and I didn't realise it until I came out to them when I was 31 years old.

It is good that you have a support network, which probably has already helped you in getting to the point of feeling that the time is approaching. From the sounds of it, it is quite possible that your parents will need some time to process everything, if you do decide to come out to them.

I am wondering, have there been any changes in how your mom and/or dad view the LGBTQ+ community, over time? Or have your parents' statements stayed the same?

Drizzle and Poofter like this.
  8. JustASilly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’m 37 and came out to my parents as being on the gay side of bisexual just over a week ago. My mother is very religious and does bible study and prayer every single day for hours a day. That said, she has been accepting of homosexuality, so she was very kind and understanding with me, which made it much easier. Since she was fine with it, it did feel like a huge weight was off my shoulders.

Holding this stuff in and pretending like I hadn’t been with men was making it so I was living a double life and in serious denial. I had substance abuse issues and severe depression and anxiety from living like this. Once I was out to people who truly mattered to me, it made a huge difference and I no longer had to lie to everyone, including myself. I have even started dating men since coming out, and that has been wonderful so far. I have finally come to terms with myself and can be mostly open and content in my day to day life.

I can’t say that you will have similar experiences, because I have been dealing with very accepting people. I was the one who had the biggest problem with it, and now I can truly be OK in my own skin. I know it’s tough living life in the closet, being someone you think other people want you to be, so I hope you can find happiness in your life.

Drizzle and Poofter like this.
  9. Poofter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it has lessened in the extreme degree over time but, it’s still pretty extreme. My best friend who knows my mom pretty well, she thinks that my mom will just magically change into accepting it, not over night but she says it won’t be long. Her words were, there will be a small grief period and then it will be like this is the way I have always been. I dunno though.

10. Poofter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know the double life, while I have not has substance abuse issues, I definitely understand the anxiety of it, and it made me an angry angry person. I was depressed most of the time to the point that I thought the world would be better without me. Not that I was suicidal, but I didn’t care if I died. I started coming out a year and a half ago. And in that time my mood has changed. I get to experience joy and happiness and, I love living life to the fullest. This is my last hurdle to being totally out to everyone. Then I won’t have to hide anything anymore. And I am really looking forward to that but getting this courage to do it. Is just seemingly impossible.

Thanks for sharing, it’s an encouragement for sure!

Tightrope and JustASilly like this.
  11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I read your background. It sounds like she might be more likely to disapprove. But then you're her boy, so you never know. It's not a choice. It's only a choice to act on it. And if heteros act on their needs without being chastised, why shouldn't you and others who like the same gender or both genders? I can't stand how this is such a big deal for religious people.

I had no clue you've lived such a full life in a short time. When did these feelings and attractions start coming into view for you? Any children?

Poofter likes this.
  12. Poofter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok, well might as well throw it out there. Lol. I knew I was into boys at a young age. Kissed a boy for the first time at 6. Lost my virginity to a guy at 12. Was with him until I was 16. We kept everything discrete because in our town in the early 90s that was very taboo. Guys just didn’t do things like that. He crushed my heart. Just out of the blue shunned me. Started dating girls, joined the don’t ask don’t tell army at 17. Got a girl pregnant at 18 married at 19, that lasted till 2006, divorced, dated guys again, got a homosexual conduct discharge from the army and went home, and right back into the closet. Got married again to a woman who was a good friend, came out to her 3 years later, stayed together for 7 more for the kids. And then we dissolved our marriage under good terms, no lawyers involved. And that’s when I decided no matter the loss I was not going to repeat my past.

I have 6 kids. 21, 18, 16, 11, 10, & 6

13. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Reading over your last couple of posts, I do think that you owe it to yourself to live your life without the hiding, or the feeling of needing to go back in the closet. It's good that you were able to depart your marriage on amicable terms and made the decision to make the changes that you felt are needed.

Definitely give it a bit more thought on how you could approach coming out to your mom and also preparing yourself for that it might likely take your mom some time to come around to it.

How do you feel about perhaps needing to give your mom the time and space on coming around?

14. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I'm being honest, I don't think your parents will take it well. I have yet to hear of any Jehovah's Witnesses reacting in a supportive way towards children who come out, so I'm not going to tell you it will all be fine now. In time, they may arrive at a place of toleration, but you do need to be prepared for the 'long game'. Having said all of that, you do need to come out, so you can finally live with complete authenticity. The last 18 months has seen a change in your mood and a return to joy and happiness as you've started to come out and be honest about the feelings that have always existed - even during the years of marriage. Unless you can take that final step there is a risk of regression as you begin to feel stuck on your journey.

The reason I came out to my parents is because I wanted to be able to date other guys and not have to carry on a relationship behind closed doors (even assuming another guy would put up with that). Again, it comes back to that point about living authentically and if we can't live like that and live life to the fullest something is wrong.

Sounds like you have built up a good support network to see you through a difficult period with your parents. Did you say you have a message that you've tried to send? What does it say?

15. Poofter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be honest. I am in my home town 4 days a mont so, I have no problem with giving space. I do park my car there while out of town but I have back up arrangements if necessary and, I am ready to give what ever time she needs even if it’s ten years.

It’s probably not the best, there was a long version and decided maybe shorter and simpler would be better, because the long one made it sound like I was apologizing over and over. I don’t want to be apologetic. I’m not sorry. I am me. So here’s my short version:

Mom, there is something I need to tell you and have wanted to most my life. I am gay. I have dealt with the anxiety of it long enough and tried my ass off to live a life that I didn’t think would disappoint you. But I can’t deal with the stress of it anymore. I can’t live in fear of who I am and relive my past over again. I hope you can choose accept me and not hate me because of this.

Short and simple. Tear the band aid off so to speak.